starting strength gym
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vinnie's SS Training Log

Default Vinnie's SS Training Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Age: 58 Height: 5' 11" ( I thought I was 6', but I've lost an inch to gravity over the years, LOL) Current Weight: 191 lbs.

I had no real barbell experience prior to starting the program on 11/12/18. I am in decent shape, but realize that in some respects, not very strong. I have some arthritis and posture issues, and also a problematic right foot and ankle from a very serious injury in 2009.(shattered calcaneus and fractured ankle joint) I skipped Thanksgiving week (family visits), so I'm actually in the middle of my 4th week of lifting. I figured that a reasonable way to update this log is weekly, so I'll try to update it by Friday or Saturday, showing the lifts for the week as well as any commentary on how I'm feeling and so forth. All my numbers represent pounds. Here is the first week:

11/12/18:

Squat: 105x5x3
    Bench: 95x5x3
    Dead: 155x5

11/14/18

Squat: 115x5x3
    Press: 65x5x3
    Dead: 165x5

11/16/18

Squat: 125x5x3
    Bench: 100x5x3
    Dead: 175x5

Week 2

11/26/18

Squat:120x5x3
    Press: 65x5x3
    Dead: 160x5

11/28/18

Squat: 125x5x3
    Bench: 110x5x3
    Dead: 165x5

11/30/18

Squat; 130x5x3
    Press: 70x5x3
    Dead:170x5

I skipped Thanksgiving week and got a bit de-trained

Week 3:

12/03/18

Squat: 135x5x3
    Bench: 115x5x3
    Dead: 170x5

12/05/18

Squat: 140x5x3
    Press: 75x5x3
    Dead: 175x5

12/07/18

Squat: 145x5x3
    Bench: 120x5x3
    Dead: 180x5

I'm settling in on adding 5 lbs. across all exercises each training session. I have micro-plates for when they'll be needed, probably sooner than later, LOL.
    Last edited by Vinnie; 12-12-2018 at 12:48 PM.

Looks like things are processing nicely.Keep up the good work.

Great work Vinnie, nice consistent application of the program as written. Keep it going!

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynJerry View Post
    Looks like things are processing nicely.Keep up the good work.
    Thanks Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by hondotbt View Post
    Great work Vinnie, nice consistent application of the program as written. Keep it going!
    Thanks BT. I hope I can keep progressing a little at a time without injury. I'll put this week's progress in the log on Friday, along with my assessment of potential challenges going forward. (I've got a few)

This week's progress:

12/10/18

Squat: 150x5x3
    Press: 80x5x3
    Dead: 185x5

12/12/18

Squat: 155x5x3
    Bench: 125x5x3
    Dead: 185x5 ( I forgot my notebook and thought I was at this weight. Repeated Monday's pull)

12/14/18

Squat: 160x5x3
    Press: 85x5x3
    Dead: 190x5

This ends my 4th week of SS. I think eating and sleeping enough are going to be challenges. I rarely get more than 6 or 7 hours of sleep. When I look at how I would have to eat to get to 190-200 grams of protein or 3500-4000 calories, I just perceive that as a real challenge. I know Rip says you've got to eat even when you don't want to. I'm trying to learn more about tracking macros and calories. We'll see how things progress in time. My waist is about 37-38" ( I like whisky, LOL) I know the goal is not to exceed 40". I'm going to have to introduce some cardio/conditioning (something I'm familiar with) to keep the gut in check. The lifts felt pretty good this week, overall.

If possible keep focused on lifting heavier and heavier weight progressively, there'll be time to get back to conditioning/cardio after LP. Protein powder is your friend in hitting the protein recommendation. Forget about waste measurements for a bit and look at the percentage gain that you've made in just 4 weeks. It's great work, stay with it. :-)
    Last edited by hondotbt; 12-14-2018 at 03:34 PM.

Welcome to the boards, Vinnie, and congrats on starting your strength training journey.

At 58, I would focus on waist not getting too busy g (40 sounds like a great limit), but do make the scale go up. If tracking macros is new to you, focus just on hitting calorie and protein goals, and just make sure it isn't 4000 calories of bacon. Once you get that down, focus on the carbs and fat will drop to where it should be. Tracking will also be important for knowing if 3500 is right for you, too much, or too little.

Keep up the great progress and hopefully you're seeing the benefits already.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by hondotbt View Post
    If possible keep focused on lifting heavier and heavier weight progressively, there'll be time to get back to conditioning/cardio after LP. Protein powder is your friend in hitting the protein recommendation. Forget about waste measurements for a bit and look at the percentage gain that you've made in just 4 weeks. It's great work, stay with it. :-)
    Thanks BT. Your advice seems to be what I've heard said often. I get paranoid about getting a big gut, LOL. My wife doesn't like that look on me! She's a nice, fit 115 lbs. Oh well....

I'm sold on the protein powder idea. I'm trying to find one that won't break the bank. I like NutriBio and am currently trying Nutricost (Both whey isolates. Very different prices). They both have very little additives from what I see. Still figuring the powders out, so to speak. Thanks for the encouragement bro!

Quote Originally Posted by abg View Post
    Welcome to the boards, Vinnie, and congrats on starting your strength training journey.

At 58, I would focus on waist not getting too busy g (40 sounds like a great limit), but do make the scale go up. If tracking macros is new to you, focus just on hitting calorie and protein goals, and just make sure it isn't 4000 calories of bacon. Once you get that down, focus on the carbs and fat will drop to where it should be. Tracking will also be important for knowing if 3500 is right for you, too much, or too little.

Keep up the great progress and hopefully you're seeing the benefits already.
    Thanks abg ! I love bacon! Don't we all? Haha . As for the scale, My weight hasn't really changed since I started. It fluctuates between 187-ish to 191-sih. I feel like I'm getting stronger, but I'm not really putting on weight. I guess it just takes time. I'm wondering if my appetite will increase as the lifts get heavier. Anyway, great tips and encouragement. I appreciate your interest.
    Last edited by Vinnie; 12-14-2018 at 09:52 PM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast