starting strength gym
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ddtediejm's SS Training Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Ran out of time this morning, and had to split up the work out. I didn't think it would matter too much, but going back during my lunch break to do barbell rows...it didn't work out as well as I had hoped.

Squats: 3x5@250-again, I don't think I am achieving depth on these, and my form is off. Will drop back again to regroup and try again.
    Bench: 3x5@190-last set, had to break it up as after the third rep, felt it falling apart, so racked it, waited a few seconds, then knocked out the last two.
    Barbell Row: mixing it up a bit instead of power cleans. Thought I would be able to do a bit more weight based off my Deadlift, but was only able to do 3x5@165 with decent form.
    Chin ups: Blue assistance band, 3x10

Finished week 9 today, still plugging away, still not quite hitting depth with my squat, and still working on correcting that. So I deloaded again and will try to ramp it back up with better form.

Squats: 3x5@225
    Press: 4, 2x5@190: The first set, I choked on the fifth rep. Something threw me off mentally I guess. I racked the weights, and took a 7 min. break between the next two sets rather than 5 and was able to successfully complete the last two sets.
    Deadlift: 1x5@320: another PR for me. I felt pretty good about knocking this out, seeing how a couple of weeks ago, 305 and 310 were stalling out for me. Now, if I could get this correction going for my squat, think I would be in business. I keep reminding myself, marathon, not a sprint.

Week 10 started with a pretty cold morning and a very crowded gym due to the cold weather. The place was wall-to-wall with Soldiers as I fought for a spot. Squats seemed to go well, and I think I am finally getting depth, so hoping I will not have to redo again. Bench press was the disappointment for me today, as I gave 195 a go, and probably should have just jumped up a couple of pounds instead of five, so will probably ramp that back. I also hit up power cleans again. I am rather wishy-washy on whether to continue doing them at my age, or go to barbell rows or lat pull downs. The lat pull down machine in my normal gym is rather crappy and I would rather stay away from it.

Squat: 3x5@230
    Bench; 4@190, 3@190, 4@192 (not sure if this was due to working out fasted, the crowd in the gym or the moon and stars not aligning, I just didn't seem to be able to focus on bench this morning at all)
    Power Clean:5x3@120-still need to work on my front rack position, and the shrug. I am pretty sure if I attempt much higher weight, this is going to stall.

Kind of a rough one for me today. Felt like I kept running out of gas. Another early morning, and I am definitely not a morning person, even after years of getting up at the crack of dawn while in the Army.

Squats: 3x5@235-feeling like I am making progress on these. Will have to do another Form Check soon on FB.
    Press: :4@131, 3@131, then 4@131.5. Here is where it started to grind down for me. Only jumped up a pound since my last Press work out, for some reason though, I could not seem to get into the rhythm to get the bar over my head. Really kept struggling and time was becoming a factor for me. I go in early on Tues. and Thurs. to get my fives in, and not be late for work, and still have my end of day not as busy. Doesn't seem to be working as well as I'd like though.
    Deadlifts: 1x5@325: After last Saturday, I knew I could do this weight, and I got it up five times, but I was losing form, not setting all the way...so I will use this weight again next time I deadlift.

Think I may be at a point were it is time to only deadlift once every five days. I am still feeling a bit sore in the elbows and arms. I am also wondering if it is time to expand my rest periods, and go a Tues. Friday, Sunday type split. Don't really want to do that, but I have some goals I would like to hit while still doing my LP.

Week 10 is over, and another rough one today for the Bench. Felt sore all week, not sure if it was due to the "polar vortex" or I'm just not recovering enough. Will try to keep an eye on it. I really don't want to eat much more than I am currently as I am coming in from being a "fat guy" who is trying to do the Paleo-light version.

Squats: 3x5@240 (these actually felt pretty good-think depth may be there finally)
    Bench: 5@192, 4@192, 3@192, 3@191.5- My first set, I hit the C clamp on the way up on the third rep, and that threw my game off some. I rested for 5 min. but just didn't ever get the groove back, even after pushing rest to 7 min. I tried to deload a little to 191.5, and even that was too much at that point.
    Chin ups: Assited, 3x10 (blue band)-I am SWAGing that the blue band gives me roughly 165lbs instead of my full body weight.

Week 11 is on the way. Again, time was a factor in the gym this morning (again very crowded...that time of year in Missouri) so I went back during lunch to finish up.

Squats: 3x5@245-feel like this is going well this time. I need to get a good video for another form check.
    Press: 2x5@131, then 3 @131, then 1 and 1. Made sure I got all 5 in for that last set, but after the third rep, the arms just couldn't get it back up over head. I may end up ramping this down, depending on how Saturday goes. I don't think I am taking too big a chunks for this, and I rest 5 min. between each set-first two sets went well, that last one was a bugger for me.

Power Cleans: Went back to wrap this up. 5x3@125-don't think I can go much higher at the moment. My front rack position is rather weak still, I work a few of the stretch drills I have seen, but need to dig back into my "Blue Book" and see what I need to do to get this moving along. I have been rather wishy-washy on these as of late, with discussion in Barbell Prescription and Scotts video on why he doesn't power clean, on doing them. I finally decided, that even though I am a Master over 50...I started doing Starting Strength to work Oly lifts better. To know ditch them seems rather stupid to me. So I will keep working them in with my Deadlifts and see how it goes. I doubt I will ever be as explosive as I need be, but I do think they are a "cool" lift, and who doesn't like doing "cool" things.

Got in my sets this morning, as the gym was not near as crowded.
    Squats; 3x5@250
    Bench: 3x5@192
    Back Extensions 3x10 at body weight (219)

Was a pretty cold day here, and was feeling it in my shoulders and arms afterward. Still glad I got them in, and still glad to make progress.

Week 11 is over and I had to reset my Press again. I have not been able to finish the full 3 sets of 5 as of late, and I hit a wall again this morning at 4 at 131, so dropped weight to push on. Will ramp it back up once again I guess. I did a light squat day, as today was deadlift day, and I was pretty pleased at my deadlift, pulled 325 up much easier than last week. Next week will be a new PR as I go after 330.

Squats: 3x5@225
    Press, 4@131, 2x5@115
    Deadlift: 1x5@325.

Started week 12 today. 3 months into SS LP and while I may not be doing it all correctly (or even YNDTP) I am feeling stronger. I have had to ramp down again on my presses, as they were stalling out at 192 for bench, and 131 for OHP, but squats and deadlifts seem to be moving along. Power Cleans could still use work (front rack position just kicks my ass for some reason) but over all, I am satisfied with where this is taking me. Crowded gym again today, so I had to split the session up once again.

Squats:3x5@255
    Bench:3x5@170
    Power Cleans: 5x3@90, then I hit some snatches for 3x5@100. I do enjoy Olympic lifts-just not that good at them. The gym I go to has the rubber plates and floor plates to drop the weights when you are done-it just seems satisfying to press it over head, then drop it on the mat. Silly I know, but fun.

starting strength coach development program
    Mid-week training session is complete. The gym wasn't near as crowded today, as the weather is somewhat decent for a bit before our next storm.
    Squats: 3x5@260-a PR for me, as I have never squatted this much. I think form is starting to break down under load though, and will continue to try and work on depth.
    Press: 3x5@115-feel bad that I am ramping down, yet I was feeling a little bit of pain in my left shoulder this morning, so perhaps trying to get this under control is a good thing. I watched a guy doing horrible press on the SS FB page, definitely don't want to be like that.
    Chin ups: 3x10 with green resistance band. Not sure how much of my body weight the green one deflects, but went to it instead of the thicker blue one. I still struggle with chin ups/pull ups. Saturday my normal gym is closed, and I will have to go to one of the more "mainstream" gyms on post. I am hoping the place will not be too packed, and I can get a decent squat rack and the deadlift platform. I hate deadlifting with those hex plates. I can just never get my set up correct with those things.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast