Thread: My Starting Strength log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Wednesday, December 5, 2018
    Squat: 220x5x3
    Press: 110x5x2, 4, 3
    Power Clean: 120x3x5

Cardio: 3.2 miles @ 60 minutes

Overall the entire workout was good. I missed press by 1 rep so I pushed out 3 more after a bit of rest. As a second fail, I should technically reset it, but I'm going to hit this one more time. Definitely at 2.5 lb increments going forward. If I fail, even by just 1 rep, I will reset, probably to about 95 and work up more slowly. Everything else was good, and I'm looking forward to 225 squat and 135 bench on Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by abg View Post
    Wednesday, December 5, 2018
    Squat: 220x5x3
    Press: 110x5x2, 4, 3
    Power Clean: 120x3x5

Cardio: 3.2 miles @ 60 minutes

Overall the entire workout was good. I missed press by 1 rep so I pushed out 3 more after a bit of rest. As a second fail, I should technically reset it, but I'm going to hit this one more time.

Book says after 3rd failed attempt then reset.
    Either way, do as you feel is best, if you still feel like you're an uncontrollable angry beast then no need to reset.
    If you're tired, sore, and lacking motivation, then reset.

Saturday, December 8, 2018
    Squat: 225x5x3
    Bench: 135x5x3
    Deadlift: 240x5

Cardio: 3.3 miles @ 60 mins

I missed yesterday due to life, but put in the session this morning. Squat was tougher than I was expecting, but even a couple of the warm-up sets felt harder than normal (same warm-up sets from 220). I am thinking that I may not have waited quite long enough after breakfast for the carbs to kick in. Hard as it was, I got all 3 sets of 5. I'll be going to 230 on Monday, but watching to see if I need to drop this to 2.5 lb increases. Bench went well. While the weight wasn't light, I thought the actual working sets were pretty solid, and even did an extra rep in there, though I can't recall why. Going to continue going up by 5 while I can. Deadlift was good, but hard.

Cardio - this is my best rate yet, so excited about that.

Awesome.
    I.just got back from my morning walk, and saw your post.

Monday, December 10, 2018
    Squat: 230x5x3
    Press: 110x5,4,5,4
    Power Clean: 125x3x5

No cardio today

BW: 318 (-0.6)
    Waist: 54"

Squats were good, though each set had 1 rep that felt like it stalled partway up and I got to grind it the rest of the way. I say felt like, because it was probably still moving, just very slowly. I got all reps, though, so that's great. Press.....I'm not 100% sure what to say on this. In hind sight I want to say I probably could have got the last rep on set 2 if I pushed harder, but 110 has been hitting me pretty hard for 3 sessions. I am going to drop it to 95 and work back up by 2.5lb increments. This should solidify the adaptation at this range, and hopefully push through 110 when I get here again. Power cleans are fun, and working pretty well still. I do rack some reps better than others, but I rack them or they don't count. I can see this getting to 2.5lb increases soon.

Regarding body weight - 318 was frustrating. I have been low 316 for the past 2 days, and have been spot on on my diet. Weekly average was 2267 calories, 209g protein (pushing for 230ish, so a bit low), 190g carbs, and 73g fat. I really was expecting 316 or even 315 range, so 318 was frustrating. Waist seems to agree with "staying about the same." I did order a new scale, which I've been thinking about for a while. Ours is old (my stored age in it is 28 ), and not very consistent. I can shift the weight up or down depending on leaning slightly forward or backward (tile floor), and while sometimes it shows the same 3-4 times in a row, other times it will vary by 1-2 lbs. I realize even a less-than-accurate scale is accurate enough to show decrease over time, but I would like some consistency. Anyway, going to keep trucking along.

Speaking of 2300 calorie target, and grinding reps as well as press performance, I have been thinking about the fact that I am going to hit some sort of wall here at some point being on a calorie deficit. I realize I have brought plenty of energy stores, but it seems like there will still be that point of failure. I need to post over in programming and get some advice for when that happens. I figure I can transition to an intermediate program incrementally, but part of me is curious as well when I get to a more ideal weight if there will be more NLP to squeeze out. I've even thought I might just continue doing the NLP and continuously resetting and ramping.

Anyway, that's food for thought on what may happen in the (relatively near) future. Until it does, I am going to keep on pushing forward.

Keep your protein up.
    Have a protein shake before bed, to keep protein synthesis going while you're asleep.
    You're doing great.

My calories fluctuate between 1700 calories and 2100 calories but I always make sure I hit my protein intake. No issues at all on that.
    I'm not losing weight and my waist isn't getting smaller so I guess my calorie requirements are below average.

Wednesday, December 12, 2018
    Squat: 235x5x3
    Bench: 140x5x3
    Deadlift: 245x5

Cardio: 3.04 miles @ 60 minutes.

Overall lifts were good. I was surprised that squat did not have any grind sets. 235 wasn't easy, but seemed to go a lot smoother than 230. I do think I'm descending a bit too quickly and will work on that. Otherwise, these felt and were good. Bench is good. 140 isn't too bad, and I could have easily done a few more reps at the end of set 3. Deadlift weight itself doesn't feel to bad, but my grip sucks. It always has, and while it does and will continue to improve, it sucks, which made this feel tougher than it should have. Going up on all 3 lifts.

Cardio was pretty casual pace, but was solid.

I got a new scale in today. Cheap thing ($20) that had decent reviews, and is only a scale. It doesn't do impedance tests to estimate body fat and doesn't store weight. You step on it, it shows a weight, though it is still digital. What I find interesting is that I got it and weight myself immediately after opening it, which was immediately after lunch. I tried it out multiple times, and my old scale multiple times. The new scale didn't vary as much as the old one did (old one varied within a 1-2 lb range, new one varied by .2 lbs). On the new scale I also weight 4-5 lbs less than the old scale.

I thought this was interesting, and wanted to know which one was off, since they obviously were different. So, I grabbed a 25 lb plate and tested it on both of them. Both showed exactly 25.0 lbs. This was the last thing I was expecting - from the scales and from the cheapo plate (expected some variation). It should be noted that the plate can lie flat on the new scale, but NOT on the old scale, which has a small bump in the middle. Probably not a big thing, but I do know that scale is particularly susceptible to shifting weight one direction or another.

Anyway, since both scales showed 25.0 lbs for the 25 lb plate, but varied by 4 lbs when I stood on them, I can only think of the following conclusions (which aren't mutually exclusive):
    1) Something about the old scale causes me to stand on it differently and inconsistently. As mentioned, it has some shape to it, while the new scale is just flat.
    2) The components that measure the weight on the digital scale are wearing out on the old scale and not as accurate. (It's about 13 years old.)
    3) One or both scales lose accuracy as the weight increases, resulting in accurate reading at 25 lbs, but inaccurate at 300+.

I'm expecting to switch to the new scale this Monday, so if there's a big drop in weight then, it's probably just the scale change. Though, hopefully some of it is real.

Friday, December 14, 2018
    Squat: 240x5, 4, 5, 2
    Press: 95x5x3
    Power Clean: 130x3x5

I missed a rep on set 2 of squats because I missed the rebound/bounce at the bottom. Not sure what was up there, and when I tried from a dead stop at the bottom, I just didn't have that last rep in me. I got the volume in, but not within the scheme, so going for 240 again on Monday. Press was bad, which makes sense given the reset to 95 (from 110). Power clean felt good.

Monday, December 17, 2018
    Squat: 240x5x3
    Bench: 145x5x3
    Deadlift: 255x5x1

Cardio: 3.07 miles @ 60 minutes.

BW: 311.6 (-3.2 lb)
    Waist: 53.5"

All in all, this was a good workout. Squats got in my head because I missed last time and the weight is getting heavier. Getting under the bar and doing them, I could tell that I definitely had some adaptation to the weight since last time. It wasn't easy, but it didn't feel like I was going to fail, which is good. Bench weight is starting to get heavier, but I have to admit the part I feel shakiest with is getting the bar out of the rack. Once it's in position, it goes down and back up decently. Deadlift I went back to 10lb increments. I should hit 300lbs (limit on the plates I can add) by 1/9, and should already have additional plates on order by then. So, hopefully there is no hold up, and I can keep going by 10s for a bit longer. 255 felt pretty solid today.

I sucked at doing cardio last week, only making it one day, so it's good to be hitting it Monday already. I only have 2.5 more days of work left this week, so I expect I'll get plenty of opportunity to go for the walk.

Body weight is down pretty significantly, which is great. 311.6 is from the new scale, but the -3.2 is based on the old scale weight. I'll be using the new scale going forward. I actually found the manual for the old scale this weekend, and it turns out the limit on it is 330lbs. I know I've had a > 330 readout on it, but based on my experience w/ the 25lb plate and that it is consistently 3-4lbs higher for me, I think that I am so close to the upper limit of the scale that it is failing to read as accurately. It's also possible that using it regularly at this end has lead to this inaccuracy overtime as I have stressed the system. Anyway, seeing this gave me more confidence in the new scale, so going to use that going forward.

Waist is down from 54", but it may be somewhere between 53.5 and 54. I'm not the best at measuring, so this is a best effort, and 53.5" is what I got.

------------
    Recorded my squats and deadlifts from this session. Below are the links to think on Google. If this format sucks, let me know, and I can move to Youtube, but this was easier up front.
    Squat Set 1
    Squat Set 2
    Squat Set 3
    Deadlift
    Last edited by Adam Gottstein; 12-19-2018 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Added video links

starting strength coach development program
    Wednesday, December 19, 2018
    Squat: 240x5x3
    Press: 97.5x5x3
    Power Clean: 135x3x5

I posted in the nutrition board, and among the recommendations was to hold my squat and get my deadlift up (currently at 255). With this in mind, I will be repeating 240 for a couple weeks until I get deadlift up to 295, which will be 1/4. The following Monday, I'll be back to adding weight to the bar on squats. For this session, squat was harder than I expected, but I did have a rep come to a dead stop at the bottom (last rep of set 2), and I was able to get it up, so that's a win.

Press is good. 97.5 is light enough to not be too challenging, but heavy enough that I feel like I can tell the smaller increments will help me get to and through 110. Power clean is getting hard. It doesn't help that I've been using 10lb bumpers + other plates up to now. At 135 I'm using 45lb plates, and the cheap ones I got with my current weight set are smaller diameter than the bumpers by 1-2 inches. Heavier weight + slightly lower start position made this a challenge. I'm going to start increasing by 2.5lb increments going forward.

Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast