starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 29 Year Old Newbie -- Anthony's Log

Default 29 Year Old Newbie -- Anthony's Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey Everybody,

My name is Anthony. I’m 29, 6’0” and living in Richmond, VA. I’m posting my training log here, to get a little bit more involved with the community, maybe get some help, and give myself some outside accountability.

Background (Long and Probably Boring):
    I have pretty much no experience in weight lifting or strength training. In my early-to-mid 20’s I maintained a weight of ~165-170lbs by running. I was an OK novice runner, but I’ve always been physically weak.

In 2014, my Dad got very ill. For the few years, I split my time between school, acting (my biggest hobby), and helping my family. During that time, I stopped running , started binge eating, and gained about 30-40 lbs of pure fat.

In January 2018, I was a little over 200lbs. I’m not sure what my body fat percentage was, but, I was getting fat. Beyond that, I just felt weak and unhappy.

From January to June, I lost 40 pounds using “Body for Life,” as a very rough guide. I picked that regiment specifically because I’ve always been embarrassed about my lack of strength. I hate going to gyms, and the Body for Life program let me work out from home, where no one could watch me work-out.

After losing 40 pounds, I still didn’t feel great. I felt weak and tired. So, I decided to try to try something new. After doing some research, I eventually stumbled onto Leangains, which lead me to StrongLifts, which led me to Starting Strength, and, well, here I am.

After reading the book, I finally decided to bite the bullet and give the program a try, even if it meant embarrassing myself a little bit at the Gym.

Starting Numbers:

6/17/2018

• Weight == 158 lbs;
    • Squat == 55lbs (seriously, how does everyone here start off with a 100+ lb squat with no training???)
    • BP == 80
    • Overhead Press == 55lbs
    • Deadlift == 135lbs

One Month In -– I’m already horribly guilty of “NDTFP”:

I started the program under a weird set of circumstances. I’m currently in a show where another actor has to lift me up and spin me around on his shoulders like Hulk Hogan. The show runs until the end of July, so, for the first few weeks of running the program, I have to watch my bodyweight a little. I don’t want to make the other guy’s job harder than it needs to be. Given this, I haven’t been doing GOMAD or trying to gain weight aggressively.

I eat about 2600 kCAL on training days and 2000 kCal on rest days. I get about 170–200 g of protein a day. I already know I need to bump these numbers up to AT LEAST 3000 calories/day. I supplement with Whey, Creatine, and a multivitamin.

I sleep about 4-6 hours per night, which is a problem. This is because: (1) I’m juggling my 50 hour a week day job with my 30 hour a week acting job, (2) additional recent life stresses, and (3) I’m just a crappy sleeper.

Considering my plethora of sins, I’m happy that I’ve (mostly) been able to follow the recommended progression thus far:

• Weight == 162 lbs.
    • Squat == 110 lbs.
    • BP == 95 lbs.
    • Overhead == 75 lbs.
    • Deadlift == 185 lbs.

Form Concerns:
    I have both a digital and paper copy of Starting Strength (3d Ed). I’ve read through the instructions multiple times and I’ve watched some of the YouTube tutorials. Despite all this, I’m finding that it’s very, very, very difficult to figure out whether my form is any good. I’ve been weak and uncoordinated my entire life, so I’ve pretty much got the kinesthetic sense of a jellyfish.

On top of this, I’m a shy introvert, and all of my friends are artsy non-lifting types. I don’t have anyone to train with, so I don’t have anyone checking my form. I’m working out at a Gold’s Gym, and, theoretically, I could ask the trainers there to check my form. The problem is, I don’t really trust them. Just as one example, I keep seeing people squatting WELL above parallel with their eyes glued to the mirror.

Reading Rip’s book without a coach is like eating from the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil. It lets you see how everyone else around you has bad form. But, because you can’t really see yourself, you have no idea if your own form is crap.

Plan Moving Forward
    I’ve been making fairly linear progress, but my lifts are starting to get real heavy, and I’m genuinely concerned about my form. So, for this next week, I’m planning a little deload/reset for my Squat, Deadlift and Press. My plan is to start:

Squat == 90 lbs. (increase 5lb increments);
    BP == 100 lbs. (increase 2.5lb increments);
    Overhead == 65 lbs. (increase 2.5lb increments);
    Deadlift == 160 lbs. (increase 10lb increments);
    PC == 65 lbs. (The smallest bumper plate at my gym is 10lbs, so this is the lightest I can start at).

I'm more motivating by seeing small improvements in my lifts than by the total amount of weight I'm actually moving. So I'm perfectly happy to take everything slow and steady.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Anthony.Rove; 07-06-2018 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Fixed Some Weird Formatting

Welcome. Don't worry about what others think of you. You are on the right path to get strong. Many actors over the years have been quite strong. Besides, imagine how many will gawk at you if you remain week as you age and imagine how much pride you will have if you get strong.

My strongest recommendation to you is to go see a SS strength coach asap. Whether or not you have to time or money to see him/her regularly at least see him/her often enough to work out any technical bugs you may have. It's much easier to do so in the early stages of the program than it is later when you must unlearn bad habits.

Best wishes to you.

Welcome, Anthony! I started this adventure a few months ago and quickly learned that nobody at the gym cares how much or how little I lift. It's really pretty liberating.

Good luck with your acting career and your SS NLP!

And love the Genesis analogy!

Awesome, thank you! I've booked a session with a SS coach in about a week. I'm excited to get some in-person guidance!

Glad you're deciding to get strong! I'm fairly new to this stuff as well, and am encouraged to see progression from all who work this program.

Good progress in your first month, on all metrics except bodyweight, for reasons you've explained. At this point, your principal limiting factor is your weight, and your progress will suffer until you can eat. I know you've got employment issues regarding weight; I do as well (the Army requires me to remain in compliance with Reg 600-9, height and weight standards). Realistically you can pick up minimally 40 lbs without looking or being "fat." Seriously: I'm 71.5" and 201 lbs this morning, but in Iraq in 2007 I was 155 lbs and looked like Skeletor mated with the Crypt Keeper's little sister. The weight feels great when it comes slow and strong.

If you really hit the food, what's the most that'll happen ... 10lbs of gain in July? And since it'll be happening a little at a time, you'll be helping your actor-buddy with his own linear progression, making him lift just a little more each rehearsal/show. It's win-win for you both at that point, right?

Very glad to have you around, sir.

G

Y'all are awesome! Geoff, the crypt keeper bit made me laugh. I'm kinda starting to rock that look now.

And I think you're right. I can try to make some serious but steady bodyweight progress over the next few weeks. My wrestling buddy can prolly handle a few extra pounds each week.

7/8/18

Squat: Warm Up: 45x5, 45x5, 60x5, 70x3, 80x2, Workset: 90x5, 90x5, 90x5;
    Bench: Warm Up: 45x5, 45x5, 60x5, 75x3, 90x2, Workset: 100x5, 100x5, 100x5
    Deads: Warm Up: 95x5, 95x5, 115x5, 130x3, 145x2, Workset: 160x5

Notes: It's a good thing I decided to deload a bit. After my first few squat warm ups, I started to feel an electric-type pain run from my left ass cheek down my leg. It didn't hurt while I was squatting. But, the minute after racking the bar, it hurt like hell. I managed to train through it and finish my work sets, but I was limping the rest of the morning. Weirdly, the pain didn't affect my deadlift all that much (although I deloaded that too).

Based on some quick online research, it's probably just sciatic pain caused by inflammation. The inflammation is probably caused by either (a) the fact that I'm barbell squatting for the first time in my 29 years of life, or (b) form problems, or (c) the fact that I slammed my left ass cheek into the ground during a show recently, or (d) all of the above. Regardless, the pain went away pretty quickly after popping an anti-inflammatory. I was able to jump around on stage without any real trouble. I'll keep an eye on it over the next two weeks, and take ibuprofen before lifting.

I decided to hold off on PCs for another week. I've got an appointment with an SS coach on July 16, and I figured I'll wait for her to teach me. For my 7/10 workout, I'll do another set of deadlifts.

Good work!

In very short order, your squat will exceed your bench press, as it should.

Good on you for getting a coaching appointment for some PC work. It'll be good times.

I'm curious: What show are you doing, that involves wrestling and such? Is there a "Wrestlemania, the Musical" or something?

Damn, I wish it was as cool as "Wrestlemania, the Musical."

I'm playing Orlando in a production of the Shakespeare play, "As You Like It" for the local summer Shakespeare festival. In the second scene, Orlando randomly decides to fight this enormous wrestler dude. We're doing it as a full WWE type fight, complete with a good ol' fashion figure four leg lock. It's fun and stupid. The only problem is I keep slamming myself down on our crappy little outdoor stage.

Weirdly enough, I actually think I convinced the actor playing the wrestler to give SS a shot. So he might be on here soon too, which would be cool!

starting strength coach development program
    If Hugh Jackman played Brutus Beefcake in the musical, I'd travel any distance to see it.

Be great if your actor mate gets here as well!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast