starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Want to quit feeling like crap and improve diabetes...

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    After you start following the program with both lifts and eating I'll check back.

just do the program with your current diet and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
    just do the program with your current diet and see what happens.
    Yep, that's what I'm doing. However, I don't call it doing the program, because without the diet, I'm not really doing the program (Rip calls it YNDTP). I'm doing the exercises in the program and hoping for a severely slowed linear progression (bought 1.25lb plates, since my gym doesn't have them, and considering buying lighter ones....)

So, instead of trying to get 15-30lb/week on squat, I'm going for more like 20-40lb/month, which I think would be fantastic if it's possible. I'll be on the program with diet in a month or two, but even then, I'll be watching my numbers closely, and if I'm on the obesity path, I'll change things. I'm doing this for health and don't really care how much I can lift - I'm just hoping more muscle will help insulin sensitivity. But, obesity is a greater risk to mortality than lack of muscle mass. Strong and lean is the goal, but weak and lean is better for me than strong and obese (I'll take strong and overweight...).

I totally get Rip's philosophy of taking care of the fat later (in fact, I recommended it for my son). That's great for folks that are young and healthy, Rip's target demographic. But, I have multiple obesity-related health issues - I just can't risk that strategy. Fat first, then strength.

-->Adam
    Last edited by Adam Levine; 07-31-2018 at 06:43 AM.

Week of 7/30 - Starting Progression
    Attempting progression rates:
    2.5lb/workout on Bench and Press (apx 10#/mo)
    5lb/workout on Squat and Deadlift (apx 40#/mo)

Monday, 7/30
    50 minute cardio-boxing class

Tuesday, 7/31
    LISS: 80 minute stroll

Thursday, 8/2
    Squat: 100x5x3
    Press: 65x5x3
    Deadlift: 190x5x1

Intervals: 2x30sec+1x23sec(fail) 3 min rest, deadmills - increasing to 3.5min rest next workout

Friday, 8/3
    50-minute cardio-boxing class

Sunday, 8/5
    LISS: 60 minute stroll
    I forgot my cellphone, so I made up warmup sets as I went along and guessed on rest period timing instead of using the app. Warmup sets included below.
    Squat: 55x12, 55x10, 75x4, 95x1, 105x5x3
    Bench: 65x12, 65x10, 95x4, 115x1, 127.5x5x3
    Deadlift: 135x12, 135x10, 155x4, 175x1, 195x5x1 - form didn't feel right, and warmup was overkill

Intervals: Skipped - no cellphone to time intervals

Diet Stats:
    Average calories/day: 1,794
    Average protien/day: 206g
    Average carbs/day: 171g
    Average fat/day: 33g
    Protien from dairy: 380g
    Calories from dairy: 2,440
    Supplementation: 2,000 IU of Vitamin D per day
    5 herbal fat-burner pills per day (new this week)

Body Stats:
    Height: 5'9.7"
    Weight: 190.5lb (down 1.4lb)
    Neck: 16.5" (down 1/2")
    Waist: 38" (up 1/2")
    Body Fat (by Navy Calculator): 22.1% (Up 1.7% - last week may have been a bad measurment...)
    LBM (by Navy Calculator): 148lb (down 5lb - last week may have been a bad measurement...).
    Average morning/fasting blood sugar:111 (the number than matters!)

-->Adam

It is possible to build strength as explained in the book on a calorie restricted diet in the first 2 weeks of the program, provided you do the following:
    1) You actually follow the program 3 days a week
    2) You eat the correct amount of proteing eg 200 grams a day in your case
    3) You get adequate sleep
    4) Limit cardio to just walking.

At least this has been my experience.

After the first 2 weeks you will probably need to slowly start increasing calories or your progress will grind to a halt.

I'm no expert but this has been my personal experience so in my case it worked without any issue.

Default Dietary Strategy

Well, my weight loss has slowed significantly - I'm certainly not getting the 10lbs/month that I got when I was doing cardio-boxing 6 days a week. My projected 1-2 months to get to 17% body fat is now looking like 2-4 months.

That makes my plan of taking it slow and waiting before going on the full plan a bit less palatable, so I'm going with another strategy, I'm going to let my progression rate determine my diet. Basically, eat enough to progress, but no more.

Here's the plan...

First, I'm keeping to my 1800 calorie diet and 2x/week routine, at least for now. I need the 2x/week - I recover slowly due to age, diabetes, and diet. Plus, my body is definitely telling me that I haven't recovered from squatting and dead-lifting after 48 hours.

I define "stalled" as being unable to progress 1lb/workout on bench/press (or power clean if I eventually do them), or 2lb/workout on squat or DL. Yeah, that's really slow progression, but it's progression.

If I'm stalled on an exercise, follow the following procedure:
    - If progression is stalled on 2 of the 4 exercises, increase diet by 500 calories/day for two weeks and see if progression continues.
    - If progression doesn't continue after two weeks, add another 500 calories.
    - If progression resumes, stay on that diet until it stalls again. Consider increasing progression rate.

There are also "thresholds" - lines that if crossed change the strategy dramatically.
    - If I hit 17%bf (roughly 178# with my current LBM) body fat, start chugging milk, go to 3x/week, and get on the full program.
    - If I hit 25%bf (roughly 197# with current LBM), abort. I'll have to switch to full effort on a weight loss plan, hopefully one that will minimize muscle loss.
    - If a new diet results in skyrocketing blood sugar, adjust. I don't think that will happen.

-->Adam
    Last edited by Adam Levine; 08-10-2018 at 09:46 AM.

Never abort the program.
    The only way you'll even be thin and stay thst way is by increasing your lean body mass.

You will succeed on this progam.

I have found walking in the morning on a complete empty stomach is extremely effective at burning fat.
    Aim to walk 5 miles in the morning 3 times a week before eating anything.
    If you do that combined with the starting strength program you will lose fat and add muscle to your frame.

Just monitor and adjust calory intake and measure your waist frequently.

I added 55 pounds to my deadlift in 2 weeks eating 1800 calories a day.
    I'm increasing it now to 2000 calories a day.
    In another week 2200 calories a day or as required up to a maximum of 3000 calories a day as suggested to me by the guru.

Week of 8/6 - Week 4 - Progression Going Strong
    Notes:
    Major body recomposition this week - may just be bad measurements, but is similar to measurements taken two weeks ago, so it might be real.... We'll see if it holds in future weeks.
    Monday treadmill was a mistake - don't run the day after doing squats. My body didn't like that. I'm better off with the cardio-boxing, even though the boxing is harder...

Attempting progression rates:
    2.5lb/workout on Bench and Press (apx 10#/mo)
    5lb/workout on Squat and Deadlift (apx 40#/mo)

Monday, 8/6
    30 minute treadmill, 6mph steady state (skipped cardio-boxing because they included a lot of weights this time)

Thursday, 8/9
    Squat: 110x5x3
    Press: 67.5x5x3
    Deadlift: 200x5x1

Intervals: 2x30sec+1x27sec(fail) 3.5 min rest, deadmills - so close, no change next workout
    LISS: 20 minute stroll

Friday, 8/10
    50-minute cardio-boxing class

Sunday, 8/12
    LISS: 90 minute stroll
    Squat: 115x5x3
    Bench: 130x5x3
    Deadlift: 205x5x1

1 round of core bodyweight exercises from cardio boxing class
    Intervals: 2x30sec,1x20sec 3.5 min rest, deadmills. Increase rest to 4min next workout
    Felt like crap after this workout, bench an DL getting very challenging.

Diet Stats:
    Average calories/day: 1,702
    Average protien/day: 200g
    Average carbs/day: 169g
    Average fat/day: 29g
    Protien from dairy: 407g (29%)
    Calories from dairy: 2,580 (23%)
    Supplementation: 2,000 IU of Vitamin D per day
    5 herbal fat-burner pills per day, which obviously don't do *#$&

Body Stats:
    Height: 5'9.7"
    Weight: 190.0lb (down 0.5lb)
    Neck: 16.5" (steady)
    Waist: 36.75" (Down 1 1/4"!!!)
    Body Fat (by Navy Calculator): 19.9% (Down 2.2%!)
    LBM (by Navy Calculator): 152lb (up 5lb!).
    Average morning/fasting blood sugar:109 (the number than matters!)

Changes for next week:
    Reduced diet to 1600cal/190p/25f/165c effective 8/11 to adjust for reduced weight loss rate.
    Removing the two cardio-boxing classes - reading Barbell Prescription and understand why it's bad now...
    Hoping to hold on to progression for another week before having to add calories.

-->Adam
    Last edited by Adam Levine; 08-12-2018 at 08:11 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    That's a good waist measurement.
    I'm at 36"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast