starting strength gym
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Young "master" novice log.

Default Young "master" novice log.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm looking forward to doing a LP; it is long overdue.

I'm 40, first picked up weights at 30, but mostly didn't know what to do with them. It's a miracle I've not managed to kill myself.

Until perhaps two months ago, I'd have classes myself as a late-intermediate lifter, based on amount of experience and some 1RM metrics. Then I read SS, PP, and am nearly done reading Sully's "Prescription." Now I suspect I've left Novice gains in the tank, and I hope to draw them out.

I plan to start tomorrow, following the LP prescription as nearly as possible with some caveats:

1) No Powercleans. I'll replace those with Pendlay rows. Yes, I read Rip's statement that Pendlays aren't a replacement for PCs. Yes, I noticed that he typed it in bold. But I'm awkward, and slow to learn movements of all kinds, and until a SSC makes his way to Phoenix to lay hands on me until I can PC without looking like I need prompt medical attention, I'm going to row, please and thank you.

2) The next 60 days will be tough for training, time-wise. I may be limited to two or sometimes one session per week at parts. I've been military for going-on 20 years now, and sometimes schedules just don't line up with my druthers. But come early August, I should be able to hit 3/wk consistently.

3) I'm going to do pull-ups intermittently, even at the beginning, because I need to be good at them for my "sport" (military).

4) I'm not going to allow more than 5lbs of weight gain ... For now. In August, like my schedule, that will change.

Current stats:
    Age 40
    Weight 193
    Height 71"
    Waist circ 36 at widest point

Current measured 1RMs (All from Q2 of 2018):
    Squat: 350
    Press: 190
    Bench: 300
    Deadlift: 395

Lord-willing, workout 1 will be tomorrow. Intended:

Squat 285*5*3
    Bench 245*5*3
    Deadlift 345*5*1
    Weighted pull-ups 45*2*5

I'm quite excited to see where a tightly managed LP takes me.

Blessings;
    GeoffDB

You are strong now but just wait. You will be much stronger soon. Welcome.

Thanks, mate. I'm excited to train tonight. Battalion meeting in 15 minutes, and I'll have my gym bag under my feet the whole time daydreaming.

Success.

My written log has the warmup sets recorded, but I met my mark on the three main lifts, and exceeded the mark on my weighted pull-ups (sets of 3 instead of 2).

Squat 285*5*3
    Bench 245*5*3
    Deadlift 345*5*1
    Weighted pull-ups 45*3*5

Comments: Possible depth issues on reps 1 and 4 of the squat. I used to squat reaallllly low; now I'm trying to go no further than is absolutely necessary. I still have misses.

Bench feels strong, but I'm going to begin microloading immediately to prolong progression.

Deadlift feels good. I am satisfied with the flatness of my back in the video. If you think it looks odd that I do a second Valsalva at the top before putting the weight down, I agree. However, by the time I get up there I feel like I need the air, and I like to be tight when returning the weight: I've gotten some back tweaks from putting the barbell down without full tightness, so I'm trying to counter that.

If I'm doing this right, this URL will lead to my channel on YouTube and show the last working set of each lift:

YouTube

Interesting antidote to loss of breath. I've never tried it and I don't know anyone else that has. I'm not a coach. Perhaps someone who knows more about this than I do may have some comment. I'm 71. My top single is 341. My top 5 x 1 is 325. What do I know?

Workout 2:

Success.

Squat 290x5x3
    Press 157x5x3
    Pendlay 195x5x3

Comments:

Squat depth looks good to me across all five reps of my final set. Video shows some wobbles after rep 2 which continue throughout the set; my barbell sleeve made contact with the pins in the down position which broke my concentration somewhat. I salvaged the set, and I think I may drop the pins from position 7 to 6. Video at YouTube

Press progress was greatly helped by my purchase of microplates. I bought from MicroGainz at half the price of Rogue, and they all weigh out correctly on my food scale. The hip-drive-layback used in SS 3ed is still eluding me. My body feels like it's doing what Rip says to do, but in video, I'm just not seeing it. My reps made lockout, though, and no knee-bends, so I'm chalking it up as a win. Video at YouTube

Pendlay row: No video, because who cares? I set out to do 185x5x3, but the warmups flew off the ground, so I went with 195. This may mean sooner-than-intended microloading, but that's okay. I've got recent experience with these at 225, so I know I've got some progression room.

General comment: Initially I said I'd skip the PC altogether. As I watch more videos of Alan Thrall and Rip teaching the movement, my confidence increases that I might be able to execute. In August, my life changes in a few ways, which will mean more consistent gym time, less stringent military weigh-ins, and more ability to train new movements. I think at that time I may also introduce the PC.

Workout 3:

Success.

Squat 295x5x3
    Bench 247x5x3
    Deadlift 350x5
    Weighted Pull-Ups: 50x3x5

Comments:

Squat depth looks good. Felt heavy today; sets felt like RPE 7, 8, 8.5. Still goofing with camera angles; I like this one best so far in general, but I think I might to a straight front-to-back angle next time to check my knees. I suspect the movement I'm seeing in the video might be my knees tracking inward vice outward. Video at YouTube

Bench Press felt more stable this time. I've changed my lower body setup somewhat to achieve less wobble. Video at YouTube

Deadlift was a chore in the warmup. Because I felt tired, I bumped all the way down to 135 for first go (last time I started warmup at 225 because I felt warm from squats). Then triples through singles up to a last single at 325, which felt very tough. I was surprised, therefore, that the working set at 350 felt very easy. RPE 7 maybe: I could have pumped out another 3 for sure if I went to bone-grind. PROBLEM: I still lift my danged head up on the deadlift, even though I've faced away from the danged mirror. I'll try to remember not to, next time. PROBLEM: I see my toes twitching up off the surface on all reps but 4th. Video at YouTube

Pull-ups were good, 50lbs for five triples. For now I'll stick with triples and continue to progress intensity.

What helps me keep my head down on deadlift is to focus on a spot a few feet in front of me and keep focused mostly throughout the lift.

Yeah, I'll have to give that a go next time. There's really no safe place to look in my Globo-gym, but I can make do.

starting strength coach development program
    Workout 4:

Success.

Squat 300x5x3
    Press 159x5x3
    Pendlay 200x5x3

Comments:

Squats felt heavy. I recorded from directly in the rear, so I can see some knee-cave; not what I'd call an alarming amount but I'll keep it in mind. Also it seems my hips are slightly uneven at bottom ... or maybe it's the camera that's uneven? Hopefully I can find out in Austin in a couple weeks -- I'm hopeful I can do a face to face with Joyce or Jarrod at Luke Barbell. Video at YouTube

Press felt good but heavy. I'm going to switch from 2lb jumps to 1lb jumps. My fifth rep of the last working set, my heels left the platform, which annoys me -- more a failure of discipline than strength. Video at YouTube

General comment: Last two squat workouts in a row, I've "felt" like I was too weak to complete each working set. But miraculously, each working set manages to happen so far. If I understand Practical Programming/Starting Strength correctly, I'm supposed to continue until I *actually* miss reps, not until I merely think I will miss reps, so ... onward I drive.
    Last edited by Geoff Bischoff; 06-17-2018 at 08:37 PM.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast