starting strength gym
Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast

Thread: My Starting Strength log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Weight down almost 30 lbs since first entry, and squat weight up 205.

Waist down half a foot, dude.

You're killing it. I'm excited to see what you can accomplish as you stick through this long term!

I know I'm pretty excited with the progress I made and look forward to more. Can't really say why I've been eating poorly lately, but glad to be refocused and working my way back down. Don't think deadlifts are happening today as it'll be another 3 hours or so before I'm back home. Will try and get them in tomorrow. It may impact Friday rows and cleans, but it'll work out.

Wednesday, April 18, 2019
    Deadlift: 340x3, 305x3

Got my deadlifts in today, which was good. Doing just deads felt a bit weird concept-wise, but the pulls actually felt really solid. I am curious what the impact to tomorrow's lifts will be. Hopefully not noticeable at my current weights, as I want to progress those as well.

Friday, April 19, 2019
    Squat: 255x5x3
    Press: 132.5x5, 4, 5
    Rows: 175x5x3
    Power Cleans: 150x5x3

In spite of the missed press rep, this was a good workout. Squats felt really solid. I used the more narrow grip, and overall I feel it is better on my elbow, and will be more so when I get my wrists straighter. It definitely feels a lot more solid. I'll get some video on Monday. Press was tough today, but overall solid. 2nd set I think I spent too much time between reps, and rep 5 just didn't go up. 3rd set went up pretty smoothly. I'm going to repeat it next press workout to solidify it.

Rows were good, but I think I'm at the end of going up by 5s. Starting next Wed, I will go up by 2.5lb increments. Power cleans had a couple of sketchy reps, but overall was good. I will go up next time, but if I have more reps like today, I'll repeat to get things a bit more certain at that weight.

Monday, April 22, 2019
    Squat: 260x5, 4, 6
    Bench: 192.5x5x3
    Deadlift: 345x3, 310x3

Today was an odd day. I felt tired going into the workout, wanted to do it, but kinda didn't. Squats were overall challenging. Far more than I expected them to be. The 5/4/6 on the reps is because I sucked at counting on set 2. I wasn't sure between 4 and 5, and convinced myself it was 5. Watched the video, saw 4, picked up the rep on the next set.

Bench was the big awesome of today. Not only did all of the reps go, but this felt really solid. I felt like 195 was probably doable today. Hopefully that doesn't mean I'll suck on Friday when I actually have 195 programmed.

Deadlifts weren't bad. I have conceded that I may never have great looking form on these, or possibly not until I lose a fair bit more weight. That said, I don't feel like my back really goes into flexion during the reps, so that is a plus, and the reps themselves weren't too bad at all. I need to stop exhaling at the top and just bring it back down when I want to breath. I also need to stop moving forward a bit when I bring the bar down as that is part of the forward-roll that is happening.

Regardless of what I put last week, this past week was crap for diet. Good news is, I ate in surplus. Bad news is it was a lot of fast food due to schedules. I didn't do as bad as I would have done back in September before I started, but it wasn't good. Weight is up a bit this week, but I am back at it and will have that weight either back to 297 or lower next week.

Wednesday, April 24, 2019
    Squat: 210x5x2
    Press: 132.5x5x3
    Rows: 177.5x5x3
    Power Cleans: 152.5x3x3

Got a really late start today, and motivation was mixed. I really wanted to lift, but wanted to be done already . Overall, hit all my lifts, so it was pretty decent. Light squat day, and somewhat time restricted, so I only did 2 sets. Press was a repeat of last time since I missed a rep. It was difficult today, but got all 5 reps on each set, so moving on to 135. Rows were rows. They are at a challenging weight, but it's not too bad. Power cleans were pretty good. Last rep on sets 2 and 3 were a bit week, so I am going to rest a bit more between sets (I've been waiting 3-4 mins, since sets of 3).

What I like most about where I am with power cleans is that before (8 years ago), I'd get to 135-140, get stuck, reset, and repeat, always resetting around that 135-145 range. That also happened once this go around as well, and I was afraid it was going to continue to be the case. Now, 135 is my last warmup, and it feels "light/easy." I'm really excited about that. I may have resets again in the future (in fact, I expect it), but I'm not going to bounce around 135-145. I'm also excited about 135 press next Monday. It will be a PR for me as I feel just short of it 8 years ago when I did SS before.

Wednesday, May 1, 2019
    Squat: 210x5x3
    Bench: 192.5x5x3
    Deadlift: 345x3

I missed the last 2 workouts for no good reason at all. I was just off and distracted, but back at it now and focusing forward. It had effectively been a week since the last time I lifted, so was glad it was a light squat day. This was still tougher than it should have been, but worked and felt solid.

Bench is probably the lift I'm most proud of here. The very last rep was a grind, but the other 14 went up pretty smoothly and that is 9 days since I last benched (and did this weight), and 7 days since I last pressed at all. I expected a miss or 2 here, but it went up. 2 weeks to 200.

Getting last Monday's working weight again today was great, but honestly, I think I have the strength for more while form holds me back a bit, so not horribly surprised. I'm also thinking about pushing back to doing sets of 5. I don't think my issue with 3 vs. 5 is strength, but rather conditioning. I am so winded between reps and by the time I get 3 done it is a major obstacle. Because of this, I really want to get some conditioning going. I am going to start back up with the walking, which pretty much disappeared since the beginning of the year. However, since that doesn't give me the intensity intervals, I'm thinking of sucking up my pride and self-consciousness and going to the community clubhouse (decent gym there) and using their rower. No clue what type it is, but figure it's a bit more easily trainable.

I use a Concept 2 rower.
    If they have that, it is worth knowing there is a damper setting on the side of the fan from 1 to 10.
    I use 10 for a 500m sprint. For lower intensity cardio probably use 5.

I have no clue what they have, but your comment got me looking at what the damper setting is for. Good information to know in case they do have a c2 style rower.

starting strength coach development program
    Ok, so I made it to the clubhouse gym and they do indeed have a c2 rower. Just 1. And it was in use. So, I waited off to the side and waited/watched for her to complete in a completely non-creepy non-lecherous way. I was back over there before she got it cleaned off. No way I was letting someone else in.

First time doing this, I decided to start w/ the damper a 5 to try it out, and quickly moved it to 10. Not sure what it would be like, I overdid it for the first 3-4 minutes and was pretty well exhausted, but no way I could stop at under 5 minutes. So, I more intelligently started into intervals. I did 1 minute @ 2-2:30/500m, and then 2 minutes slower. I sucked at it, but intervals made it better. I did that until just after 14:00 minutes. I realized at this point that I was really feeling it and need to lift tomorrow, so called it.

Overall I liked it. I don't like the thought of having to wait for the one rower to be available, but hopefully lack of quantity implies low use. My only complaint is that sometimes the tension wasn't back on the chain/chain fully drawn back by the time I started my next pull. It wasn't the end of the world, but did make some pulls feel different than others.

For those that do c2 rowing, how do you program it? Since I'm doing it for conditioning, I figure intervals are best. If you do intervals, what intervals do you do? 30/60, 60/90(or 120) or something different? Do you do the rowing when you lift, or on off days? Do you find it impacts your lifting if you lift the next day?

Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast