• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Monday, January 7, 2019
    Squat: 245x5x3
    Press: 107.5x5x3
    Power Clean: 122.5x3x5

BW: 309.5 lb (no change)
    Waist: 52.5" (down 1/2")

It is so nice to be moving squat up again. I won't say 245 was easy, but it is probably the easiest +5 I've done or will do in quite some time. My body was ready for it, and it went up pretty easily. Sadly, it still got in my head and I descended too quickly on set 2 rep 5, causing me to "fall" forward a bit on the way up. I made the rep, but it was not the prettiest thing. I will make sure to stay out of my head on Wed for 250. It's been a long time, and still a ways off, but 295 was my limit (did something like 5, 5, 3 or 4) when I did NLP 7-8 years ago. I'm excited to get there again, and really going to push to get through it to 3 plates, but I am nervous of the weight that "beat me" back then. (Truth is, I beat myself by getting distracted and off program.)

Press was solid. This was my first pressing with wrist wraps, and man does it feel different. I definitely felt more solid during the move - almost like the weight was attached to my wrists rather than in my hands. I do have to admit that 107.5 was more of a challenge than I expected, but give how well it went, I expect to hit 110 on Friday and be moving on from that small reset.

Power cleans all racked well. Some things I need to focus on are 1) keeping the bar against my legs on the pull (much better this time); 2) Jumping with full force, not my perception of how much force is required; and 3) not doing the stupid donkey kick, which when I don't do it, I seem to jump higher/harder every time.

Body weight says it's the same, but back to work, so weigh-in is 3 hours earlier than it was last week. I expect if I had weighed in at 8 or 8:30 am, I would have been sub-309, so to me this is progress. Waist is also down to 52.5". I have said before that I am not confident I measure 100% correctly, but I did this several times and it came up the same. If there is a measuring error as to why I'm 1/2", it is probably in last week's measure of 53" more so than today.

I have decided to forego chins until they are called for in the program. My reasoning is that when it is time to add them, I can progress them through the assisted machine just as well as I can now, but it will be with scheduled time in the workout. Right now they are tossed in at the end after whatever the pull is, and I have no doubt they have impacted my lifts - particularly my pulls. I will be continuing to walk (been off of that too long), and will post tomorrow's cardio/walk when it is complete.

You're making great progress.

Quote Originally Posted by positronbomb View Post
    You're making great progress.
    This. ++

Thanks, pb and bt, I really do appreciate it.

anytime brother, going to enjoy watching you achieve some very worth goals.

Wednesday, January 9, 2019
    Squat: 250x5x3
    Bench: 170x5x3
    Deadlift: 295x5

All in all a good workout. Deadlift was tough, and found on reps after the first I was dropping my hips too much. Last deadlift rep was also a bit rounded as was evident at the top of the lift, but I got it. Will work on eliminating the roundness on any of the reps. Squat wasn't ever in doubt that it was going to go up, but it's definitely not doing 240 again . Bench I am just not sure what to do here. 170 was good, but not sure if I should switch to 2.5 lb increments or keep 5 going still. I feel like adding the wrist wraps has really solidified this lift and I can go up by 5 a bit longer, but I also don't want to push for 185 and rush to get there, needing to reset like I did with press and power cleans. I think I'm going to give 175 a go on Monday, but still keeping an eye on this lift.

Bumper plates came in yesterday, so I'm not set with over 500lbs of weights (counting the bar). This should keep me set for a while. I found them really helpful with deadlifts. With these the bar doesn't roll as much on me (previously only had 1 45lb on each side, cast iron, and rolled a lot). This also puts the bar about 1.25" higher than the cast iron plates I have. This somewhat higher height definitely seemed noticeable to me. I was also able to confirm that at least one of my 10lb bumpers has a bit of a bow in it, but that really is to be expected with me loading up to 45lbs on each side of the bar with them.

Killing it, mate.

On bench: If you're entirely confident you've got 175, go for it. Else, bump to microloading. Remember: It is easier to avoid getting stuck, than it is to get unstuck once you're there!

I like seeing your bodyweight stay static while your waist comes down; that's satisfying. Keep at it!

Thanks, Geoff. I'm looking forward to pressing 110 tomorrow. It is the weight that I just couldn't quite finish out 3 set of 5 last time I was there. I expecting to crush it this time and move beyond. Next big goal will be 135, which will be 10 pressing sessions and looks to be 2/27. I've never got that high (130 was about it before), and the idea of pressing a big plate on each side is exciting.

Looks good, im in the same boat with losing weight. i also have those hard to find 56 inch pants

starting strength coach development program
    Cardio for 1/10/2018: 3 miles @ 60 mins.

Relatively slow pace, but it's been almost 2 weeks since my last walk, I hate cardio (though have been minding the walks a lot less lately), and really didn't want to go. I went and made the full 60 minutes. It's a win.

Kennybadger, I never bought 56" pants. I did get a few 50 and 52, and tried to wear around the waist, but they always ended up at the hips and under the gut. I am proud to say I now wear my pants around my waist and they stay their all day. No more fighting to keep them on place.

That said, even at 50 and 52, they are a pain to find. Many stores don't carry over 44", with some carrying up to 48" (which I wore for a long time and will again soon). Even the selection on Amazon was limited. PSA: don't get over 44" on your pants waist...it's way harder to shop.

Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast