Thread: Chris J - NLP Training Logs

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    8/15/18

Squat 130lbs. 3x5
    Press 80lbs. 3x5
    DL 200 1x5

Used my chalk for the first time. Game changer.

Almost missed a rep on the last set of the press. Stalled out in the middle but pushed through it. Also, feel like I pulled something in my lower back during the press.

Ate plenty of calories and grams of protein. Great night of sleep. Going to drop down to 2.5lbs. increases now for press.

Got 200lbs. on the deadlift! Never thought I’d be able to do that. Excited to keep going up!

Figured out where the lower back pain came from on the press.

I think I let my back curve on the part of the movement where you jut your hips out. Gotta make sure it’s more of a hip thrust with a straight back than a leaning back.

Sharp lower back pain is a real bastard.
    The same thing happened to me in the first week of starting strength.
    It's just starting to improve now, but still a little sore.
    I had to deload on squat and deadlift and abort powercleans altogether for a while.
    I've decided to do seated press. I can't afford to injure it again.

Yeah, it’s probably the improper press form combined with the my sleeping posture. I’ll work on the form.

Also, just read in PP that skinny, underweight guys should fight the urge to micro-load too early. Going to keep eating and try to push through until I legitimately miss a rep.

8/18/18

Squat 135lbs. 3x5
    Bench 100lbs. 3x5
    DL 205 1x5

I know it’s still not even heavy but it felt really good to squat with 45 lb. plates on the end of the bar. Didn’t feel like a TOTAL wuss squatting next to Baby Kahl Drogo on the rack next to me.

[QUOTE=cjac9;1699981]8/15/18

Squat 140lbs. 3x5
    Press 85lbs. 3x5
    DL 210 1x5

Press felt much better this time after watching some form videos. I was getting the bar too far out in front. Plus, thinking of reps 2-5 starting from the top is much easier. The rebound happens naturally. No back pain.

Deadlift on the other hand is pure misery. Got through it but, man, it’s not pretty. Didn’t help that I’ve had two shitty nights of sleep in a row.

Wondering if I should be moving onto Phase 2 yet? I’ll probably go post in the coaching forum.

SS says to switch to Phase 2 when the “deadlift isn’t fresh anymore.” I have no idea how to interpret that.

At the same time, I thought it was heavy 30 lbs. ago. I now have a new definition of heavy.

My eyes feel like they’re bugging and I feel ill after today’s workout. That seems unfresh to me. IDK...

Congratulations on finding SS and your progress so far!

You mentioned the lack of chalk at your gym a few posts back. If you ever get busted with your REI chalk, you could try liquid chalk. I haven't used it personally, but have seen some folks on the SS forum talk about using it with success.

I used to train at LA fitness. Does yours have the 12 sided plates? Absolutely terrible for deadlifting!

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Barry View Post
    Congratulations on finding SS and your progress so far!

You mentioned the lack of chalk at your gym a few posts back. If you ever get busted with your REI chalk, you could try liquid chalk. I haven't used it personally, but have seen some folks on the SS forum talk about using it with success.

I used to train at LA fitness. Does yours have the 12 sided plates? Absolutely terrible for deadlifting!

Good luck!
    I haven’t been busted yet!

Yes, these plates are killing me. I have to reset after every rep cause they’re rolling all over the place. I’m just praying they don’t roll toward my shins. Few more months until I can get out of here and join a real gym.

the press for me is the real lower-back scruncher. maybe see if you can find that spray-on hand stuff, that way the Nazis at la fitness won't see the little puffy clouds of white...

starting strength coach development program
    8/23/18

Squat 145lbs. 3x5
    Bench 105lbs. 3x5
    DL 215 1x5

DL thoughts:

DL felt waaaay better today. Didn’t sleep great last night but got 9-10 hrs. the night before.

Learning that mindset is huge. 200 lbs. “sounded heavy” to me. After I got there my brain started playing tricks on me. I started thinking I couldn’t do more than that even though I’m recovering and adapting.

Also, it’s not supposed to be easy. It’s the hardest lift, that’s why it’s at the end.

I’m now going into it thinking, “This will be work. Your heart rate will be through the roof. Your eyes will bulge.”

I’m also giving myself permission to cool down for 3-4 minutes before racking the weights. That seems to help.

I’ve noticed that I’m consistently missing my carb goal by about 50g. Overshooting fat. Nailing protein.

Going to try and figure out a way to sneak more carbs in. Maybe a waxy maize post workout supp? I bet getting that number up will help with recovery.

I’m not going to worry about fat while I’m still gaining. Drinking probably 36 oz. of whole milk a day. It’s just not gonna happen.

LA Fit staff hasn’t said anything re: chalk.

Next up is a belt... Why are these so freaking expensive?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast