starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Time to grow (up)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Today successful at 275, but slight form breakdown in last two reps. Hip angle decreases in the heavy part of the lift. I assume my back angle is not low enough to start with, hence gets corrected under heavy load on the sticky part of the lift. Need to present nips to the floor. See what that does.
    Official end of ten pound squat jumps.
    Bench went well but I'll also switch it to three pound jumps. Don't want to get stuck there.
    Form on the cleans sometimes feels good sometimes still wonky.

Plan for Friday:
    Squat 280
    Press 115
    Deadlift 305

I completed the squat, but the last rep or two again featured that good morning like motion in the hips off the bottom. I don't like this one bit as it's accompanied by a large moment of force i feel in my lower back. I will back down to 265 where this wasn't a problem yet and take the week to work on form as I work back to 280.
    Press went great.
    Deadlift did not leave the floor. I pushed 15lbs jumps one too far and switching to ten was egregiously optimistic. I now know 5lbs jumps are the norm on the deadlift as well. I'll deload it 10% and work my way back. This was quite stupid of me, though not surprising given my lack of patience.

Plan for today:
    Squat 265 (form deload)
    Bench 178
    Clean 100

Reset is a good idea. You were too ambitious with the jumps. It isn't really a reset, so much as an appropriate adjustment. How much are you eating? What is your body weight doing? Are you getting enough rest?

Workout yesterday went well. Last rep of last set of squat was less than ideal, but that was about it. I think it comes down to concentration and balance. I just need to focus more at the end of the set to keep moving correctly.
    My mind wasn't quite in it, so bench form was a bit all over the place this time, but the weight moved easily enough anyway.
    Cleaning wasn't too hard though I really need to see a coach about it at some point.

Weighed in at 181 yesterday. I think I'm eating enough at almost 5k, GOMAD. Sleep is more of an issue. It's too warm here in the desert so I can't fall asleep and it then gets cold in the morning waking me up again.

Plan for Wednesday:
    Squat 270
    Press 118
    Deadlift 275

Today I felt weak. Very weak. Not really in the muscles, more like if all my cardio just flew out the window and I were running uphill while doing the lifts.
    The form didn't break on the squat, at least as far as my inexperienced proprioception could tell. But I felt like my tank was empty all the time. Weird feeling in the stomach.
    Anyway, I did the squats, but failed the last rep on sets 2 and 3 of the press. I felt lightheaded and after the 4 minute rest (5 on the squat) I felt in no way ready for another set.
    Deadlift went fine, but no wonder, as its in deload.
    Maybe it was not eating enough for lunch. Maybe the disgusting attempt at a pizza I did have did not fare well with my stomach. Maybe I'm about to catch a cold. In any case, this wasn't pleasant.

Plan for Friday:
    squat 275
    bench 181
    power clean 115
    chinup 0*9
    Last edited by jjazbec; 08-29-2018 at 07:12 PM. Reason: typo

Smashed the squat. I'm quite happy about that. Most reps just felt right.
    Missed last rep on last set of bench. I think the time has come to give up on 3lbs increases on the presses. I'll read again what Rip has to say on the matter later.
    I've been kicked out of the gym before completing the cleans and chins because of labour day, the goal is to do it once i get home in an hour. Maybe even redo that last set of bench.

This weekend I will be again driving around Colorado, this time stopping in every liquor store on my way to try and hunt the American specimens from the thread Top 10 whiskeys for beginners

Plan for Monday:
    Squat 280
    Press 118 (repeat)
    Deadlift 280

Heh I guess my squat is about to overtake my deadlift. Go figure.

Edit: I forget: currently weighing 183

Everything went well yesterday. Increased press rests to 7mins. Last set of it felt better than the first after focusing on technique (elbows in front of the bar).
    Couldn't work out Monday due to labour day gym closure. Unsure whether to work out today as every week even though I was in the gym 24h ago. But if I don't I'll miss a workout this week which I don't like.
    Weight: still 183

Plan for today:
    Squat 285
    Bench 181 (repeat, 7min rests)
    Power clean 115 (ran out of time last time due to early gym closure, bar at home unusable until oiled properly)

Went today. The fatigue from yesterday surely made itself felt.
    Completed squat and bench as planned.
    My spinal erectors were having a field day.
    By the end of the clean warm-ups , I got a cramp (acute soreness?) In my abs, and after that no matter how hard I tried I could not clean with proper form. Since my clean is sub par at the best of times I decided not to risk injury and quit there.

Seven minute rests on the bench seem to do the trick fine, so I guess I was failing the first question with my four minute rests. Should I decrease my jumps from 3 to 2 pounds on the presses anyway to be safe?

Plan for Friday:
    Squat 290
    Press 121
    Deadlift 285

starting strength coach development program
    Going that day was a terrible idea. I've had back pain since in my middle back. It gets better with rest, then again worsens the morning after working out. All in all it's getting better slowly. It made me miss one workout last week and I had to skip deadlifting/cleaning on a couple workouts.
    Bottom line, yesterday I did:
    squat 310
    bench 190
    clean 110

Tomorrow the plan is:
    squat 315
    press 123
    deadlift 290

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12