Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mr. Al Waze Benchday's Quest for [Starting] Strength

Default Workout 11 = FAIL

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Wow! Glad that workout is done.

For workout weights/sets see post titled Workouts 10 - 18

-Energy - Didn't feel like lifting this morning (5:45 am) . . . but got it done anyways. A triple shot of espresso always helps.
    -Squat - Took a while to get warm. Starting to get heavier (especially this morning). Depth could be better. I have to remember to focus on this each repetition.
    -Bench Press - 255 is still quite light. I believe I maintained contact between the glutes and bench for all reps on set 4 (see form check in post above).
    -Power (Cleans) FAIL - I now have a great appreciation for Olympic weightlifters (and anyone that can do a decent power clean). Form was @!#$ . . . definitely going to have to drop weight and focus on getting some semblance of technique. I almost didn't post the form check . . . at least it should give someone a good laugh, and I'll be able to better remember where I came from when I can finally do one correctly.

-Other Notes - Power cleans will continue; however, I will be adding in barbell rows, as my form needs so much work, that I will have to drop the weights to nearly nil. Therefore, to continue to stress the lower back and upper back on my "non-deadlift" days, rows seem like a good option.

Default Workout 12 - Mental Midget

Workout 12 was rough.

-Squats - felt great.
    -Press - still working on getting more hip drive. Felt easy and light.
    -Deadlift - it is true . . . pride goeth before a fall . . . in my case, a fail. I vastly underestimated the deadlift today. I wasn't mentally prepared, and I couldn't muster rep 4.

-Observations - some days are better than others. Don't underestimate the bar and weight . . . because just when you do, it'll crush you. Mental preparation is key, and I wasn't with it today.

-Workout 13 - I will give 295 another go, as 285 for 5 reps went pretty easily.

You lift and learn . . . until Monday . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Al Waze Benchday View Post
    Mental preparation is key, and I wasn't with it today.
    I myself am learning this the hard way as well. It's a huge player. Someone told me that in the first phase of LP, it's all physical. Then you get to this point... the battle is half physical, half mental.

Respect the weight, but don't doubt yourself. When you start to think you can't do it (because for most people on an NLP, they never have), then you set yourself up for failure.

Default Workout 13 - Another Day, Another Deadlift

For weights/sets/reps, please see the last post on the first page of this thread.

Observations
    • Squats - Word to the wise = don't eat junk food and drink the night before heavy squats. My squats were off, as I was attempting to hold back the onslaught of . . . well, you know. This unfortunately sabotaged my form, as I was focusing so hard on holding it in, that I couldn't focus on the form.
    • Bench Press - Felt easy. Glutes are coming off the bench. Maybe a wider stance will help this.
    • Deadlift - Ahhh . . . relief! I was quite discouraged after last workout. My lower back felt like it was going to explode (even though I was doing my best to keep decent form). In high school I deadlifted sumo (pulled 350 at bodyweight of 170 my sophomore year). So, it was time to give it a try, and I'm so glad I did. No pain. Yes, yes . . . I hear it now. I'm not a special snowflake; I should be deadlifting conventional . . . while this might be true, I don't care. Sumo felt great, and I'll do rows to supplement my back for the work I'm missing out on.
    • Sweat(pants) City - Sweatpants in a 90 degree garage makes for one hot lift, but it saved my shins from my Rogue Ohio Power bar's aggressive knurling.
    Last edited by Mr. Al Waze Benchday; 07-06-2018 at 07:44 AM.

Default Workouts 14-15 - Tough and Less Tough

For weights/sets/reps, please see the last post on the first page of this thread.

Observations
    • Squats - To work on - focus on pushing the legs (knees) out at the bottom so as to not round the back. Focus on keeping weight on mid-foot and not drifting forward. Still having issues with this.
    • Bench Press - 265 felt easy. Glutes aren't coming off the bench (as much). On the final set, I adjusted my stance (a little wider) and that made it easier to keep the glutes on the bench. Also, I lost count on the last set and performed 6 reps. Oh well . . .
    • Overhead Press - 130 went up well. Hip drive . . . not so much. Need to focus on shrugging at the top of the movement - for every rep.
    • Sumo Deadlift - 295 went up for 4 reps . . . I was gassed by this point. Should have just put up another rep, but I was pleased.
    • Light Day (Workout 15) - The lower body and back needed a break. 80% of workout 14's working weights was used. I'm looking forward to my weekend off.
    • AMRAP Day - Last Saturday I gave myself 7 minutes to complete as many chins as possible. I completed 12 (3, 3, 2, 2, 2). I plan on performing this same routine tomorrow, along with some curls, calf raises and lateral shoulder raises. Nothing too taxing.

Default Workout 16 - Getting there . . .

Observations
    • Squats - After a light day (last Friday) and two days to rest over the weekend, squats felt relatively easy. Also, I took a wider stance and tried to force the knees out at the bottom of the movement in order to avoid rounding of the back - the back felt much better
    • Overhead Press - 135 - an easy 4 sets . . . Hip drive or not . . .
    • Sumo Deadlift - 305 easy . . . a little rest goes a long ways. Did I bounce some reps? Yes. Did I crush the set? Yes. I'm quite encouraged by this result.
    • AMRAP Day - Last Saturday (7/7) - 14 chin ups in 7 minutes. DB Curls of 50 lb. X 7, 6, 5 and a few DB lateral raises.
    Last edited by Mr. Al Waze Benchday; 07-10-2018 at 06:55 AM.

Default Workout 17 - A Light Day is the Right Day

Observations
    • Squats - 210 was quite light. I really concentrated on fixing the knees in position (before reaching the bottom of the movement) and trying not to move them forward at the bottom.
    • Bench Press - 270 felt good for 5 sets. Did 5 sets because my wife came out in the garage while filming the 4th set, and she didn't want to be in the clip . . . so, I just did another set. Also, I won't be benching again until Monday, so I decided to get another set in. After all, every day is bench day!
    • Sumo Deadlift - 245 . . . I consistently underestimate light days. This was more difficult than I was hoping for. Each set must be approached with focus and resolve.

Default Workout 18 - YEAH BUDDY!!!!

Observations
    • General - In the words of Ronnie Coleman (8 time Mr. Olympia), "Everybody wanna be a bodybuilder; but don't nobody wanna lift no heavy ass weight!" How true it is . . . I now understand better than ever why everyone (including me) is so weak. Lifting heavy requires a mental fortitude the general population is unaccustomed to. I am trying to break my habits of cognitive laziness and overcome the challenges "set" before me (including but not limited to my working sets).
    • Squats - 265 was heavy. Set 2 was the easiest. Back "pain", but this is not real pain (not related to injury, but merely nociception), and I must just push through it.
    • Overhead Press - 140 . . . getting heavier.
    • Sumo Deadlift - 315 . . . Same comments as workout 16, just 10 lbs. more.

Default Workouts 19 - 27

Here is the log for workouts 19-27 . .

-Squats - Working on depth, not drifting forward, setting knees during 1st half of the movement, pushing knees out at bottom

Notation: Weight in pounds X Sets (Set Number of YouTube Link).
    Note: All sets were performed at 5 reps, unless otherwise specified.

# Squat Bench Press Deadlift Sumo Chins Rows
    Workout 19 270 X 3 (2) 275 X 5 (5) 4 reps, 3 reps
    Workout 20 215 X 3 (2) 145 X 4 (4) 325 X 1 (1)
    Workout 21 275 X 3 (2) 280 X 5 (5)
    Workout 22 150 X 3
    Workout 23 280 X 1, 2, 2 reps
    Workout 24 275 X 4, 5 reps; 295 X 3 reps
    Workout 25 275 X 2 (2) 280 X 3 (3) 3 reps, 3 reps
    Workout 26
    Workout 27
    Workout 28 275 X 3 reps, 3 reps 275 X 5 reps, 6 reps
    Workout 29 155 X 2 305 X 3 reps 2 reps
    Last edited by Mr. Al Waze Benchday; 08-09-2018 at 05:48 AM.

Default Workout 19 - Diddly Squat

starting strength coach development program
    For weights/sets/reps, please see the weights/reps post on the second page of this thread.

Observations
    • General - This workout was difficult. I'm gassed.
    • Squats - 270 was heavy. Set 2 rep #4 is what I want to see more of; rep 5 - not so much. We're getting there.
    • Bench Press - 275 - got to watch the glutes coming off the bench . . . getting heavier.
    • Chins - threw in a few at the end. I'd also like to do some rack pulls on my non-deadlift days. I need a hyper-extension bench . . .

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast