starting strength gym
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: My Starting Strength log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Yeah forget running you don't need that to lose weight, you'll just seriously injure your knees.
    Focus on putting muscle mass on your frame and just walk.

I was recently in the obese range, I just walked twice a day every day.
    Walk on an empty stomach in the mornings and you will burn fat.
    Just enjoy getting stronger, the fat will fall of don't worry, it will.

Quote Originally Posted by positronbomb View Post
    In those situations, I set a count down timer on my phone.
    Set it for 30 minutes and just keep walking till it goes off, then just walk back home the same way.
    Good for around 3 to 3.5 miles depending on walking speed.
    Great idea. I downloaded mapmyfitness and have the voice trigger every half mile. I think that will work for me.

Geoff and positronbomb, thanks for the feedback on running/jogging. I still need to watch the video, but you are right that I shouldn't rush into it. It's the competitive side of me wanting to push me to be better, and that seemed the obvious path. I'll hold off for now and focus on being consistent on what I am doing.

Cardio for 11/10/2018: 3 miles @ 63 minutes; 2.86 MPH

Today was notably slower, but I was able to do it fasted. I've been struggling for a while with my feet rubbing inside my shoes and getting irritated. I am pretty sure my socks are too thick (they are; I actually buy them for the thickness ), and I probably need shoes that are more breathable. For the most part it's been just the outside edge of my right foot. At that point I wasn't sure if it was the socks/sweating, or the way I walk (and still not 100% sure it's socks/sweating). Yesterday my left foot I was getting irritated on the bottom of my left foot toes. I knew this was due to sweating and socks and stuff, and that it would blister up far faster than the side of my foot. I adjusted how I was walking a bit, made it home, and luckily no blisters.

This morning I thought 53 degrees would be a lot better than the nearly-80 yesterday for avoiding sweaty feet. That lasted about a mile, at which point my feet started hurting in the same spots. At a little under 2 miles out I knew I had to do something different, so I tried first to walk without any socks. My toes hated it (one blister confirmed at this point), my right foot seemed to be better that way, but not much and it may have been in my head. After a bit further I put my socks back on and made sure my shoes were snug. That didn't really help and my feet were not liking it at all, so at about .8 miles left, and since the path was fully paved, I took my shoes off and just walked in my socks. It was a noticeable increase to the impact on my heels, and I tried to keep a bit more play in the knees to avoid jarring them too much, but it did the trick for the walk home.

I'll be looking to pick up thinner socks today to hopefully relieve this issue, and I've already been looking into shoes. Tomorrow is an off day, so I'm going to enjoy the recovery time.

Great work.
    You can also tape up areas that are prone to blisters.
    In Australia we have this stuff called elastoplast, it works for me.
    Treat yourself with a pair of new shoes and socks to make walking as comfortable as possible.

When I was trying to transition into special operations, I put hundreds of miles on my feet. Shoes are important, no lie. But I found that Fox River makes kick-ass socks for long movements. I've gone upwards of 25 miles in a Fox River pair without a single blister before.

I just ordered several pairs of Amazon.com : Balega Hidden Comfort Athletic No Show Running Socks for Men and Women with Seamless Toe, (Large) - Neon Blue : Sports & Outdoors . My brother loves them, and he just did a 34 mile thing today, so he definitely is on his feet. Weird payng as much for one pair as I might have for a 6 before, but if it makes a difference I'm good with it. They should arrive Tuesday, and I'll tape the day or 2 until they arrive.

Oh those look great! I have something like that for low top shoes. Cool stuff.

Monday, November 12, 2018
    Squat: 185x5x3
    Bench: 115x5x3
    Deadlift: 205x5x1

Cardio: 2 miles post-workout; 39.5 minutes, 3.04 mph.

Body Weight: 322.4 (-2.8 lbs)
    Waist: 55" (-.5")

Body weight and waist moved in the direction I want them to move. Both are still within range of normal, so going to continue at my current intake and see how things look next week.

Squat - I'm torn on this. I can do the weight for 3 sets of 5. I'm still thinking I might be too vertical (more like 40-45 degrees instead of 30ish), and possibly the bar isn't low enough, though I think it is. I am focusing on form during the warm-ups and lifts, so I will probably stick with increases for now, but may reset in the near future. I also think that even if I'm not doing 100% best low-bar form, there may be some weight related limitations. Since I have to wait on the weight/body mass to drop, I figure I might as well keep going.

Bench is good. Will be going up 5 next session. The weight isn't too much, but it's noticeably heavier, and I don't want "too much" to sneak up on me in a 10 lb increment.

Deadlift - I dropped deads to the single set. It was primarily because of time today, and running a bit into the psychological barrier of having to lift that amount for 2 more sets. Will be pushing for 225 next session at which point I will only be increasing by 10 or so per session.

Cardio - New socks should be in tomorrow. I taped my blistered (but going away) toe and the part of my right foot that have been having issues, and I was good. The tape I used, which was all we had, sucked, so towards the end of 2 miles I was starting to feel those spots through the tape (primarily the blistered toe). All in all this was good.

starting strength coach development program
    Great work.

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast