starting strength gym
Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast

Thread: My Starting Strength log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    On my workout days I only do a 500m row as a finisher, at the end of the workout. It really gets the heart going if you make it an absolute sprint. You certainly get an after burn effect even with 500m if performed as a sprint.
    On non-workout days, I either do a 2000m row or 4 x 500m row at higher intensity.

You really don't need to do much, just get the heart pumping and it will stay elevated for quite a while.

You can program a workout for time or distance.
    I can tell you next time I'm in front of it.

Friday, May 3, 2019

Squat: 260x5, 1, 1

Today started out good and turned to crap fast. Squat warmups were harder than than it should have been, but not too bad. First set of 260, not too bad. I got to the 2nd set, did the first rep no problem, 2nd rep I ended up too far forward and pushed forward. I have no clue what happened, though know what must have happened. This was so weird and I haven't been forward on the feet this bad in a LONG time. Anyway, I was lifting out of the rack and pushed forward against the uprights without any pins and the bar riding up (or down at that point) my neck. I got stability but was in no position to get the weight back up, so I had to bail it back behind me. So, I had 260 lbs roll up my neck a bit, then down my back and onto the floor. I was determined not to let this beat me, so I got everything set back up in the rack (inside now, so pins if needed). I did my first rep, but it felt pretty off, so I racked it and called it. I think I am going to drop it back to 245 on Monday and push it back up. This will set me back 3 workouts to get back to 260, but hopefully it will help me not get in my head about this stupid bail.

I went on to presses and about 115 just felt off and way harder than it should be. Maybe I'm being lame, but so be it. So, I called the workout at this point. Here's hoping I'm not sore from this tomorrow.

Intelligent.
    There is always tomorrow, as opposed to 6 months if you injure yourself.

Thanks pb. I think I was the smart move, too. Walking flat surface I felt fine, but a trip up and down the stairs and I could feel it was just off. Feel much better today. Neck is a bit sore as is a couple spots on my back (not guaranteed related), but otherwise doing good. As mentioned, going to reset to 245 to keep this from becoming a boogie man of sorts. Be back at 260 in 2 weeks.

Concept 2 Rower Instructions
    1) Press Menu Button
    2) Press Select Workout
    3) Press New Workout
    4) Choose one of the options - Single Distance, etc
    5) Assuming you chose single distance then just change the distance to whatever you want.

Monday, May 6, 2019
    Squat: 245x5x3
    Press: 132.5x5x2, 3
    Rows: 177.5x5x3
    Power Cleans: 152.5x3x3

Squat was solid and good today. No falling forward, and was inside the rack to be safe . I actually was in my head a bit, so glad I dropped it back to 245. It also works well with not having squatted heavy for 2 weeks.

It's been 12 days since I last did presses (besides 95lb warmups on Friday before calling it), but I was determined to do 132.5 again, so I did. I probably gave up a little too easily on the last set and could have got another rep, but it was definitely not moving easily. I will repeat on Friday, get it again, and get to 135 next Wednesday.

Rows and power cleans were good. For the cleans, 2nd and 3rd set were actually better than first, which was a pleasant surprise.

positronbomb - Thanks for the instructions. It'll help next time I go to use the rower. I lift at home, and have to get myself to drive to the clubhouse (5 mins away), possibly wait for availability, and then use it. When I use it, I'll probably push for 15 mins of intervals, and either work from 1 min intense, 2 mins steady to 1:1, and then see about ramping up the total time. First step is going back, though.

Haven't posted weight/waist in a while, mainly because I haven't been proud of it. I've already mentioned how I got out of whack with my diet, and it's taken longer to get back on than I was planning. Anyway, I'm posting it here again and will have it weekly again for accountability (mainly to myself, but making it real by making it public.)

BW: 296.7#
    Waist: 49"

My baseline over the past 6-8 weeks has been about 297-300, so this is working its way down from that. Waist has crept down to 49" over the past ~5 weeks as well which is good. It's also been noticeable as I can get a notch smaller on the belt.

Bummer on the minor stall; still looking for that 135 to come up soon.

Great news on the waistline drop!

Keep chuggin' man.

Wednesday, May 8, 2019
    Squat: 200x5x3
    Bench: 192.5x5x3
    DL: -

Today was a tough day. Squats, for example, was really hard, or at least waaaay harder than they really should have been. There was never a question of missing reps, but each rep was harder than I expected/wanted. But, they got done, so that's a win.

Bench was the really big win of the day. Coming off of squats, I really thought 192.5 was not going to happen. First set was tougher than I expected, but not bad. However, 2nd and 3rd set felt great. I think it's because my form/back tightness was just super solid and form overall pretty good, but whatever it was, these went up really well.

Deadlift didn't happen. I went through all of my warmups without any issue, got to 345 and it barely moved off the floor. I tried a few times, and got the same result. I have no clue what happened here, but it didn't go up and that sucks. I am probably going to try again on 5/9 (Thursday), thinking that just deads will help.

starting strength coach development program
    I did get some deads in today (5/9). Got up to 2@345 without a belt. It wasn't that great at only 2 reps, but should be enough to drive Monday's deads.

Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast