starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chair Force incarnate

Default Chair Force incarnate

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Yo, waddap.

I'm currently active duty in the USAF, and I work on computers. My job consists of 8-10 hours of sitting in a chair. I suffered an injury to my right arm/shoulder right before I deployed in July, it was a motorcycle wreck on a closed course.

TL;DR
    I hurt my arm, this program helped.

35433309_10214875595515082_7246426000987258880_n.jpg

I was allowed to deploy on a waiver because I could literally still accomplish my job had I lost my arm completely

My right arm was very weak, at first I could barely move it. It hurt from exertion and pushing its range of motion. I attended sporadic physical therapy for 2 months that accomplished in my opinion a whole lot of nothing, I truly believe it simply just healed. They wanted me to do nothing but the locked ROM machines available in our gym on base, at my core I despise these machines. A lot of exercises (not in SS) still cause me pain and a strength imbalance is definitely there. I do still do the band exercises they prescribed, but I am so grateful I found this program.

The only exercise in this program that irritates my injury is the press, I can manipulate the type of pain by changing my form. Because of this I'm confident it's mainly due to a problem with my form, I am still perfecting it. I plan to utilize the form correction section of this forum eventually.

This is the only program I've ever done that showed me immediate results. I started this 17 days ago, and have had to miss a few sessions due to work. In those 17 days I've increased my squat by 60lbs, which is the main focus of my strength goals.

My main goal right now is to hit 315lbs for 3x5 with my squat, that's 90 more pounds and I've got three months to do it.

I'm male, 24, 6'3, and 225lbs ish

Progress as of 10/5/2018;
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by alilgoat; 10-05-2018 at 06:38 AM.

Welcome. I can't quite read your colorful report. One is way too big for my page and the other is too small for my old eyes to read. Still, it's good to see that you are in the program.

The forum doesn't like the large images, so here's a link to an album instead. Should work better on imgur if you're interested in the app report.
    Updated progress report; Imgur: The magic of the Internet

I am ecstatic about my progress thus far, even though it has been repeatedly stalled largely due to regular sleep deprivation. A deployed environment is not the greatest for a consistent sleep schedule.
    I've narrowed down my problems with the press and I no longer get the pinching pain in my elbow, it has now subsided to a dull ache, so I'll take that as a win.

Updated progress report;
    Imgur: The magic of the Internet

I finally got around to recording a video and posting a form check. I can already pick out numerous flaws myself including wrists and knee travel, but I'm hopeful for things I'm not seeing.
    Here's the link to the form check request; Squat Check Plis

Updated progress report;
    Imgur: The magic of the Internet

I've got little under a month left to hit my goal of 315lbs 3x5 squats, I'm certainly gonna get close but after yesterdays setback I don't know if I'll make it in time. I did 285 3x5 no problem last week, but I failed 290 on the first set yesterday. I did feel like ulti-trash before I even failed, so I'm going to re-attempt 290 on friday. If it's still a shit show I'll back off a bit and climb back up next week.

That's the ticket, man: If you fail 290 twice running, give yourself a reset and runback.

IF that it happens: Is it your first reset?

Edited to add: What's the rush on 315? Redeployment coming up?
    Last edited by Geoff Bischoff; 12-12-2018 at 10:53 PM.

No, it will not be the first. I started doing light days on Wednesday, due to pain in my inner thigh, but I finally did a form check and I didn't experience that pain again when I jumped back to 3 heavy days a week. Last week was my first attempt at doing 3 days a week again... I did it, but failed the next week. So we'll see what happens

Okay, so you still have the "Light Wednesday" card to play; you also have the "Top set, Drop set" card to play.

Good; it's nice to still have cards in your hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Bischoff View Post
    Okay, so you still have the "Light Wednesday" card to play; you also have the "Top set, Drop set" card to play.

Good; it's nice to still have cards in your hand.
    Oh, I just saw your edit. I made 315lbs for 3x5 my goal because I want to attempt the "1000lbs club" challenge they have here on base before I leave. I'm going to attempt it regardless before I leave, but I figured that level of strength would be a good enough base for a 350lbs single squat, 245 bench, and 405 deadlift. I want that coin, shirt, and my name on the wall :P

starting strength coach development program
    Go get some! That's cool; I remember those 1000lb club incentives at the gyms in Baghdad, Qayarrah, Mosul. Never was strong enough back then to get on the board. Sounds like you've got a shot. I'll stay tuned.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast