starting strength gym
Page 7 of 33 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Life Starts At 45 (Hopefully)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    That's just for the first 5 days.

I will then go to one 5 gram dose on non training days and maybe 2 x 5 gram doses on training days.

I will make adjustments as I go.

Training day today.
    Hoping it might help me successfully complete that failed bench.

Get after it!

I just ordered some C-Monohydrate; should show up Wednesday. It's long overdue; I've meant to do so for awhile. You kinda reminded me that I'd forgotten to start. Wife and I should definitely get after it.

I don't expect I'll do a loading phase; near as I can tell doing so *probably* gets you to saturation quicker, but around the 21-28 day mark the non-loaders have caught up. So I'm going to do tortoise rather than hare on this.

Today's workout

Squat - 181.5 lbs (82.5kg), 3 sets of 5
    Bench press - 159.5 lbs (72.5kg), 3 sets of 5
    Power clean - 88 lbs (40kg), 5 sets of 3

Oh yeah, sucessfully made the previously failed bench press, on my first reattempt.
    😁

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Bischoff View Post
    Get after it!

I just ordered some C-Monohydrate; should show up Wednesday. It's long overdue; I've meant to do so for awhile. You kinda reminded me that I'd forgotten to start. Wife and I should definitely get after it.

I don't expect I'll do a loading phase; near as I can tell doing so *probably* gets you to saturation quicker, but around the 21-28 day mark the non-loaders have caught up. So I'm going to do tortoise rather than hare on this.
    Hope it helps you break through some of those plateaus for new PRs.

Forgot to mention my power clean, showed further improvement.
    I might run it for 2 more weeks at the same weight then start increasing the weight slowly.

Are you standing for your presses yet? One thing you may want to consider if you have back pain is to skip the hip-thrust on the press (if you were doing that when you got hurt) and do a strict overhead press. There's a great episode of Barbell logic podcast where they talk about press 1.0 and press 2.0, where 1.0 is the strict press and 2.0 is the hip-thrust press. They suggest training novices on press 1.0 for as long as possible before switching to 2.0. My SSC also said some people just can't do the 2.0 very well. These people should stick with 1.0, and they will continue to get very strong. #93 Build Your Press with Better Programming | Barbell Logic

Yes the hip thrust is how I hurt my back.
    I won't bother with it anymore, I have no intention of competing so I don't need to learn cheat movements which is what 2.0 is in my opinion.

The belt hasn't arrived yet, so I'm still doing them seated.

I was just thinking about my long term goal.
    If I stay at my existing 20% bodyfat percentage then I need to get to around 189 pounds to be 170 pounds at 10% body fat.
    This goal might change completely. I might be completely satisfied at 15% body fat.

Originally I had planned to not gain any weight till my lifts started stalling, and just slowly get down to 15% body fat while maintaining the same bodyweight and continually adding lean mass to my frame and losing fat.

We'll see. I always have a million ideas in my head. There's more than one way to skin a cat.
    We'll see how it goes.

Currently my rest periods are the following:
    Warm up sets: 30 seconds rest
    Work sets: 4 minutes

I enjoy using dumbells on warm up sets for bench press and over head press.

starting strength coach development program
    After 4 days of creatine

Body weight: 175 pounds
    Waist: 89cm/35"

Looks like my body weight is stabilising now.
    So 3 pounds gained due to creatine (so far).

Page 7 of 33 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast