7/10/18
    Squat: Workset: 95x5, 95x5, 95x5;
    Press: Workset: 70x5; 70x5; 70x5
    Deads: Workset: 170x5

7/12/18
    Squat: Warm Up: 100x5x3
    Bench: Warm Up: 102.5x5x3
    Deads: Warm Up: 180x5

This forum is freakin' money. After researching a bunch of the threads on hip pain and squat form, I figured out that the hip sciatica I was experiencing was probably an issue with two things: (1) knees collapsing in, (2) feet rotated too wide. I focused on fixing these two problems over the last two workouts and my hips feel AWESOME. Not only is there no pain, but I feel better than I have in weeks. I feel, lighter? Even though I'm up a few pounds to 166.

Still excited to get some one-on-one this Monday.

Just think. In a few weeks you can start packing on muscle weight. Your numbers will go up rather more quickly after that.

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    Just think. In a few weeks you can start packing on muscle weight. Your numbers will go up rather more quickly after that.
    I can't wait; I'm excited to actually be able to put some damn weight on the bar!

Also, excellent call on finding a SS coach. Yesterday I met with Cassi Niemann (Cassi Niemann, Architect & Starting Strength Coach). She. Was. AWESOME.

She fixed a bunch of my form problems, and I feel 100 times more confident moving forward. After learning everything, she recommended a new set of starting numbers for me.

Squat: 115lbs;
    OP: 65lbs;
    Bench: 95lbs;
    DL: 145 lbs.

Except for my Squat; these numbers a little under what I was working with. Which is totally fine. Now that I've had her fix my form, I'm happy to work back up with the proper form.

Excellent, glad to see you're still pushing through. I'm cheering you on from the sidelines for sure.

Woo! It's been a while since I've been able to update this!

After meeting with the Cassi, I've maintained a stead LP. Knock on wood, nothing has stalled yet. My numbers are:

Squat: 155 lbs (up 100 lbs since I started, which is insane to me) (increasing 5lbs per workout).
    OP: 75 lbs (increasing 2.5 lbs per workout)
    BP: 107.5 lbs (increasing 2.5 lbs per workout)
    DL: 190 lbs. (increasing 5 lbs per workout)
    BW: 170 lbs.

As per Cassi's instructions, next week I'm going to start limiting DL and substituting Chins for ever other workout. I'm honestly excited for the little change of pace. We agreed to add in PC in September, after I've managed to get a little bit stronger.

My biggest worry is my BW. So far, my weight gain is steady. I'm up ~10lbs in ~8 weeks. I'm eating about 3kcal a day. I'm eating ~190-200 grams of protein a day, but I'm not doing GOMAD.

I'm just starting to get freaked out about my weight gain. My whole fitness kick started last February, when I was sick of being 200 lbs and fat. The idea of getting my BW back up to those levels scares me. Partially because I hated the way I felt back then. Partially cause I'm a vein lil' bitch.

I'm doing everything I can to push those concerns aside for the next few months. My progress photos and body measurements are showing that most of the weight gained must've been muscle, since I don't really look any different and my waist hasn't increased much. (I'm starting to get a butt though, which is sorta cool). I haven't stalled yet, but when I do, I'll try to eat through it.

Just keep looking at your strength improvement.
    It certainly isn't fat.

Just measure waist measurnent and forget the scales.

Adding onto positronbomb's (great name) encouragement. 200 lbs of muscle look and feel a heck of a lot better that 200 lbs of mostly fat.

Excellent, man. 12 pounds on the scale, many many more pounds on the barbell.

I'm fighting the vanity-monster, too, as I eat my way through a squat stall right now. Here's to calories!

Thank you for the encouragement y'all! Its really gratifying to know that other people have been through the same thing, and that it ends up being a GOOD thing putting on weight.

Today was good. It was my first day doing chins. Honestly, I didn't think I was going to be able to do them. I haven't done a full chin-up in freakin' years. I was pretty sure I was gonna have to do LAT pull downs.

I was absolutely shocked when I pulled out 3 sets of 2-3 chin-ups. I know that's not impressive by any objective standard but, for me, it's astounding.

Since I can't do 5 reps a set, I'm planning on following the Training the Chin up Guide on SS, to keep my volume up. Training the Chin-Up, Pt 2 | Niki Sims.

Only thing worrying me is my Squat. I'm up to 165 lbs, and it starting to feel like I'm barely getting through my sets. I'm planning on increasing the weight to 170 lbs on Thursday, but I'm half-expecting to fail a set for the first time.

Maybe its a form issue? I have a meeting with my local SS coach on Sunday, so maybe we can iron it out.

Current Numbers:

Squat: 165 lbs (increasing 5 lbs every Sunday/Thursday)
    OP: 77.5 lbs (increasing 2.5 lbs per workout)
    BP: 110 lbs (increasing 2.5 lbs per workout)
    DL: 200 lbs. (increasing 5 lbs per workout)
    Chins: BWx3x3
    BW: 171 lbs

starting strength coach development program
    Your contact with a SS coach is invaluable. Just out of curiosity, what squat problems are you experiencing? Bar placement on your back? Depth of the Squat? Have you thought of placing a video on the technique section?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast