• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Date: Thursday, July 5, 2018
    Week: 9.2
    Weight: 167.4

Squat: 220x5; 220x5; 220x4
    Bench: 145x5; 145x4; 145x4
    Dead: 265x5

Squats: Well, based on my last workout, the writing was probably on the wall. My first missed squat. Again, hip pain during the squats contributed to poor form, looseness, etc., that made the reps harder than they should be. This led to me missing my last rp of my last set.

Bench: Hip pain from the squats contributed to poor leg drive which I think caused me to miss the fifth rep on my second and third sets.

Deadlift: I completed the reps, but they weren't pretty. Rounded back, lack of tightness, bouncing the bar on the leg, etc.

Overall: Today just wasn't my day. I think the root of all of this is hip pain from the squats. There might also be a bit of built up fatigue. My coach had me take Saturday off to try and get these hips to calm down. I'll be back Tuesday, hopefully ironing out whatever is causing this pain.

Date: Tuesday, July 10, 2018
    Week: 9.3
    Weight: 169.0

Squat: 220x5
    Press: 90x5
    Dead: 270x5

Squats: Things felt MUCH better today. Little-to-no hip pain, and quite a bit less fatigue. I got my hips back much better and kept my knees from sliding quite a bit better too. The last set was still a little tough, and I missed depth on my final rep as a result. But things feel a lot better.

Press: This better too. But that’s expected given the deload. I still don’t feel like I “get” the press yet, but I’m trying. Hope to nail down my form during this deload.

Deadlift: Reps 1-4 were solid. Rep 5 was a little rough (loose back, lack of tightness) but not as bad as any of last week’s reps.

Overall: Taking Saturday off was a good idea. I felt much better today and made progress on squats and deadlifts.

I’ve also been eating more and saw a weight gain as a result. I think that contributed as well. Going to keep pounding the food!
    Last edited by js285307; 07-13-2018 at 01:14 PM. Reason: spelling

Date: Thursday, July 12, 2018
    Week: 10.1
    Weight: 169.6

Squat: 225x5
    Bench: 145x5
    Dead: 275x5

Squats: Another good day. Little or no hip pain. Some slight groin pain, but that's from shoving my knees out--I'm not very flexible! The cue that helped the most was focusing on keeping my feet flat on the ground, like they're glued there. That helped a lot with knee wiggle and slide.

Bench: Smooth. Third set was my best set of the day.

Deadlift: I made my warm ups a little harder than I needed to by being a bit too far forward of the bar and not settling in over my midfoot. I corrected that by the last warm up set and the working set. It was hard, but went pretty well overall.

Overall: Good day!

Good work on the progress. I'm interested to hear about your squat progress. I'm facing some similar issues with hip pain, which crept in at about the same weight. Was it the hips back or feet flat cue that helped with the hip pain, specifically?

Date: Tuesday, July 17, 2018
    Week: 10.2
    Weight: 169.0

Squat: 230x3x5
    Press: 95x3x5
    Dead: 280x5

Squats: Some of my best-looking squats yet! The "feet flat on the floor" cue is really helping me stay in my hips and keep the knees where they need to be. I also thought about "going up" on the way down. This kept me tight throughout, instead of crashing into the hole.

Press: Had a good amount of energy for these. I'm still coming back from the 10% de-load, so this is an intensity I've done before. Next time I'll be at 100 lbs, which I haven't yet completed 3x5. I think I'll succeed.

Deadlift: Felt pretty strong on these too. I felt like I had a good amount of energy going into them, and I kept solid form throughout.

Overall: My coach said I had a very strong day, so that felt good! I've been sleeping really well the past few days, so I think that helped. I actually lost weight though, so I need to make sure I keep eating.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex K View Post
    Good work on the progress. I'm interested to hear about your squat progress. I'm facing some similar issues with hip pain, which crept in at about the same weight. Was it the hips back or feet flat cue that helped with the hip pain, specifically?
    It was mostly the feet flat cue that helped. Hips back is good, but my problem was letting my knees slide and wiggle right as I was coming back up out of the hole. I would almost scoop forward a bit to get out of the hole. Reminding myself to keep the feet flat and glued to the floor caused my body to focus its attention on moving the hips only. Try it and see if it helps! I hope it does. I know how annoying the nagging hip pain can be.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12