starting strength gym
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: bigdragonfly's log

W5 D2 Suuuuuucked! 5-6 hours sleep last 2 nights for the loss.

Squats: 280 x 3, 275 x 1
    Bench: 180, finished all sets
    Deadlifts: 275 x 2

Gonna get better sleep and try again Thursday.

W5 D3

Squats: 3 x 5 x 280 - all grind
    OHP: 3 x 5 x 130
    Deadlifts: 2 x 1 x 275

My inclination was to drop my squats to 5 pound increments but since I was able to finish, maybe I'll continue with 10s a little bit longer.

This was my 2nd failure on deads on a row. Thinking about reducing weight a little and finally adding cleans into the mix. Unsure if I should reduce jumps to 5 lbs yet.

W6 D1

Squats 290
    Bench 185
    Cleans 85

I did my first power cleans workout today. They feel awkward. I suppose that will fade in time. I probably could have put more on the bar but my app is set for 10 lb jumps right now so I suppose it will catch up quickly enough.
    Last edited by bigdragonfly; 10-07-2018 at 05:53 PM.

Front Squats: 170
    Bench: 210
    Deadlift: 255

210 on bench tonight was easier than last week's 205. I'm blaming carryover from last Thursday's effort on overhead press (135) for tonight's boost. Felt strong on other lifts too. Finally was able to hook grip my last deadlift set and hopeful that will help me break through the grip strength induced plateau that I've been struggling with around 270-275 lbs.

Still nursing pulled groin. Stuck to bench press tonight and worked on mobility for low bar back squat rack position. Found out that I seem to do better with a thumbs around grip.

Bench: 3 x 5 x 215 lb

Hey man - I just read through your first/last pages on here - great progress! I'm curious; have you hit a body weight goal at this point? Also, what about mixed grip on deadlift?

Mid-30s Family Man Training Log

Quote Originally Posted by claywieczorek View Post
    Hey man - I just read through your first/last pages on here - great progress! I'm curious; have you hit a body weight goal at this point? Also, what about mixed grip on deadlift?

Mid-30s Family Man Training Log
    No. I've actually been struggling with my weight lately but not stressing too much right now since I'm lifting and so some of the weight should be muscle. I'm still avoiding sweets.

336 lb this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by claywieczorek View Post
    Also, what about mixed grip on deadlift?
    I'm working on getting used to hook grip with heavier weights. I want to do some oly lifting and the mixed grip won't help me there. If I really wanted to get the weight up high for general strength but continue to be limited my grip strength, I think I'd rather use straps. I'm not crazy about the symmetry of using a mixed grip.
    Last edited by bigdragonfly; 11-18-2018 at 10:21 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Still being careful with groin. Continued working shoulder mobility for low bar squats. Did doubles and triples up to 190lb. Noticed very slight discomfort at 180 and just a bit more at 190. Recorded last set and still struggling to get parallel. I wonder if I am leaning too far forward and perhaps that is causing me to struggle with parallel. Will adjust next time.

Struggled with 140 on ohp for the second time in a row (3 on 1st set). Reduced weight and will work back up. May have to look into getting a set of micro-plates soon.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast