starting strength gym
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Ddtediejm's SS Training Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I was referring to your post on 12/18/2018....

Thank you sir. I feel that pain. Today I slapped down money for a Dominion Strenght Belt. I had a Rouge version, 4" job, but at the SS Seminar last week, Rip himself told me to "sell that thing on the internet" as my torso is too small for a 4" belt. She shook her head at me, but it is on order.

Today ended 15 weeks for me, and while it wasn't as grindy as Thursday's session, I am still feeling it. I may end up going to a one day on, two day off split if I feel this beat up next week.
    Squats: 3x5@240-didn't feel as heavy as 235 did, but I still feel as if I am not hitting depth. I am working on slowing my descent to spring up, but the "spring up" part isn't happening. Still messing around with it.
    Bench: 5, 4, 4, 2 at 195. I went to the squat rack in the gym to hit these today. First set went great, then I lost tightness on the last two sets, and made up the missing reps from those two in one more push. Again, not 100% sure I am rested enough. I waited for 5 min. between sets, and will start working towards 8 between. I hate sitting that long, but "marathon, not sprint" is the mentality I need.
    Deadlift:1x5@285. Still, need to work on getting that lower back tight in extension. I tried Coach Delgadillo's "stomach between the legs" cue today, but for some reason, my mind and body do not always want to cooperate with me.

I am one week away from 4 months in LP, and I think I can improve each week on squats and deadlifts, but think I may be at the end of LP for press and bench. I keep nagging away at it, as the Bluebook states you may be in a progression for several months, but I am pretty sure I will need to do some tweaking to keep it going.

Week 16 out of the chute early this morning. Grabbed the squat rack, as the gym floor was crowded as always, and I just felt like being away from the hustle today. No earth shattering PR's or anything to crow about, but decent training session.
    Squats:3x5@245: Still feel like I am not hitting depth. Working in the squat rack feels slightly different from the Rouge rack I usually grab, but I didn't feel as beat down as I did last week. Course, I am also coming off a 2 day break for the weekend, so I will keep tabs on this Thursday.
    Press:3x5@130: No stutters on this weight today, was a bit of a grinder past rep 3, but managed to get them all up. I think I wisely chose to rest 8 min. between working sets rather than my normal 5. Will give 135 a go on Saturday.
    Light Deadlifts: 2x5@240: Got this idea from Coach Delgadillo at the SS Seminar last week. He mentioned that guys who have trouble doing chins, he will prescribe some of these to help generate some gains. Plus, my deadlift needs a bit extra technique.

Midweek Training session is complete. I felt it went pretty good. Only choked on my last rep of Bench, so I will attempt a 5 pound move up next week. Did light squats today, and felt that my depth was on point-which is making me think I may need to come down in weight again, swallow my pride, and start working it back up. Lighter weights seem easy, once I get over 235, I start to fall apart in the bottom for some reason. Power Cleans also did not suck as bad as they had in the past, although I can still feel myself trying to reverse curl the weight every once in a while.
    Light Squats: 3x5@210
    Bench:2x5@195, 4@195, 1@195
    Power Clean:5x3@95

Week 16 comes to an end, and I don't think it was too terrible. I tried using a foam roller for a TUBOW drill, and I wasn't moving it at all, I still think my squat depth needs to go a tad bit deeper. Press, I hit a PR at 135, but only got it for 4 reps, then did two back off sets as I think I am beyond adding 5lbs to the bar with that or my bench anymore, and worked some light dead lifts as well as back extensions to try and get the chin ups going.
    Squat:3x5@250
    Press:4@135, 2x5@125
    Light DL:2x5@240
    Back Extensions: 3x10 @221 (BW) on rings.

That filled up one of the spreadsheets I downloaded offline somewhere at the start of my strength, journey. I start a new one comes on Tuesday. I am working the Advanced Novice from Barbell Perscription for the next set, keeping on with trying to run out the progression as long as I can.

Week 17 started today bright and early, with plenty of young Army Officers running around the gym doing various SHT type training. I was able to secure a spot and get in my fives. Broke a new PR on Bench today, as I did 200lbs for 5-4-3. Was trying to do 5's across, but didn't quite happen that way. But will use that as my starting point for the Bench Press competition that Post is sponsoring on Saturday morning. And...bonus, it is a training day, so I would be doing bench that day anyway. I just have to do it in the gym with the hex plates.

Squat: 3x5@255-These actually felt good this morning. I was grinding out the reps, but for the most part, I think I was hitting depth or pretty damn close with each one. I did go forward on my toes once, but definitely hope there in the squat realm.
    Bench; 5@200, 4@200, 3@200, 5@185. The first five went up fairly easy. Second set, the third rep I hit a j-hook on the Rogue frame I was using, and same with the second rep on my third set. I did rest 8 min. between sets on these, but still was not quite enough this week. I think soon though I will be pushing beyond the 200lb range.
    Back Extensions: 3x10@223( BW)
    Chin ups: 3, 3, 3-still suck at these. I did not use the resistance band today, trying to gage where I am. I have put on a couple of pounds since last week-but again, I am thinking this is more muscle than fat, as the pants still do not feel too tight.

So overall, good day of training.

Midweek session is in the books, and again, I think a pretty good session. I have started to incorporate "Light Squat Day" for the mid week, and think it is helping some.
    Lt. Squat: 3x5@230
    Press: 3 @140, 4@140, 2x5@125. Was really trying to get a set of 5 at this weight, but couldn't get it back up over my head. First set I think I was too loose, second set, I don't think I gave myself enough rest time. I went for 5 min rather than 8...I was running out of training time. So next week, I will stick to the one set of 5 at 140, with the intention that it is going to work.
    Deadlift:1x5@300. 300 went up fairly easy for me. I have been working on getting my back set better, as it gave me issues at the Seminar earlier this month. I also have been throwing in a "Light Deadlift" day in lieu of some back extensions. I think it is helping me with my pulls a bit better as well.

Wrapped up week 17 with a Bench competition at the hex plate gym on post. I was able to get in my Squats and Chins before and after, as well as work on the bench portion I needed too. I started light for the competition, 185, then jumped to 190...but for some reason I got greedy and tried for 225 for my final shot and choked on it. I was not the only lifter to attempt a big jump, as there were not too many who actually completed that third attempt. Lesson learned for next time I suppose.
    Squats: 3x5@260-didn't feel bad, and again, I think I hit depth for more than not.
    Bench: 2x5@185, 3@200-this was after the competition. Kind of went backward, as I wanted to get 200 first, then back off sets. Wasn't thinking as I racked the weight, and said "man, 200 is feeling pretty good" when I noticed during the second set that it was still only 185. Doh!
    Chin ups: Assisted on the machine, 3x10 @110 weight setting, Lat pulldowns:1x10@120, 1x10@125, 1x10@140.

Week 18 has begun, and I had to split up the routine again today due to time constraints. Boss is stressing about a new project we have going on, and I am not trying to add to it by showing up to late to my office.
    Squats:3x5@265: these are starting to feel pretty heavy, and depth is probably shaky on some. I seem to always get to around this point, and then have to step back to fix it. Not sure why I don't hit depth when I feel the weight on my back. I don't think I am missing depth every time, but they are not the best squats in the world.
    Press: 4@140, 1@140, 2x5@125. I thought I was going to complete 140 today and be able to move on, but that last rep just stuck about half way up. I racked the bar, shook it off, and put the last one up, but felt a bit shammed that it didn't go as planned. Will give it another go on Saturday.
    Power Cleans: 5x3@100: I am still keeping these light as I work out the form issues. I am doing a little better, but was rather rusty in warm ups. Still trying to reverse curl the bar at times. I had to come back for these, so did 10 min. on the rower to warm myself back up.

starting strength coach development program
    Midweek training is now a wrap. Another split day, as I woke up a little late this morning. Choked again on my bench, but so close to getting that magical 5th rep on those sets. I will hit it again next week, I am positive.
    Lt. Squats: 3x5@235-again, light squat day, I feel pretty good on depth and form. I think it helps me keep pushing it, as well as a nice break for my old body.
    Bench, 3x4@200. First and second sets, I hit the "j" hooks on the Rouge rack I use. Throws the bar off a bit, and then I lose tightness. I rested up for 7 minutes, thinking I would finally conquer that 5th rep, but the fourth rep on the last set wiped me out. I was out of time, so had to delay my Chin up sets.
    After Lunch:
    Chin ups: 4, 3, 4 at body weight, 3x10 assisted with a green assistance band. Still not sure how much that works into the plan, but it is a step down from the thick Blue one I used earlier in the year.
    Sled: not a prowler, but a similar type, I did 100 meters unloaded, then 2x100m loaded at 45 lbs. Thought I would try working in a little conditioning. I also warmed up for the Chins by doing the rower machine for 15 minutes. Figured that was close enough to doing squats and bench from this morning. Saturday back at it, and I always have plenty of time to work then.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast