starting strength gym
Page 16 of 33 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Life Starts At 45 (Hopefully)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Bischoff View Post
    Injury sucks, man. Glad the upper work is still moving.

You got any idea how to work through the sciatica? I sure don't, but it seems like this community ought to have someone who does.
    I was trying to ignore it and work through it for around 2 weeks, and then it got much worse and unbearable even to unrack the bar.
    There has been some improvement, the pain has reduced but not to the point I am prepared to get under a bar again.

Walking seems to help a bit.
    This type of injury sucks because it has a strong psychological effect too, not knowing when or if it will ever heal seriously gets you down.

I was hoping someone here with direct experience with this specific injury could help or at least lift my spirits a bit, except I encountered someone with a desperate need to demonstrate what they had memorized out of text book (pathetic individual).
    I'm not convinced the "science" with this specific injury is encompasses what truly occurs.
    I know from previous personal experience with this type of injury, that one day you can feel more pain than a torn hamstring and then the next day it as if the injury had never occurred, as if the disc has been recaptured, I don't believe "herniated" disc truly describes what is happening in all instances.

Dr. Will Morris has rehabbed a lot of injuries; I'm using his protocol to rehab mine right now and it's working splendidly. He's not a regurgitator of textbooks; rather he's one of the best pro-barbell PTs in the field. I'm not sure why he busted your balls so hard (just skimmed it). Got up on the wrong side of the bed? Both he and I come from a martial tradition that hazes their members pretty hard, so I'd guess it's more likely run-of-the-mill hazing with some hidden advice in it.

I see he referred you to at least one article on back rehab which may be tangentially applicable to you; I marked that for later reading tonight. Did you give it a look?

I didn't read half of what he wrote because when my prediction of his character was fullfilled (unfortunately), I knew it was time to cut my losses with the guy.

I'm glad he is helping you.

I have low tolerance for ego driven fools, it's generally an indication of extremely low IQ.

"But he turned, and said unto Peter, get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men"

Walked 12 miles today.

The walking is the only thing that seems to help my back.

I think the plan going forward will be to try a single set of squats for 5 reps at 60kg, and see how the back responds.
    I hope to be able to make a start sometime next week.

Week 10
    Today's workout

I'm still feeling quite a bit of pain in my back but the hight intensity pain occurs more intermittently rather than constantly.
    I decided to try a single set of 5 reps at 60kg.
    I was able to perform those without too much aggravation to my back.
    The plan is to do those just twice a week (monday and friday) without increasing the weight or number of sets till the pain is gone completely.
    I will also quit power cleans till my back is healed.

Squats: 132 lbs (60kg), 5 reps
    Bench Press: 192.5 lbs (87.5kg), 3 sets of 5 (PR)

Happy to get another PR on bench press today.

Bodyweight: 179.3 lbs (81.5kg)
    Waist: 90cm/35.5"

I'm starting to believe the sciatica may have been caused due to butt wink.
    I have a tendency to go to deep in the squat.

Be careful people.

Interesting; does this mean you can perform the squat to minimum-required depth without the pain?

I can perform a bodyweight squat to correct depth without pain at the bottom of the squat.
    I feel most of the pain coming back up, at the top of the squat as the hips come forward and the spine goes into it's full natural arch, that's when I am feeling maximum nerve pain.
    Pain runs from the top right side of my butt down the back of my right leg.

When the pain is bad, it also hurts as the right leg lifts of the ground and strides forward.

It's weird that I don't feel a lot of pain at the bottom of the squat as it's coming from the ls5/ls4 region. That's the why the mechanics of this injury aren't as straightforward as people make it seem, in my opinion.

starting strength coach development program
    Week 10
    Today's workout

Overhead Press: 132 lbs (60kg), 5, 4, 3, 2, 2, 5 (afternoon) reps

Hopefully get it next time.

Page 16 of 33 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast