starting strength gym
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ddtediejm's SS Training Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Do you work Chins and Lat pulldowns now? Or perhaps Bodyweight rows and barbell rows? I am trying to decide what to plug in. I think I would still like to work Power Cleans at least once every two weeks or so, but...I am leaning towards taking Dr. Sullivan's advice in The Barbell Prescription and save myself both pain and embarassment.

At my age and my lack of coordination I don't think I could beat a man in his twenties. He is way too fast, so why try to do Olympic lifts when that requires speed. I've tried some pull ups and chin ups. For auxiliary work I do the Concept 2 rows and mostly the prowler. But you are about 20 years younger than I am. We do have people in their 50s who do Olympic lifts but not everyone in that category can do them. One fellow does boxing. Why not plan a face to face consult with a SS coach. Do you live in Michigan or Ohio or even Indiana? If so, it might do you good to consult with Dr. Sullivan. There is a fee but it may be well worth it.

I live in Missouri. I think Matt Reynolds lives over in Springfield (not 100% sure on that, but I could have swore I heard him mention it on a podcast at one time). Again, money and bills is the only thing keeping me from pulling that trigger.

Week 7 started out with an early session, as I have a chiropractor appointment this evening. Trying to juggle it all in, so I sacrificed a little sleep to make sure it got done.

Squats: 3x5@245
    OHP: 3x5@120
    Deadlift: 1x3@305. Deadlift came up a bit smoother today, thinking I should be able to get 310 off the ground on Thursday.

Knocked out another training session tonight. Went with Lat Pulldowns in lieu of the Power Clean, and worked a little on some chin ups.

Squat:3x5@250-still think I need to get a bit lower on these.
    Bench: 3x5@180
    Lat Pulldowns: 1x10@105, 1x10@120, 1x10@135, 2x10@140, and 1x10@150

Chin ups: 2 sets of 5 and one set of 10, green assistance band.

Kind of frustrated as I end week 7. I had a form check on Facebook...was advised to drop the weight a bit to get lower, so I knocked off another 10% for the squat. My deadlift, which I was looking forward to getting 310 up today, also hit a wall, as I got it up once. So, after struggling with 305 again after resting...dropped it 10% as well to ramp it back up. Press went fairly well today, but will definately need to get some microplates soon to counter that. I am thinking of just starting from sratch again, working the deadlift three times a week again to see if that will help. I have also decided to stop dancing around, and up my caloric intake to 3500 a day as perscribed in the book. This is kind of hard to do, as I was way overweight and was liking my progress to slim down. It is not going well with the training. So trying to be a bit more strict, and closer to the "blue book".

Squat: 3x5@225
    OHP: 3x5@125
    Deadlift: 1@310, 1x5@275

Week 8 started tonight. Gym was pretty crowded with all the young Officers coming back to Ft. Leonard Wood hitting up various exercises, etc. but I squeezed in my training.

Squats: 3x5@230
    Bench Press: 3x5@180
    Power Cleans; 5x3@115. I had intended to switch to the lat pulldowns, but the lat pulldown machine at my normal gym is not in the greatest condition, so I will try to rotate through Power Cleans and Chin ups/Pull Ups. At the moment, I can't go too heavy on the Power Clean, as I still have some crappy form for a Front Rack position.

Felt pretty good about last night's training session. Hit a new PR on my deadlift, and just felt optimistic about things in general.

Squats: 3x5@235-feel like I am getting deeper finally. I will have to try and get another video for a form check. Have to use a different gym this weekend though, as my normal gym is shut down for the holiday.
    OHP: Tried 130, got one up, then was trying to do "thrusters" instead of press. Luckily for me, I had finally gotten Microplates, so instead of having to reload to 125, my last session, I popped on the one pounders and was able to hit 3x5@127. Even if it wasn't put 2lbs, it was still forward progress.
    Deadlift: 1x5@310. This is the one I am happiest with. Last time I attempted this, I got it off the floor once, and then couldn't move it, nor 305 again, and reloaded to 275 to complete my training session. Felt rather frustrated (see above post) and went back to the books and videos to see what I could do to get it right. Think this week I have just been eating a bit better, and alas, I cut out any swimming I had been doing. I love to swim laps, but decided it was better to leave it for now until I can hit some more personnel goals with my training.

I close out two months of Starting Strength with a crowded gym today. I had to return to the place with the hex plates, as my normal gym on post was closed. Lots of folks, so I had to wait for a squat rack, as well as a bench press station. The power clean was out today, as there were too many young Soldiers and Marines playing around with the trap bar. All the lat pull downs were filled, so I rounded it all off with some assisted chin ups.

Squat: 3x5@240
    Bench: 3x5@185
    Assisted Chin ups: 10 with 110 assisted weight, 10 with 100 assisted weight, 3x5 sets with 50 assisted weight. I still can't do a normal chin up after all this, but getting closer.

starting strength coach development program
    Week nine and feeling pretty good about this mornings training session. New PR on deadlift, and press is going up as well. Squats, I think I still need to get lower, but don't want to take weight off to ramp up again.

Squat:3x5@245
    OHP:3x5@128
    Deadlift: 1x5@315

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast