starting strength gym
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Ddtediejm's SS Training Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Closed out week 18 today at a fairly noisy gym. One of the ladies decided to bring her little girls to the gym and try to work out while the girls ran amok. Was distracting at times, but I somehow managed to pull through with my sanity intact, and a PR on my squat.
    Squat:3x5@270-again, PR for me. I am pretty sure I had some ugly ones mixed in with good ones, but feel fairly good about the progression I am making. I think the light day is helping me out as I move towards my goal of 300.
    Press: 1x5@140, 2x5@130. I am finally breaking through the 140 mark on my press. The fifth rep was quite the grind, but I was able to finally force it up. I will stick with this weight one more session before trying to push on to 145. It may be time to pull out the macro plates again.
    Deadlift: 1x5@310. This one didn't feel as smooth as when I pulled 300 my last session. I think working in the Light Deadlift days actually helped me when I was working on that. I will return to that strategy again to make sure my deadlift doesn't fall too far off.

Overall, not a bad week of training, although I had to split up the first two sessions. I am hoping to avoid that this week.

Kicked off week 19 a bit earlier this morning as I am in a class for my job. If I didn't get in early, I wouldn't have gotten a session at all.
    Squat:3x5@275: these felt heavy, and I am pretty sure I am back to partial squats. I may have to recock and start back up again. I want to see how it goes with Light Squat Day on Thursday, then 280 on Sat. before I really asses.\
    Bench: 2x5@190, 3 @200, 3@200. I thought at first, "man...200 is going up pretty easy, guess I will do another set of five". When I finished that second set, I found to my chagrin, it was only 190 lbs. I racked it up to 200 but was only able to get it up 3 reps. I got frustrated, tried again, and again, only three reps. Little disapointed in myself on that bit.
    Light Deadlifts: again, trying to keep at these, work on form without beating myself up too much, 2x5@250. Still, need to tighten up a bit. Overall, I was able to get it done, and look forward to Thursday.

Was sick on Thursday, so made up that training session on Friday. I wasn't 100% and felt it during the press. I still managed to get through light squats and my deadlift. Here are my results:
    Light Squat :3x5@240
    Press: 1@140, 2x5@130-was a bit frustrated, but I think the cold or bug I picked up effected this.
    Deadlift:1x5@315: I was afraid after the failed press this would be really tough, but still managed to get 315 off the floor. I will hit it again Sunday.

Wrapped up week 19 in the hex plate gym. Saw a lot things to make you shake your head as I watched the younger generation lift. I was a bit disappointed in myself, as I started to give 280 a shot for squats, and they were all partial, so I had to suck up the pride and drop back to 260 again. Much better, but I know even some of those were weak sauce. Bench press went better until the guy on the bench to my right needed the guy on the bench to my left to come over and give him a squat. So I had a small squad moving into my line of sight as I am trying to put my last set up. At least I got 200 up 5 times today and didn't hit a peg. Light deadlifts went fairly well. So in summary:
    Squats; 3x5@260
    Bench:1x5@200, 1x5@190, 3@190
    Lt. Deadlifts: 2x5@255

Kicked off week 20 in almost as bad shape as I did week 19. I was supposed to train on Tuesday morning, but instead, on Monday, I smashed my thumb with a hammer, and it hurt like hell. Luckily, I had a glove on, so I really didn't do too much damage, but it is still stiff and a bit sore even today. My hook grip was definitely out for Power cleans. I also did not do so hot on my press. I was to knock out a set of 5 at 140 in hopes of trying to push past this. In the past, I have been able to get a set of five in, but lately, I have not been able to hit it again. I think partly it is recovery issues, as I am being a bit more physical for my day job, moving heavier things around (which, in retrospect, I am glad I started doing this, as that part has been a much easier than it would have been last year) and I am feeling it at the end of the day and when I get up in the morning. Here are the numbers:
    Squats:3x5@265: again, I think most are at adequate depth, but I still will have a rep or two each set where I feel I am not deep enough, or I rock back on my heels.
    Press: 3x5@130. I picked up 140 out of the rack, started to press, and gravity said "no" to me. Was pretty frustrated by that, but I racked my back off set weight and did three sets or five.
    Power Clean:5x3@110. My thumb was not liking this too much, even when I was using a normal grip on the injured side. Hopefully, the thumb will fully heal soon. I have been icing and using aspirin to bring it back in line. I just hate getting knocked off my training rhythm, even though I know that is life.

Got my "light day" in this morning. Gym was fairly empty due to the Engineer Regimental Run. I pretty much had the run of the place. Thumb is still a bit tender, so no hook grips again today.
    Lt. Squat: 3x5@235
    Bench:1x5@200, 2x5@190. Finally was able to crank out 5 reps at 200 with no real issues. 205 is the next target.
    Lt. Deadlifts:2x5@260: doing these rather than chins, as my chins are really weak, and I am trying to get a bit better at Deadlifts as well. Next training session is back in the hex plate gym on Sunday.

I missed Sunday...was just feeling so beat down I decided to rest some more. So I picked back up today for week 21. I think the rest did me good, as 270 felt "light" while squatting today.
    Squats: 3x5@270-felt my depth was good, and the rest did a world of good. Will see how it goes on Sat. when I go for 275-I got up to 280 before I hit the reset button again. I just wasn't hitting proper depth at all. Think it will be golden this time around.
    Bench: 4 @205, 1x5@195, 4@195. Figured I would peter out at 205, but thought I would be good for two sets of 195. I think more of this was trying to rush the training session, as I woke up late today, and got a late start. It was bleeding into the time I was supposed to hit work, and think that is what caused the "choke" on the second set of 195. Had to break up the work out and go back for my chins.
    Chin ups: bodyweight (223) 4, 4, 4, and then green assistance band, 3x10. Still not much on the improvement front for these. Back at it on Thursday though.

Midweek training session complete today, not a bad session. Not my best but felt good to get up and go.
    Lt. Squats: 3x5@240: felt there were no issues with any of my squat sets from warm up to final last set of 5. I think the depth thing is finally clicking into my reptile brain.
    Press: 3@145, 2x5@135: New PR on the press by pushing up 145. I will use this again next time and keep trying to drive it up. Back off sets felt decent as well, but was grinding on the last two reps of each.
    Deadlift: 1x5@320: my thumb is still not fully 100% so I could not double hook grip. I ended up going supine on that hand for the last two reps. I also think it threw my game off, as I know I rounded my back a few times on these. I am hoping the mild annoyance in the thumb goes away soon so I can get back to it the way I should. Alas, Sat. I will be at the Hex plate gym again, as mine will be closed for the Easter holiday.

Wrapped up week 21 today at the "hex plate" gym.
    Squats:3x275: starting to feel that form creep sink in again. 270 seemed light on Tues. but these were a bit grindy.
    Bench:4@205, 1x5@195, 4, then 1 @195.
    Chin ups: 4, 3, 3 at body wt. (223) I still suck at those, but want to keep at it.

starting strength coach development program
    Week 22 starts out with a bit of mixed results. I did 280 for my squats with little to no trouble, unlike last time when I just was not going deep enough as the weight felt heavy. So that was a plus, my down side, my press struggled badly today. Last week I was able to get 145 up at least three times, this time I only was able to crank out one. Then when I went to my back off sets, the first set at 135 was good, my last set I choked on the last rep. Power Clean was...power clean. I used 120 for the weight this time. Thumb is still a bit out of whack on the left hand, so worked around that a bit. I think I am starting to not try and reverse curl as much as I used too.
    Squats:3x5@280
    Press: 1@145, 1x5@135, 4@135
    Power Clean:5x3@120.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast