starting strength gym
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nobody's log

Default Nobody's log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    The name is Lorenzo, 42 years of mostly laziness and beer enjoyment, about 179cm and 109.9kg.

I used to do tons of sport in my younger years, then work happened and I put it all aside; eventually health issues hinted that I should do something to get my arse into gear, having turned into a fat slob and finding myself having a very physical job (bouncer) I decided that maybe was the case of getting some training.

Before weight lifting, in the last 4/5 years, I've tried it pretty much all, running, cycling, all sort of cardio, HIIT, bodyweight and I'm sure I've forgotten some, cardio just bores me to tears, bodyweight exercises can be fun if done with a solid idea of how to progress with callisthenics, I didn't have it, got bored, so I quit the gym once more.

I didn't get into weight lifting for many reasons, in good part because I don't like the meat heads I know, eventually I thought I'd give it a try and found Stronglift 5x5, while researching them I've come across Starting Strenght as well but, well, they sold it better. I have now trained for 6 months and ended up doing a couple of heavy deloads, working 2 jobs and lacking proper sleep I was struggling to push, still, I went from empty barbells to a 80x5 squat, pulling a single 140 on a cheat day when I got curious about how much I could push, 50x5 bench press, 60x5 pendlay rows, 45x5 press and 90x5 deadlift, on the side I've chucked some dips and chinups, can't do a single bodyweight and have to use assistance, started from the maximum offered by the machine (75.3kg) and removed 2.3kg per session until I've got to 50kg assisted.

That last bit is actually the last push that made me move away from that program, the app offers the ability to add dips and chinups on the side, however, places chinups right after deadlift without break, says don't rest and move from one to the other, as the weights go up it's a flipping struggle, doesn't make sense to me, in the while I have researched Starting Strength a lot more, watched countless videos from Mark and other SS trainers (Train Untamed!), so, well, I've come over.

I've got training logs elsewhere, I'm on Fitocracy and strengthlevel.com, trying to decide which one I like most, for the time being doesn't hurt using both, on top, I thought that creating a log here as well might get me some actual feedbacks or get a conversation started.

Will add some additional stuff as I go along, for the time being, here is today's log, I've picked starting weight as suggested in the app, for the squat I have started from the empty barbell and went up in 5kg steps, 20 start and 2.5 steps for the press 40 start with 5 steps for deadlifts. I have ordered the book as well and will start going through it as soon as it arrives, for the moment I'm going through the content available in the app.

Today, Monday, the 26th of November 2018

Squat: 45 kg
    Press: 27.5 kg
    Deadlift: 50 kg
    Last edited by Lorenzo de Gregori; 11-30-2018 at 05:52 AM.

It's probably wise to start conservatively as you have done. Still you may wish to check out SSOC Starting Strength Online Coaching. People have had great success with that.

Best wishes.

Funny enough, I'm a bit OCD and I wanted to start from scratch, down to the ground, then I thought that if I want to follow this program I need to trust it, so I've done that and found a suitable starting point based on the instructions.

I'll give a pass to the online coaching though, unfortunately too expensive for me, thanks for the suggestion though.

From what you wrote you desire to lose weight. Check out the nutrition section of this forum for ideas. At 5' 9" and 240 lbs. It may be good to lose a little. My friend Karl Schudt can be most helpful in that regard. Check it out. How many grams of protein do you consume per day. The standard is 1 gram for each lb. if you wish to gain strength. Karl can advise you.

It's a mix, losing weight is probably down at the bottom, but it's a need all the same, being overweight comes with all kind of inconveniences, joint pain being a prime example, the easier solution to the problem is getting stronger and reduce the weight heaving on them, same for my back, I also suffer from sleep apnoea.

Overall my main desire is to improve the quality of my life, I miss the days when I used to do sport all the time, I was feeling full of energy; 6 months of training have already reduced the pain in my knees, now I get the odd annoying fit due to injuries, being an ex rugby player and a current biker comes with a price tag, still, my knees haven't felt this good in years, same with my back, it's a bit of a constant annoyance in the morning after I wake up and at night when I'm tired, overall though has got a whole lot better and my sleep apnoea has got better has well, the biggest help was quitting smoking though.

I don't count macros, I've taken the first step by going to the gym and sticking to it, I've then recently taken another good step as I stopped smoking, which as a result had me pick up the snacks, at first I've given myself free reins, now I'm in the process of reducing the sugary stuff and replacing it with more suitable alternatives, pork pies and nuts are taking over my daily consumption of Kinder Bueno, I don't plan on doing anything more drastic in the short term though, let me focus on no smoking and I'll get back to altering my diet some time down the line when I'm not cheating any more with the odd social fag.

Keep in mind that I'm not that interested in it though, by getting the exercise I've already built up mass at the expense of fat, I simply need to carry on with the program and the increased training will burn more energy and slowly working on my snack should do the rest, I already have a good diet, I cook everything fresh and is well balanced, I am presently not interested in counting the macros, I'll deal with it only if and when it becomes a concern, whereas exercise is very much a present concern, priorities.

I might call myself a fat cunt, doesn't mean that worries me that much, it's just a defining trait and I hide it well anyway

I have still made a note of the suggestion though, should I ever need, thanks mate.

36199857_10160926520100157_4034454753286029312_n.jpg

PS. I'm not 5'9'', I'm closer to 5'11'', it's Google that turns 179 into 5.9, notice the decimal place, that's not 5 feet and 9 inches, that is 5 point 9 feet.
    The other measure is correct.
    Last edited by Lorenzo de Gregori; 11-26-2018 at 06:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorenzo View Post
    Funny enough, I'm a bit OCD and I wanted to start from scratch, down to the ground, then I thought that if I want to follow this program I need to trust it.
    Excellent to hear. I look forward to seeing your strength and bodyfat sort themselves out as you get strong!

I'd love to do SSOC but I'm with you on that front as well, entirely too expensive for my 2019 budget.

Happy training!

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Bischoff View Post
    Excellent to hear. I look forward to seeing your strength and bodyfat sort themselves out as you get strong!

I'd love to do SSOC but I'm with you on that front as well, entirely too expensive for my 2019 budget.

Happy training!
    Cheers mate!

This was quick, I've ordered the book Friday and it has arrived today, taking my lunch to get started on it.

It's excellent.

starting strength coach development program
    Day 2

Squat: 50 kg x5x3
    20x5x2 30x5 35x3 45x2

Bench Press: 32.5 kg x5x3
    20x5 25x5 27.5x5 30x5

Deadlift: 55 kg x5
    40x5x2 45x5 50x3 55x2

In case I haven't mentioned it, I love squats, by far my favourite exercise so far.

On with the program, more squats and deadlift which I've done according to the app, it's a lot more warmup than I'm used to, for the 50 kg squat I would have done 20x5x2 and a single 35x3, here I've got a few reps more, on the other hand I've drop from 5x5 to 3x5, so the overall reps are actually less, still tired, different tired though, I think it's mostly due to deadlifts, before for 55kg I would have loaded the barbell and done it, now I've got several warm up sets before and it's good, gives me a chance to practice, I'm liking it.

First time on the bench with the program, so I've started from 20 and worked my way up, 22.5 missing is not a typo, I knew that the starting weight was going to be around 32/35 so I've decided to skip one to avoid being there all day, I'm happy with waiting 3 minutes between sets as the app suggests, however, waiting 90 seconds in between warmup drives me nuts, I was used to give myself no break in between warmups, do one, find the weights, load the barbell, do the next, then do only a single break between warmup and work sets, and in between working sets obviously, feeling restless there, but will have to get used to it; mind me, I'm going to search forum and read the book in the hope of finding any reference for cutting the warmups break short, when and if I find it will be changed, until then, instructions first.

Started with the book and I'm loving it so far, painfully detailed, perfect fit for a nerd like me, I always used to be the one going through the instruction manual of any game, my mates used to just plough through the game and come find me when they got stuck, well, this is the instruction manual to my program, fantastic, and sure wouldn't mind helping out my friends with this, found most fascinating the whole explanation on why the squat is good for the knees, diagrams and the whole lot, now I can finally explain to my mates why knees are feeling a lot better since I started squatting. Apparently I'm not deep squatting either, works out it's them doing a half.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast