Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Karel's 100% SS LP log

Default Karel's 100% SS LP log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey,

Intro:
    I am a young man living in Estonia. I am a college student with a Bachelor degree in Electrical Engineering and am currently studying in Bachelor studies for Entrepreneurship and Business Administration.

Properties
    Height: 5'11''
    Weight: 81 kg (187 lbs) on 5th of Sept, 2018

1RM-s (April 2018)
    Deadlift: 190 kg (419 lbs)
    Squat: 140 kg (309 lbs)
    Bench Press: 100 kg (220 lbs)
    Press: 60 kg (132 lbs)
    Bodyfat: Approx. 14-16%

History:
    Always done sports. Played floorball for 12 years before started going to gym. Did other stuff here and there (running, few half-marathons, CrossFit, street workout, stupid gym workouts, bodybuilding styile bulking and cutting, different strength programs inconsistently). Started eating healthy, training consistently, and setting different workout goals on different periods from beginning of 2016 (2,5 years semi-serious training till Sept 2018). Never had serious injuries. For the last 3 months, I have done 0 workouts of any kind due to work circumstances.

Now:
    Bought my own barbell, plates, bench and squat stands in Sept 2017, so I mostly work out from home. Best investment I have ever done. For the last 6 months I have learned a lot watching Starting Strength Youtube videos. I just bought the book, but haven't had a chance to read it yet. I have never done the actual Starting Strength program, so I thought it is about the time.

Plan:
    My plan is to do the Starting Strength Program the way it is intended to be done (otherwise, by definition, it is not the Starting Strength Program). I do not have a problem gaining weight (actually I intend to gain at least 10 kg (20 lbs) if not more). Since I have not done any workouts whatsoever for the last 3 months (June-August), I am a bit de-trained and will start with low weights to build my strength back up with correct technique. I will start with:
    Squat: 50 kg (110 lbs)
    Bench Press: 40 kg (88 lbs)
    Deadlift: 60 kg (132 lbs)
    Press: 30 kg (66 lbs)
    I will start all lifts un-belted

I will train Mon-Wed-Fri
    I intend to do Phase 1 for 4 weeks
    Phase 2 for 4 weeks
    Phase 3 after that
    First few weeks the weights will go higher faster, but eventually all lifts will start increasing by 2,5 kg (5,5 lbs). I plan on purchasing smaller plates as well for micro-loading at some point.
    The only extra thing I need to do is jogging on Sundays for 20 minutes. I found that this will keep away exertion headaches, which otherwise start occuring at higher weights and have pushed me back in my training several times for painfully long periods.
    Last edited by Karelipoeg; 09-06-2018 at 06:42 AM.

Default Week 1, Workout 1

Tuesday, 04. September 2018

Squat: 3x5 @ 50 kg (110 lbs)
    Bench Press: 3x5 @ 40 kg (88 lbs)
    Deadlift: 3x5 @ 60 kg (132 lbs)

Comments: Usually I am going to train Mon-Wed-Fri, but this week it will be Tue-Thu-Sat because this is when I had a chance to start.
    I know that Deadlifts are 1x5, but I got over-enthusiastic and forgot it during my workout and automatically did 3x5. Nice soreness in posterior chain muscles for the next 2 days Feels good to be training again. YEAH!
    Last edited by Karelipoeg; 09-10-2018 at 02:02 PM.

Good luck, dude! I think the microplates would be a wise purchase. Your lifts are quite similar to mine (though I'm taller and heavier), so I'm rooting for you a little extra!

Quote Originally Posted by Karelipoeg View Post
    Hey,

The only extra thing I need to do is jogging on Sundays for 20 minutes. I found that this will keep away exertion headaches, which otherwise start occuring at higher weights and have pushed me back in my training several times for painfully long periods.
    This is interesting. So you say that, if you don't take up a light jog for 20 minutes on Sundays, your head begins to ache if you've been lifting heavy? How did you discover that a Sunday jog would make the headaches stop?

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Bischoff View Post
    This is interesting. So you say that, if you don't take up a light jog for 20 minutes on Sundays, your head begins to ache if you've been lifting heavy? How did you discover that a Sunday jog would make the headaches stop?
    Exertion headaches at maximum effort physical performances started occuring while I was 16 (9 years ago). They have been occuring and non-occuring at several different periods, but when it comes once, it starts coming frequently. Those who have had it, know how bad it sucks and there is not much you can do about it except go back to low weights and start building up again slowly. However, I have never experienced them on periods where I have been frequently running. For me it is just a safety precaution, because people who have had them before, have an increased chance of them coming back.

Another option is, that if I reach weights where I start to get stuck and not increase every workout, then after a few workouts the blood vessels and nerves in my brain get used to the increased blood pressure at maximum effort, and I might get rid of the jogging. But for now, as the workouts are getting more and more challenging every workout, I feel this is a precaution that might help me avoid huge setbacks.

Default Week 1, Workout 2

Thursday, 06. September 2018

Squat: 3x5 @ 60 kg (132 lbs)
    Press: 3x5 @ 30 kg (66 lbs)
    Deadlift: 1x5 @ 70 kg (154 lbs)

Comments: I am going to use hook grip for Deadlifts from now as long as I stick to this program. Interesting tweak to my deadlifts. I have never done this before.
    Last edited by Karelipoeg; 09-10-2018 at 02:02 PM.

When I was young I never got the headaches, but I would pass out and vomit from pushing myself too hard.
    Eventually I stopped cause it started happenning every work out.
    After starting this program I've had a couple of moments where I vomited from exertion but not blacking out, so I'm happy.

Default Week 1, Workout 3

Saturday, 08. September 2018

Squat: 3x5 @ 65 kg (143 lbs)
    Bench Press: 3x5 @ 50 kg (110 lbs)
    Deadlift: 1x5 @ 80 kg (176 lbs)

Comments: Nice to have the workouts last less than 30 mins. Just because the breaks are so short.

Default Week 2, Workout 1

Monday, 10. September 2018

Squat: 3x5 @ 70 kg (154 lbs)
    Press: 3x5 @ 35 kg (77 lbs)
    Deadlift: 1x5 @ 90 kg (198 lbs)

Comments: The Deadlifts felt already heavier. Everything else is like warmup

Default Week 2, Workout 2

starting strength coach development program
    Wednesday, 12. September 2018

Squat: 3x5 @ 75 kg (165 lbs)
    Bench Press: 3x5 @ 55 kg (121 lbs)
    Deadlift: 1x5 @ 100 kg (220 lbs)

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast