starting strength gym
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Exhausting Linear Progression

Default Exhausting Linear Progression

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Heresy! Yes I'm using the Stronglifts app for my log.

I just like the setup of the program, and how it automatically progresses you through different set and rep ranges to milk linear progression longer.

I also like that it handles your weight increment on auto too. You increase 5kg on deads until a set limit then it changes 2.5kg jumps, and on the upper body lifts you move to 1.25kg increments after some stalls.

This completely takes out the guesswork for me and let's me go on autopilot. This is vital for me, as I overthink programming and nutrition A LOT.

However, it is essentially Starting Strength in that I have switched to 3x5 from the start. I need to get stronger, not sweaty.

Stats:

Male
    180cm
    80kg ish (need to gain weight)
    Weak as hell

My plan for bulking is just monitor me weight. If I don't gain bodyweight session to session (only lifting twice a week) then I'll try to fit in more cals.
    Last edited by spamuel; 09-22-2018 at 07:36 AM.

Good start but a long way to go. I remember when I could squat double this and weighed 15kg more!

Eurgh I hate trying to get form right on rows. Still, gotta practice them to get better.

Bulking options:

Cheese Sandwich
    80g per sandwich (2 bread) = 2.60÷5 = 52p
    Cals 333 (495)
    C 1.3 (28.3)
    F 26.6 (28.6)
    P 20.2 (27.6)
    6.4 cals per penny

Milk 1litre = 60p
    Cals 620
    C 47
    F 36
    P 32
    10.3 cals per penny

Nuts 125g = 80p
    Cals 773
    C 26.3
    F 62
    P 23.9
    9.6 cals per penny
    Last edited by spamuel; 09-24-2018 at 12:48 AM.

Not a bad session considering poor sleep and I'm ill with a bad cold. My throat feels like it's been ripped apart.

Managed 20 chins in a row which was surprising, but just shows how light I am now!

However my diet is remain unchanged until I hit a 'stall' in my weight gain from session to session.

Useful links for myself and others (if anyone reads this):

1. How to bulk using milk in a linear progression fashion, essentialky building up to GOMAD Gaining Bodyweight Without GOMAD

2. How to bulk until you are a viking. You have to 'eat through' the phase of skinny fat Skinny-> Skinny-Fat -> Viking

3. How to warmup. Useful knowledge for me as I used to always 'over warmup' so my workouts were too long Our warm-up is...a warm-up | Niki Sims

4. Johnny Pain's progress as inspiration Update

5. Article by Johnny Pain about how much cardio you actually need in your training. Especially useful for me since I have an active job anyway Appropriate Conditioning | John Sheaffer

6. Progress post by Lion Heart as inspiration Training and eating like a lion

7. The best write-up on the importance of 'mindset' towards training. Mindset > Diet > Program https://startingstrength.com/resourc...-training.html

8. The article that got me back to the barbell, and has provided me with goals to strive for https://leangains.com/fuckarounditis/

Some things I established yesterday..

1. I need to get stronger quicker, especially my deadlift apparently. As such, I have doubled my progression rate on each lift except the press. I add 5kg each workout to my bench and squat, and 10kg to deads.

2. I need to eat more and to gain weight. This doesnt have to be milk, but should be something with protein. I didnt gain bodyweight by the latest workout, so I'll be adding more daily calories.

3. Milk is the ideal but we lack the space, and I feel weird taking milk to work with me on cobstruction sites. Cheese sandwiches are my next best bet at 500 calories each. Other options include nuts or baked beans.

4. I bench using a close grip as this is all my rack allows me room for, I'll just have to make do and try to progress like this.

So yesterday went well. Legs are starting to feel thicker and stronger again. I'm just about to reach bodyweight squats.

I haven't found any issue adding 5kg/10kg to lifts each session so far.

Deadlift was the only slightly funny one yesterday, but that I put that down to fatigue after moving and building blockwork all day.

Started a session today because I managed to finish work, but it got cut majorly short as I had to go pick up the boy.

Hit the squats and left. Also, bodyweight is slightly lower than last workout's.

starting strength coach development program
    Even though I hit squats yesterday, I decided to train today. Lifts were'nt too bad but fuck rows, seriously. It's too hard to get form right without 'kipping' the weight up. I much prefer single arm DB rows or chins/pullups.

Also, I'm even lighter today!

I've also changed the bench (that I do close grip) to 2.5kg increments, since it's getting tougher now.
    Last edited by spamuel; 10-06-2018 at 07:37 AM.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast