starting strength gym

Thread: Jay's Training Log

Default Jay's Training Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I found this website and thought it would be a good idea to start tracking my progress to hold myself accountable. I have maintained a decent level of physical activity over the years including wrestling at a division 1 university. At this point, I would like to put more muscle back on and shed a small amount of fat. I am going to attempt to post my workout routine along with my food consumption. I am looking at possibly a three day a week total body plan with two or three days of running. I have been running a lot over the past year to include a couple half marathons and one full marathon. These have really destroyed my strength and I feel like I am getting a lot of small nagging injuries from the heavy run volume. Look forward to the community...

36 years old
    5'11
    188lbs

10/29/2018

Strength:

Bench: 4x8x135lbs
    Barbell Row: 4x8x65lbs
    Squats: 4x8x135lbs
    Barbell Front Raise: 4x8x65lbs
    Barbell Curls 4x8x65lbs
    Abs: Left Raises 2x25

I have not lifted much over the past few months so I went light. I have to walk at my job and didn't want to hurt

Welcome Jay! I was in a similar position as you starting out. Ran recreationally mainly to manage weight, but would do a couple of events like 10Ks and 1/2 marathons each year. Got tired of the minor but nagging pains and realized I needed some strength training. I came upon Starting Strength while shopping for a book to get me started.

If you haven't already, get Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training 3rd Edition.

Have you considered cutting down on running and just focusing on a few months of running the Starting Strength Linear Progression? I think a major lesson is that the most efficient exercises for gaining strength are the squat, press, bench press and deadlift. Focus on these, and the other exercises aren't necessary. Running will inhibit your recovery and slow your strength gains. As a D-1 wrestler, I imagine you have the DNA to see great results by focusing on strength.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Barry View Post
    Welcome Jay! I was in a similar position as you starting out. Ran recreationally mainly to manage weight, but would do a couple of events like 10Ks and 1/2 marathons each year. Got tired of the minor but nagging pains and realized I needed some strength training. I came upon Starting Strength while shopping for a book to get me started.

If you haven't already, get Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training 3rd Edition.

Have you considered cutting down on running and just focusing on a few months of running the Starting Strength Linear Progression? I think a major lesson is that the most efficient exercises for gaining strength are the squat, press, bench press and deadlift. Focus on these, and the other exercises aren't necessary. Running will inhibit your recovery and slow your strength gains. As a D-1 wrestler, I imagine you have the DNA to see great results by focusing on strength.

Good luck!

Mike thanks for the advise. I will check that book out. If it is anything like the advise on this forum then it will be worthwhile.

10/31/2018

Deadlift: 4x8x135lbs
    Seated Barbell Press: 4x8x95 (failed on rep 5 on last set)
    Leg RDL: 4x8x95
    KB lat pulls 4x8 on each arm
    Tri extension 4x15
    Abs: 50 abmat

I felt good on the deadlift and will be able to add some weight soon on that lift. My legs were sore from Mondays squats. I am hopeful that will pass in a few weeks when I adjust back to lifting. I was good on the diet until after the kids brought their halloween candy home and I invaded that.

11/02/2018

Front Squats: 4x8x95lbs
    Incline Press: 4x8x95lbs
    Row: 4x8x70lbs
    Hang clean: 4x5x135lbs
    Abs: 2x25 Leg Raise

I felt well. I focused on having one minute rests. I was really sore from the previous two days this week but was able to stretch out well enough to get the lifts in.

Read through this to get you started on the program.
    Starting Strength Training Programs

I recommend very strongly that you follow the program until you finish novice progression. I'm surprised your weights are so low given your background in wrestling. Get the books and follow the program. Even better go see an SS coach at least for a few sessions so you can avoid injury and actually do the program. Cut out the extra lifts beyond the basic four. Stop running for a few weeks. Eat 3500 calories a day until you reach at least 200 lbs. Consume 200 grams of protein per day.

After you get some strength then do the other things. It will only take you a few months. The manly weights for a young man like yourself should be as follows by the end of novice progression, Deadlift 405, Squat 315, Bench 215, and overhead press 150.

In short: Find and SS coach and do what he or she says. Read the books and follow them. Gain some muscle strength and weight.

starting strength coach development program
    My friend Karl Schudt just published a video designed just for you. Learning How To Lift Heavy Weights with Mental Toughness | Barbell Logic