starting strength gym
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: bigdragonfly's log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Was worried that my walks were interfering with my leg recovery and had been considering removing them. Although my squats felt heavy on my back yesterday, I didn't have trouble finishing any of my sets so I assume that I was recovered enough. Instead of removing the walks again immediately, I'm going to try lowering the intensity to something that feels good but isn't strenuous. If on a treadmill, I had been walking 3-3.2 mph on a 1.5% incline for 40 minutes. Tonight, I decided to just do 2.5 mph on a 0.5% incline. It was an easy place that still raised my body temperature and got the sweat going a little and should hopefully boost my metabolism for some extra calorie burn as I sleep. Hopefully I notice an improvement tomorrow.

Fwiw, I feel much more recovered today that I did 48 hours ago, so will continue an easy walk (48 mins) on my days off.

Something else I did was to have a low carb breakfast and to bring my oatmeal with almond butter with me to work and I'll have that as my last snack before leaving (about 1.75 hours before lifting).

W2 D3 - Completed all sets 3 x 5

Squat 200
    Bench 160
    Deadlift 195

Felt much stronger than I did on Tuesday.

W3 D1 -completed all sets 3x5

Squat 210
    OHP 110
    Deadlifts 205

Have 2 lifts > 200 now. Felt really strong on squats and deadlifts. OHP feeling heavy but all completed - gotta remember to squeeze.

Can't believe I wasn't going to do LP - so glad I reconsidered!

Quote Originally Posted by bigdragonfly View Post
    Can't believe I wasn't going to do LP - so glad I reconsidered!
    Yes that would be very dumb.

W3 D2 - completed all sets 3x5

I love that feeling I get when I put the bar down after finishing my work set of deadlifts. It's a brief sensation that my body is just about to rise up of the floor.

W3 D3 - completed all warm-ups and work sets

Got my 1st and 2nd 2-plate lifts under my belt tonight.

W4 D1 Completed wall warm-up and work sets.

Squat 240
    Bench 170
    Dead 235

1. Dead are really starting to test my grip. I'm still using a double overhand grip. I control the weight down every rep and had been able to keep the same group for all 5 work reps but have had to readjust with a short pause after 3 reps the last 2 sessions. Still able to finish.

2. My app recommended that I consider adding chins to my sessions. I know it knows how much I weigh. Can fat 325lb'rs do chins. I tried a few weeks ago to see how much I could lift myself. I just hung there lol. I guess I can try again.

3. My squats are feeling really heavy right now. My form has become sloppier than I would prefer. I'm thinking about deloading and changing my incremental increases to 5 lbs. Pretty sure about the deload. Less sure about the increment change.
    Last edited by bigdragonfly; 09-24-2018 at 07:13 AM. Reason: Added bullet number 3

W4 D2

Squat 250
    OHP 120
    Deads 245

Fixed breathing on squats, much better squats.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdragonfly View Post
    W4 D1 Completed wall warm-up and work sets.

Squat 240
    Bench 170
    Dead 235

1. Dead are really starting to test my grip. I'm still using a double overhand grip. I control the weight down every rep and had been able to keep the same group for all 5 work reps but have had to readjust with a short pause after 3 reps the last 2 sessions. Still able to finish.

2. My app recommended that I consider adding chins to my sessions. I know it knows how much I weigh. Can fat 325lb'rs do chins. I tried a few weeks ago to see how much I could lift myself. I just hung there lol. I guess I can try again.

3. My squats are feeling really heavy right now. My form has become sloppier than I would prefer. I'm thinking about deloading and changing my incremental increases to 5 lbs. Pretty sure about the deload. Less sure about the increment change.
    While the app does record your weight, I don't think it uses that information to alter the advise it provides in terms of chin ups.

I've learned that the app is a useful tool to get your foot in the door to the world of weight training, but that you can't let it's limitations determine what you do and don't do. In your case, it sounds like regular chins are out of the question, but there are other options, such as lat pull downs and assisted chins (using bands or a machine). You may use these to develop the underlying strength for chin ups while you also focus on cutting weight. If time and recovery is limited for you, it may be better to focus on the main lifts and getting your diet in order (calorie defecit with plenty of protein) so you can lose weight but skew the losses towards more fat and less lean body tissue.

Good luck!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast