starting strength gym
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mr. Al Waze Benchday's Quest for [Starting] Strength

Default Mr. Al Waze Benchday's Quest for [Starting] Strength

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Any and all comments are welcome, especially if they are related to form/programming improvements!
    Age 30 years old
    Height 5'10"
    Bodyweight 245 pounds
    Waist in Inches 43"
    Body fat % ~25%
    Years of Lifting 15 years
    Goal bodyweight 225 pounds
    Goal Lifts 350 BP, 350 Sq, 405 DL, 185 OP, 15 chins
    History Bodybuilding movements; no squats; no deads

I've always enjoyed "lifting", but have never focused intensely on gaining strength. Instead, my goal was always to gain muscle mass via hypertrophy centered training. While fine and good, I feel I will no longer gain any appreciable mass until my overall strength improves.

To this end, I have purchased (and am reading) Starting Strength and plan to follow Rip's novice progression for as long as possible.

I will continue to add accessory movements such as curls, calf raises, lateral raises, pressdowns, etc. into my routines, but not at the expense of my recovery and adaptation for the overarching purpose of strength.

As you may notice from my form checks, I also have some fat to lose. My highest body weight was 268 pounds. I'm currently down approximately 25 pounds. My goal is reduce my waist size to under 40" and have a body fat percentage somewhere around 15%.

Current Starting Strength Progression through 3 weeks:
    Note: All lifts are at 5 reps per set, unless otherwise noted
    Lift Workout 1 Workout 2 Workout 3 Workout 4 Workout 5 Workout 6 Workout 7 Workout 8 Workout 9
    Squat 135 X 3 145 X 3 155 X 3 175 X 3 185 X 3 195 X 3 205 X 3 215 X 3 225 X 3
    Bench Press 185 X 3 205 X 3 225 X 4 245 X 4 250 X 4
    Overhead Press 95 X 3 100 X 3 105 X 3 115 X 3
    Deadlift 185 X 1 205 X 1 225 X 1 225 X 1 235 X 1 245 X 1 255 X 1 265 X 1 275 X 1
    Chins 4 reps, 3 reps 4 reps, 3 reps 4 reps, 3 reps 5 reps, 3 reps 4 reps

Form Checks
    Comments:
    Squat: tracking too far forward; heels coming up at bottom of squat; need to sit back and maintain weight over mid-foot.
    Deadlift: completed all reps in one set
    Bench Press: need to focus on maintaining contact between the glutes and bench for all repetitions
    Overhead Press: need to work on hip drive; elbows need to start in front of the bar
    Lift YouTube Link Lift YouTube Link Lift YouTube Link Lift YouTube Link
    Squat @ 195 Set 3 Click Here Squat @ 205 Set 3 Click Here Squat @ 215 Set 1 Click Here Squat @ 225 Set 3 Click Here
    Overhead Press @ 105 Set 3 Click Here Overhead Press @ 115 Set 3 Click Here
    Bench Press @ 245 Set 4 Click Here Bench Press @ 250 Set 4 Click Here
    Deadlift @ 245 Click Here Deadlift @ 255 Click Here Deadlift @ 265 Click Here Deadlift @ 275 Click Here
    Last edited by Mr. Al Waze Benchday; 06-22-2018 at 08:40 AM. Reason: Update with workout 8

Welcome. I cannot open any of the You Tube links.

Hi carson, thank you for the comment. I have corrected the links.

Squats look ok.

Deads need much work. You aren't locking out. Stop breathing during lifts. You have done a few singles but not 5 x 1. You must do them all one after the other. I couldn't tell for sure if you are wearing shoes. While it isn't necessary you will find that proper lifting shoes will give you better stability.

Do you have the books? Soon you should go face to face with a certified SS coach.

Thank you for your comments.

I have updated my original post above with my last workout and form checks.

Squat - still a problem; working on flexibility; mentally focusing on maintaining weight over (mid-foot) without bringing heels up at bottom of squat.
    Deadlifts - all reps completed in "1 set" (no release from the barbell or standing between repetitions).
    Bench Press - trying to focus on maintaining contact with the bench for all repetitions, and not allowing leg drive to raise the glutes off the bench.

Can you do all five reps of the workset on the DL within 30 seconds? Can you lock out? Can you stop breathing while weight is off of the floor?

Thank you, carson, for your comments.

I believe my form is improving.

Below are my latest form checks (they can also be found in my first post, along with the weights/sets from my 8th workout).

Squat: focused on pushing knees out more; keeping weight mid-foot and not drifting forward; not allowing knees to move forward at bottom
    Squat still to do: knees are still tracking forward at bottom of movement, but heels are not rising as in previous workouts

Overhead Press: focused on keeping elbows in front of bar at bottom; tried to initiate hip drive at bottom of movement
    Overhead Press still to do: more vertical bar bath; better hip drive

Deadlift: finished set in under 30 seconds; tried to breathe only when bar was on the ground; consciously tried to remember to lock out each rep and keep lower back tight
    Deadlift still to do: breathe only when bar is on the ground; lock out each rep; allow no flexion of the lower back on any repetition

Lift YouTube Link
    Squat @ 215 Set 1 Click Here
    Overhead Press @ 115 Set 3 Click Here
    Deadlift @ 265 Click Here

Checked your Deadlifts. Good work. Will you be getting lifting shoes soon? Can you lift without breathing out during the lift? When you stand try counting "one thousand one, one thousand two" before the decent. That way you will know that you are locked out at the top. Keep up the good work.

Three weeks are now done and logged. Below are my comments.

Comments:
    -Hunger - has increased as the weights have increased. Lifting heavy requires FOOD!!!!
    -Deadlift/Squat-phobia - I have hurt my back in the past due to excessive lower back rounding. By focusing heavily on technique, I am no longer scared of injuring my lower back; however, EVERY REP needs to be controlled and done purposefully.
    -Chalk - today I used chalk on my bench press (4th set). What a difference. My fourth set was the easiest by far. I felt as though I could break the bar in half. Definitely use chalk for bench presses!
    -Overall Impression - after training for strength for 3 weeks, I can already tell a difference in my ability to get around. I just feel stronger.
    -Deadlift Shoes - I'm looking forward to getting a pair of SABO deadlift shoes . . . I just have to fit them in my budget first (soon, I hope).
    -Heavier Weights = Longer Waits - as the weight continues to increase, longer and longer rest periods are necessitated. Currently, after 3 weeks, my rests are <3 minutes between sets. So, the weights are not too heavy, but I'm sure that will change soon.
    -Bodybuilding? - while I do miss the hypertrophy work, I am still trying to get in at least one session (outside the 3 main lifting days) in which I perform curls, calf raises, dumbbell lateral raises . . .
    -Power Cleans - will be starting next week; I would like to follow RIP's program as well as give my lower back a little more time to recuperate as the weights increase.

Sets & Weights
    For a list of all 9 workouts (3 workouts X 3 weeks), please see the first post. The table with the weights might not appear on mobile apps, so you may need to view as a "Desktop Site" in order to see all the information.

Form Checks:
    Below are my first form checks compared with my latest form checks . . . things are improving slowly, but surely.
    Squat - still focusing on the issues previously noted, but now I need to ensure depth is adequate as well . . . don't want no half squats!!!!
    Lift/Weight/Set YouTube Lift/Weight/Set YouTube
    Squat @ 195 Set 3 Click Here Squat @ 225 Set 3 Click Here
    Overhead Press @ 105 Set 3 Click Here Overhead Press @ 115 Set 3 Click Here
    Bench Press @ 245 Set 4 Click Here Bench Press @ 250 Set 4 Click Here
    Deadlift @ 245 Click Here Deadlift @ 275 Click Here
    Last edited by Mr. Al Waze Benchday; 06-22-2018 at 10:15 AM. Reason: Formatting

Default Workouts 10 - 18

starting strength coach development program
    Another workout (workouts 10-18) in the books.

-Squats - Working on depth, keeping feet planted, hip drive, not drifting forward
    -Deadlifts - Forgot to lockout on a couple reps; had to switch to alternating grip for last rep
    -Presses - Trying to get more hip drive.

Here is the table for workouts 10-18 (weeks 4-6).
    Notation: Weight in pounds X Sets (Set Number of YouTube Link).
    Note: All sets were performed at 5 reps, unless otherwise specified.

# Squat Bench Press Deadlift Sumo Power Clean Rows
    Workout 10 235 X 3 (3) 120 X 3 (3) 285 X 1 (1)
    Workout 11 240 X 3 (3) 255 X 4 (4) 135 X 4@2/3reps (1)
    Workout 12 245 X 3 (3) 125 X 3 (3) 295 - 3 reps (1)
    Workout 13 250 X 3 (3) 260 X 4 (4) 285 2 sets X 1 rep (1)
    Workout 14 255 X 3 (3) 130 X 4 (4) 295 X 4 reps (1)
    Workout 15 205 X 3 (3) 265 X 4 (4) 235 X 5 reps (1)
    Workout 16 260 X 3 (3) 135 X 4 (3) 305 X 5 reps (1)
    Workout 17 210 X 3 (3) 270 X 5 (5) 245 X 5 reps (1)
    Workout 18 265 X 3 (3) 140 X 4 (4) 315 X 5 reps (1)
    Last edited by Mr. Al Waze Benchday; 07-13-2018 at 08:40 AM. Reason: Update with workout 18

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast