starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Daniel's NLP Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Worked with Coach Carter today. Need to get a little more bounce out of the bottom of the squat. I tend to descend slowly into the bottom on my worksets getting little to no stretch reflex. Power Clean I need to "stand tall" and shrug at the top of the jump. I also tend to jump a little early when the bar is at my knees. Still a pretty good day. I tend to want to curl up in a ball and go to sleep on the days I do Power Cleans.

October 17, 2018
    Squat: 325 x 5 x 3
    Bench Press: 225 x 5 x 3
    Power Clean: 175 x 3 x 5
    BW: 206 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Jones View Post
    I tend to want to curl up in a ball and go to sleep on the days I do Power Cleans.
    Hey, at least you’re saying this in the context of someone with pretty decent power clean numbers. Keep it up!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Schexnayder View Post
    Hey, at least you’re saying this in the context of someone with pretty decent power clean numbers. Keep it up!
    Thanks for the encouragement Eric. Yeah I have a love/hate relationship with these things. I feel I ought to do them because I was an athlete of sorts, so doing them let's me pretend I still am. I told Coach Carter, once you see you have 5 sets in front of you to do after your warmup, it's like some kind of gauntlet or alley your going through. Deadlift day is definitely easier IMO.

Another tough day. Just glad it's over and the weekend is here. On my final rep of the squat, I was about a half inch above parallel. I really hate when I miss depth.

October 19, 2018
    Squat: 330 x 5 x 3
    Press: 142.5 x 5 x 3
    Deadlift: 330 x 5
    Chins: BW x 8,7,5
    BW: 207 lbs

Hi Daniel! Interesting background and impressive numbers (then and now)! Keep up the good work! I may have missed this in your log, but where do you train? Looking forward to following your progress.

Quote Originally Posted by j.r. View Post
    Hi Daniel! Interesting background and impressive numbers (then and now)! Keep up the good work! I may have missed this in your log, but where do you train? Looking forward to following your progress.
    Hi JR. Thanks for posting. I train at home. I have a small room in the house dedicated to weight lifting with a gym type composite rubber floor. EliteFTS collegiate half-rack, Rogue B&R bar, VTX grip plates as well as bumper plates. Works pretty well for my situation.

I have no doubt you'll get there and pretty quickly. Look forward to following your progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Jones View Post
    Yes I most certainly did, but it was not a below parallel squat like we do in SS. If I was to venture a guess here, I would probably have done somewhere between 550-600 lb going to the SS type of depth at that time. According to Coach Rippetoe, if a kid can jump 35.5", I'm not sure it's all that remarkable that I worked myself up to that kind of squat.

I was 190 lbs @ just below 7% body fat. The Strength and Conditioning Coach at Baylor at the time was in love with all of us being really low body fat. When I got to Baylor I was 195 lbs at around 12%. Had I known better, I would've stayed at 12%. Many athletes had to have IV's during two-a-days in the heat of Waco Texas who were below 5% body fat.

I'd like to think that I can get back to a 500+ squat at 43 (about to be 44) years old.

Thanks for asking.

Okay it's Power Clean day. Anybody want to loan me a hammock? I hit depth on every squat today, and I felt pretty good about it. Bench was harder than usual I felt. And then on the Power Clean, I missed rep #2 on the 1st set, but I performed an extra pull to complete the set. I had to psyche myself up for the rest of the sets. That seemed to help. I think maybe I was just getting lazy on my rack position, because the height on the pull was fine.

A couple of other things I'd like to note. I've been struggling with a mild case of IT band/Bursitis discomfort on both legs just below the Greater Trochanter. I narrowed my stance some on the squat to exactly shoulder width (16.5 inches from joint to joint) and that seemed to help a little bit. Discomfort is more of a pain in the ass, and something I deal with post-workout more than anything.

I feel pretty beat up today after the workout. I think after this week, if I can get through it, is to move into a light squat Wednesday to give my body a little break, but I really want to finish up the week on a normal progression.

October 22, 2018
    Squat: 335 x 5 x 3
    Bench Press: 227.5 x 5 x 3
    Power Clean: 177.5 x 3 x 5
    BW: 207 lbs
    Last edited by Daniel Jones; 10-24-2018 at 02:59 PM.

I think the light squat mid-week will certainly help, esp if that's the day you deadlift. Are you micro-loading bench? When I ran the LP earlier this year, my bench got up to 215; micro-loading seemed to help my press but not bench. This is an interesting article regarding pressing during LP:
    Novice Bench and Press Plug-In - Barbell Medicine

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by claywieczorek View Post
    I think the light squat mid-week will certainly help, esp if that's the day you deadlift. Are you micro-loading bench? When I ran the LP earlier this year, my bench got up to 215; micro-loading seemed to help my press but not bench. This is an interesting article regarding pressing during LP:
    Novice Bench and Press Plug-In - Barbell Medicine
    Yeah I'm using 2.5 lb jumps on the Press and Bench Press, but my Press numbers are low and I feel like the Squat is going to change before anything else does.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast