starting strength gym

Thread: Restarting LP now I'm willing to gain weight

Default Restarting LP now I'm willing to gain weight

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi all!

I'm 5 foot 11, 160lbs due to not taking my diet seriously and fear of bulking (i used to be 230 before i worked out but i lost all this through cardio before i touched a weight) ive been training for 18months on you're novice 3x5 and even after dropping to 140lbs at one point due to being stupid with food and admittedly an emerging ED (which I am now over) i can now hit a 4 plate deadlift for a couple of reps and have hit a 200kg single although this was hitched and a 62.5kg overhead press for 1 (strict, i have awful bench leverages due to v narrow chest) however my squat and bench are still behind at 132.5kg and 75kg respectively 1rm. if i bulk up now due to having milked out some of my novice gains will i have to do it slower than the skinny guy just starting out? or can I do a full on bulk and progress on SS? If not, do I have to switch to TM and be more reserved with my caloric surplus, appreciate the feedback guys and any advice on this would be great!

(my Max powerclean is also 85kg, I'm working on form with this)

Cheers

-James
    Last edited by FemursofPeace; 06-18-2018 at 02:23 PM. Reason: added powerclean info

What is your age? What is a "v narrow chest"? At 160 pounds I would start eating properly no matter which program you use? Do you have the books? They give us some clues as to when to move off of the novice progression.

Check with a certified SS coach even if only online.

Hi Carson, Thanks for the reply!

23 years atm, and chest is around 36-37 inches. coupled with long arms. I'm reading BBT now and have got PP ready for when I'm done. Hopefully as I gain some weight a little extra fat/ muscle around the chest will improve my pressing.

Cheers

-James

I wished SS would have been around when I was young. But I'm glad, at 71, that it is here now. Keep up the good work.

Thank you! much appreciated!

-James