Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Exhausting Linear Progression

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Schexnayder View Post
    +∞

(Excellent marriage advice in general)

Are you or your wife a good cook? Learn to do things like roast an entire chicken and braise beef short ribs. They are fairly cheap by the pound. Eggs and milk are also your best friends.

Also, gram for gram, whey protein powders are actually fairly cost effective. So if you have a fairly tight budget, just sneaking in the $50 or so a month for a can of protein powder can be a cheap way to save dough in the long run.
    Yes my wife is an excellent cook! She's the best I know and is famous for it amongst my social circle.

I understand which foods are cheap and decent. My main issue, unfortunately, is affording it all right now.

Hence my previous posts about what provides the most calories per penny (I'm from the UK). From this, it seems to me that some extra shots of olive oil in the day could be an option. However, there's no protein in it.

This is also why I have shifted to using big chunks of cheese in my sandwiches that I take to work. Cheap and high in calories, yet still providing some protein. But now I'm getting questioned on how unhealthy it is from people too because of all the saturated fats!

We're watching our budget at the moment down to the pound, so it's a bit of a struggle to work things out. I'll get there.

Thank you both for chiming in!

Just watched this on 'How to Beat Skinnyfat'. Decent motivation to get stronger.

YouTube

Will be introducing this little mix into my diet next week.

Weight back up again today so proves that I fluctuate a bit. Up to 81.5kg.

Squats good. Bench decent.

Paused bench very light and probably unnecessary. Curls good for a pump but again probably not that productive.

Really don't know what I'm doing with extra 'accessory' work. However, I know I want the 'big guns' to go alongside the bigger lifts, and I know I don't like barbell rows.

Very tiring day at work today, but lifts still going up and bodyweight up a bit today too! Did my curls shamefully in a corner, as instructed!

100kg is a milestone, man. Nice work.

Quote Originally Posted by misspelledgeoff View Post
    100kg is a milestone, man. Nice work.
    Ah yeah thank you!

Squat felt surprisingly good. I focussed on attacking the sets at speed!

Bench was hard going, and I think I've finally hit the point where I need to just use 2.5kg jumps.

Curls fun for the pump. Never lasts though does it?

BW down from last sesh but on the whole it's slowly increasing. I'll be trying a new diet next week involving 'olive oil milkshakes' and peanut butter sandwiches for lunch (wife wants me to be healthier by ditching the cheese.)

Need to get clear on my goals.

Going off the fuckarounditis article, and allowing myself to creep up in weight to 100kg, I think the goals to shoot for are:

- Squat 160kg
    - Bench 120kg
    - Deadlift 200kg
    - Chinups 20kg or 8 reps at just bodyweight.

Are these goals attainable with Starting Strength? Don't know, but it's something to progress towards!

Given the above, I think it's pretty clear I need to get stronger and worry less about bodyfat.

I also need to adjust my programming. I'll now increase my rest periods to 5 minutes, decrease my weight progressions to 2.5kgs (apart from deads which are still 5kg), and increase my deadlift frequency. I.e. do the program as written.

starting strength coach development program
    I’m 5’11”, 40 yo and surpassed those numbers at a BW of 225lbs.

This was when I was consuming 3500 cals per day.

Forgetting total cals at the moment, how many grams of protein are you consuming per day?

The thing that sets alarm bells ringing for me is you mentioning feeling tired/jaded. In my personal experience this is always when cals are too low and I’m not consuming enough protein.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast