Wed 12/19

Squat: 170x5x3
    Press: 90x5x3
    Dead: 200x5

Fri 12/21

Squat: 175x5x3
    Bench: 135x5x3
    Dead: 205x5

The lifts felt pretty decent for the most part. I'm still figuring out how much warm up is sufficient. Diet and sleep have both been so-so. My weight this evening is showing 198. (Not sure about this digital scale we have. Might be off by a few pounds)
    Last edited by Vinnie; 12-26-2018 at 05:10 PM.

Nice work Vinnie!

Quote Originally Posted by hondotbt View Post
    Nice work Vinnie!
    Thanks BT. In this early stage of NLP, I'm concerned about my ability to put on body weight as well as how committed I am to actually doing that. I'm an "average" eater and my BW has been around 185-190 lbs for a long time. My wife doesn't like the idea of me getting much more of a gut than I have right now. I'm thinking my LP will stall because of diet and a general paranoia of becoming fat, LOL. ( I totally understand the logic behind mass moving mass) I'ts hard to imagine weighing 220 or more or eating 3500-4000 calories a day to reach some arbitrary strength goal. I guess I have to clarify my thinking on why I'm interested in this particular type of training. I'm interested in utilitarian strength, that's for sure. Don't want atrophy to take over either, LOL.
    Last edited by Vinnie; 12-26-2018 at 09:01 PM.

Seeing the steady progress on your numbers is a great reward. I also struggle with balance between adding BW and getting too soft around the middle, so I fully understand where you're at on that. As far as the warm up goes, this Nikki Sims article addresses it very well. Keep up the solid work.

Seeing the steady progress on your numbers is a great reward. I also struggle with balance between adding BW and getting too soft around the middle, so I fully understand where you're at on that. As far as the warm up goes, this Nikki Sims article addresses it very well. Keep up the solid work.
    Thanks BT. Good article by Ms. Sims. Regarding the waistline, my wife is not going to like me adding much to it, no matter how strong I get. I really have to balance my strength goals with the aesthetics of my appearance. I may have to transition to more of a bodybuilding routine. I know that's not the SS model, but hey, I'm married 25 yrs and she is very good to me. Happy wife, happy life! LOL. We'll see how it goes.

Progress through today:

Week 6

Mon 12/24

Squat- 180x5x3
    Press- 95x5x3
    Dead_ 210x5

Wed 12/26

Squat- 185x5x3
    Bench- 140x5x3
    Dead-215x5

Friday 12/28

Squat-190x5x3
    Press- 100x5x3
    Dead-220x5

your numbers and progress look great, keep up the good work!

your numbers and progress look great, keep up the good work!
    Thanks BT. Feel like I'm about to hit a wall soon, LOL

Week 7 Progression

Mon 12/31

Squat- 195x5x3
    Bench- 140x5x3
    Dead- 225x5

Wed 01/02

Squat- 200x5x3
    Press- 105x5x3
    Dead- 230x5

Fri 01/04

Squat- 205x5x3
    Bench- 145x5x3
    Dead- 235x5

My problematic shoulders are flaring up. Presses are becoming challenging even though my bench number indicates "weak AF" at this stage. It's hard to imagine getting the bench to 200 or more ( then again, I've never done this lift before except for lighter dumbbells) Might have to start using fractional plates. Does using them this early make me a pussy (even at 58)? LOL! Either way, I feel like my shoulders may hinder progress at some point. (wait -and-see mode)

I wasn't "Grateful" for the Dead this morning. It took a few extra seconds between pulls and my hands felt a bit torn up at the finish of the work set. I've got a bad callous formed below my left ring finger that felt like it wanted to rip off. UGH! I have to admit these pulls were a bit taxing. 3rd set on the squat was a bit rough too, but I'm going parallel (no pussy half-squats) I think I'm developing recovery issues as I enter into the 8th week of NLP. I am happy to be getting stronger though.
    Last edited by Vinnie; 01-04-2019 at 12:53 PM.

Looks good. 8 to 12 weeks is enough over 40, it's ok to do nothing for two weeks after a cycle.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie View Post
    Presses are becoming challenging even though my bench number indicates "weak AF" at this stage.
    Sorry, but I disagree, looking at where you started and where you are now and taking age into consideration looks like a normal novice LP.

Might have to start using fractional plates. Does using them this early make me a pussy (even at 58)? LOL!
    Nope, it just makes you normal and smart.

I think I'm developing recovery issues as I enter into the 8th week of NLP. I am happy to be getting stronger though.
    Make sure to get adequate rest between sets. I'm happy to see you getting stronger too!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast