Default Week 8, Workout 2

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Friday, 26. October 2018

Squat: 3x5 @ 117,5 kg (259 lbs)
    Bench Press: 3x5 @ 82,5 kg (181 lbs)
    Power Clean: 5x3 @ 65 kg (143 lbs)

Comments: Sickness bothering me for 4th week. Whenever it seems to be healed, I do something stupid and get a cold again.
    Squat: Hard. I felt like the depth was not enough. Need to do a video next time.
    Bench Press: Felt strong. Last set was RPE 8.5 so I hope to be successful with 85 kg next workout as well.
    Power Clean: First 3 sets felt great, but after that every rep started feeling different. It is not hard though. I could prolly deadlift + arm pull it to my chest. Just technique sucks. I filmed my last set for form check. Will be posting it soon under form check sub-forum.
    Last edited by Karelipoeg; 10-30-2018 at 03:55 AM. Reason: Date was wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Karelipoeg View Post
    Had my first failed set during my 8 weeks of LP so far.
    Question: When I fail to do 5 reps on a set, should I still do just 3 sets of however many reps I get during this workout, or should I do more sets to get the 15 reps for the intended volume? I did the last one, because it seems to make more sense, but not sure.
    Press: First failed set I've had. Last set was on top of my mental game.
    I always complete the required volume ie 15 reps with as many sets as it takes and at least another for rep for punishment.
    I have never refailed an attempt doing this, I certainly feel it has helped me get it the next time.
    That's my personal experience.

I think you have to listen to what your body is telling you though. If you're run down then more rest is the thing that is going to help you.

Default Week 8, Workout 3

Sunday, 28. October 2018

Squat: 3x5 @ 120 kg (264 lbs)
    The Press (seated): 3x5 @ 52,5 kg (115 lbs)
    Deadlift: 1x5 @ 147,5 kg (325 lbs)

Comments: Illness fading away finally? We'll see in a couple of days.
    Squat: Filmed my last set. Not deep enough. Therefore the form is not correct, and therefore I am not ready to increase the weight. Next time I will take 5 kg off and make sure I get the depth.
    The Press: Since I failed the previous workout, I went 1 weight level down. Will increase next time again.
    Deadlift: Didn't feel as strong as I would have wanted. Maybe just a confidence issue coming from the feeling of getting closer to the end of LP and starting to fail sets.
    End of Phase 2 of Starting Strength program.
    Last edited by Karelipoeg; 10-30-2018 at 03:36 AM.

Default Week 9, Workout 1

Friday, 30. October 2018

Squat: 3x5 @ 115 kg (253 lbs)
    Bench Press: 3x5 @ 85 kg (188 lbs)
    Power Clean: 5x3 @ 70 kg (154 lbs)

Comments:
    Beginning of Phase 3 of Starting Strength program.
    Squat: I went 5 kg down from previous workout. As the SS model says that to increase the weight, you need to complete the sets with correct form, my form last workout was not correct. Squats were above parallel. 115 kg this time was fine, so I'll increase the weight next time.
    Bench Press: First set was the hardest. I guess it means I need to do more warm-up next time. Anyway, I reached a milestone, as I have never before completed 3 sets of 5 reps with 85 kg. My 5RM is 87,5 kg, but that was only one set in February.
    Power Clean: I do not have a problem getting the bar to rack position, but the technique is laggy. Every rep feels different. Increments will be 2,5 kg from here on.
    I am excited to start with Chin-ups beginning next workout. Last time I did one was in May.

Default Week 9, Workout 2

Thursday, 01. November 2018

Squat: 3x5 @ 117,5 kg (259 lbs)
    The Press (seated): 3x5 @ 55 kg (121 lbs)
    Weighted Chin-ups: 3x5 @ 0 kg (0 lbs)

Comment:
    Squat: Good form. Felt strong.
    The Press (seated): Felt strong. Made it through the first plateau I had 2 workouts ago with The Press.
    Weighted Chin-ups: First time doing Chin-ups since May. I thought I'll start low because it is likely to plateau fast. Felt strong.

Default Week 9, Workout 3

Saturday, 03. November 2018

Squat: 3x5 @ 120 kg (264 lbs)
    Bench Press: 3x5 @ 87,5 kg (192 lbs); Actual: 5/4/4/2
    Deadlift: 1x5 @ 150 kg (330 lbs)

Comments:
    Got my girlfriend to do the workout with me. Yeah!
    Squat: Right knee has been hurting a little for the past week or two. Nothing bad, it does not bother any activities nor working out. I have had it hurting before, so it is not new, but it has increased a little bit. I wonder if it is from the volume I put in by squatting 3x5 and 3 times a week for 9th week without missing a single workout. Since I have never squatted so much in my programs, maybe my joints are not used to the workload and just need to catch up by giving them some extra rest for a couple of weeks. Perhaps I should just do 2x5 @ 70% of 5RM and squat once a week for the next 2 weeks?
    Bench Press: First plateau.
    Deadlift: Felt strong. Made it to my previous highest training weight. Once I did a 5x5 Deadlift only workout with 150 kg. Never done 5 reps with higher weight.

Default Week 10, Workout 1

Monday, 05. November 2018

The Press (seated): 3x5 @ 57,5 kg (126 lbs); Actual 4/4/4/3
    Bench Press: 1x10 @ 77,5 kg (170 lbs)
    Chin-ups: 3xAMRAP; Result: 8/7/4

Comments:
    So first week of the program my BW was 80,9 kg (weekly average). Last week (9th week) average was 88,5 kg and today was 89,5 kg, which is the heaviest I have ever weighed. I weigh myself every morning first thing when I wake up, before drinking any water and right after taking a piss, wearing only underwear always. Gives me a comparable result because the conditions are as same as possible. I put the weight to Excel table and it automatically calculates weekly average, which gives me a fairly accurate trendline to see my weight movement direction and speed.
    I want fix my right knee, so I cut back on squat volume for a week or two, to see how it feels.
    The Press (seated): Even though failed, I am ok with the current result. I have never attempted 5 reps with this weight.
    Bench Press: Since I did not do Squats, I just wanted to do some extra pressing volume. 1x10 @ 77,5 kg was just a weight to test myself, since my previous 10RM was 75 kg performed in May. This result tells me I am stronger than ever before. The last rep though was a true limit attempt. I have not had a completed rep this close to failing ever at Bench Press. Not even any 1RM's.
    Chin-ups: I am happy with 8/7/4. I was not expecting more nor less. It was my first Chin-ups AMRAP during current training program.

Default Week 10, Workout 2

Wednesday, 07. November 2018

Squat: 3x5 @ 80 kg (176 lbs)
    Bench Press: 3x5 @ 87,5 kg (192 lbs)
    Power Clean: 5x3 @ 72,5 kg (159 lbs)

Comments:
    Squat: So this my knee recovery week. I want to see if the pain is caused by muscle tightness. I stretch and put less stress on legs.
    Bench Press: Best ever. Good improvement. Less fatigue from lower weight squats might have helped. Not sure. But higher weight means stronger me.
    Power Clean: How can I get better at Power Clean technique, If I do them only every 4th workout? Does not feel enough, to develop those motor pathways.

Default Week 10, Workout 3

Friday, 09. November 2018

The Press (seated): 3x5 @ 57,5 kg (126 lbs)
    Bench Press: 1xAMRAP @ 80 kg (176 lbs); Result: x9 (PR)
    Weighted Chin-ups: 3x5 @ 5 kg (11 lbs)
    Power Clean practice

Comment:
    No Squats. Still figuring out my knee pain cause.
    The Press (seated): This is PR. My new 5RM. And I did 3 successful sets. Stronger than ever before. I will not mark it down to my records though, because it is not performed standing (though seated feels even harder). I will just keep working on it, and once I have a chance to do actual standing Presses, I will break my records.
    Bench Press: Just some extra pressing volume, because of no Squats. The 1xAMRAP was sort of a test for me again. My previous 9RM was 77,5 kg (established in May, 2018), and previous 80 kg AMRAP was 8 reps (also from May 2018).
    Weighted Chin-ups: I am very happy with successful 3x5 performance on this. I have never done Weighted Chin-ups before (except with 0 kg weight last week).
    Power Clean: I just did a bunch of single reps with short breaks @ 50 kg, to improve my technique. I feel like I got a lot better. We'll see next time.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Karelipoeg View Post
    1x10 @ 77,5 kg was just a weight to test myself, since my previous 10RM was 75 kg performed in May. This result tells me I am stronger than ever before.
    Awesome. It's a great feeling to achieve that.
    Congratulations.

At some point I will need to test my 20 rep max from when I was 20 years old.
    For some reason I lost interest in low rep sets when I was at my strongest, so I only have a 20 rep max reference for bench press, also I weighed 16 kg less so I guess it's not really fair to compare. I could bench press my body weight for 20 reps but I only weighed 65kg. So it was 65kg x 20 reps.
    Now I weigh 81kg I would love to be able to say I could bench 80kg for 20 reps but I'm no where near that.

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast