starting strength gym
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Ddtediejm's SS Training Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Wrapped up another week of training today, it went fairly well. Gym wasn't too crowded (I don't think they ever are on a Friday) and I was able to move fairly freely without bumping into Soldiers. I was also able to complete my bench press without assistance again, so always a plus. On the upside, the 190 bench felt pretty light to me.
    Squats:3x5@260
    Bench:3x5@190
    Light Dead lifts: 2x5@275

Kicked off week 25 today, weighed in at 224.5, so down two pounds from last week. I am not really trying to lose as much as not gain a bunch of fat. Felt a little off though, as the seasonal allergy is really kicking my butt today. I finished my session, but called off work today. I have a nasty dry cough and it is making my throat pretty raw. Of course, the wonderful health care that all think us Vets get...no available appointments today, try again tomorrow at 0700. Anyway, I also learned today what the difference a missed decimal point could make. I thought I was loading up 140 with a 45 and a 25, then I realized as I tried to lift it out of the rack, I had a decimal point in between that 2 and 5. Oops. My press still sucked today, but not due to that.
    Squat:3x5@265
    Press: 3@140, 1x5@135, 4@135
    Light Dead Lift: 2x5@275-been working these in to help improve.

Midweek training session is complete. Feels weird calling it "midweek" on a Friday. But my body didn't reject me pushing any weight today, despite coming back from the allergies. Still trying to run out this LP as long as I can. So, today's numbers:

Lt. Squat: 3x5@240, after relooking at PPST I have probably been going a little heavy for a light day, but I was able to rest for only 3 min. instead of my normal five. I overslept a little this morning and was behind, so made it up with these rest periods.
    Bench:3x5@195
    Deadlift: 1x5@325-still feel like I am losing form on these, but glad I am able to lift it off the ground somewhat easy. My thumb is all healed, so no more pain when I hook grip, looking forward to driving it up to 330 and higher.

Rather busy day today, but I did manage to get in my "fives" this morning. Fairly decent session as well, squats are moving back in the right direction, press is getting a bit better and still working on dead lift form with "light dead lifts." Also, lost a pound an a half, so weight is sticking in the area I would like it to be.

Squat:3x5@270
    Press: 4 @140, 2x5@130
    Lt. DL: 2x5@280

Another round of training, albeit very wet day with the storms. Luckily the tornadoes that hit Jefferson City passed us by in the night, and the one that touched down close by this morning was away from my home. Safe and sound here anyway. I watched with some amusement some Soldiers conducting a Cross Fit type of PT session where they were bench pressing, prowler sled pushing, kettle bell swinging, etc. I watched the spotters hold onto the bar as they were rapidly benching light weights, wondering if they can go that fast, why the spotter holding the weight? I saw someone doing touch and go dead lifts with a light weight, yet using a supinated hand, but I say nothing, turn to my bar and pump out the next set. Today's numbers are:

Squat:3x5@275: starting to feel heavy again, but I think for the most part I am still hitting proper depth.
    Bench:3x4@200: Was trying to do 3x5, but could not get that last rep out on each of these sets. So time to start programming intermediate for this, I am looking at PPST and Barbell Medicine to see which route I want to take it. HLM seems to fit into my scheme of things, as I like the idea of Texas Method, but think I would tap out on that too quickly.
    Power Cleans: 3x2@130, I was not even close to good form on these, not getting into a good rack position, and trying to arm pull way too much, so I dropped to 125 for the last three (3x3@125). I will continue to hover around this weight until I can do them somewhat better. I think the problem I have with Power Cleans is similar to the problem I had with dead lifts, and that is I need more work on them. The alternating is good for recovery, but I lose form rather quickly. So as I have been making up some ground with light dead lifts, I am going to have to try and work in light cleans somehow too.

Just got done griping about my PC, and Rip has this up. A Comparison of Two Start Positions v3 | Mark Rippetoe I definitely need to work it more.
    Last edited by Ddtediejm; 05-23-2019 at 04:06 PM.

Feels weird calling a Sunday the Midweek of training, but since I am doing one day of training, two days off, it just happened to fall on that. I had to use the hex plate gym on post, and I am never excited about that. But, since it is a holiday weekend here in the states, (Memorial Day-and I will ride to the cemetery tomorrow to take part in our remembrance ceremonies for those who have gone on) the gym wasn't too crowded and I was able to get into one of the squat racks and then the dead lift platform without having to wait too long.
    Light Squats:3x5@235
    Press: 3@ 140, 2 @140, 2x5@130: My bench and my press both have hit that wall where I think Intermediate type steps will be needed to push beyond. I have hit 5 reps of 140 before, but it has been a while and I seem to have lost that push when it comes to that weight. The same thing is happening on my bench with 200. I am digging into the books, hence why I gave it one more attempt, and then did two back off sets at 130. I will try to hit 4 reps or more next press session and then two more back off sets. I will keep trying to add a rep until I hit 5, then start in with the next weight, 145 for 3, then 4, etc.
    Light Dead Lift:2x5@280: no chalk at the hex plate gym, and while I am able to use the few bumper plates they had, my grip was slipping even at 280. I also felt the bar moving away from my shins. So I need to focus more on form on these. I don't want to lose progress with my normal DL, and next week I try for 330 which would be a new PR.

So far, the one on, two off seems to be letting me keep LP alive a bit longer. I think my squats are slowing down again, and I shall see on Wed. when I finish up this triplet of work outs.

Wrapped up week 26 this rainy morning. Gym wasn't too crowded and the training went fairly well in my humble opinion.
    Squats:3x5@280-feeling like the depth is starting to be an issue again. Will keep an eye on this as I start creeping up in weight again.
    Bench:5@200, 2x5@190-Was tempted to try another set of five at 200, but decided to keep to my program. I am adding 5 pounds and going for a triple next week for bench, and hope this helps push me along.
    Power Cleans: 5x3@120-still have form issues, but I think they are getting better. Until I can really nail it though, I am keeping this around the 120-125 mark. I think I only "reverse curled" a few times today in all the warm ups and the work sets. I do enjoy the Olympic lifts, and that is why I still attempt these, even though my form is far from perfect.

Started my next round of training on a Saturday. It still feels weird going to the gym every two days after a work out, but I am adjusting. Still plugging along, although I am still toying with the idea of jumping into the H/L/M Intermediate training soon. NLP can not last for ever, and I think I am starting to hit that wall. Have already started with bench and press, thinking my squat at the moment is about to run its course. Did 285 today, and again, it felt fairly heavy, and I am pretty sure my depth is questionable. I did get complimented after the session was over, as a younger Army or Marine commented that I was getting at it. He lamented not being able to squat heavy due to his "knees" which is something I hear a lot when I tell people I squat every work out. I also got to witness some pretty interesting "bro" type stuff, such as the very muscular young man with the "Personal Trainer" hat that he wore (backwards on his head, because that it the 'cool' style) use a Smith Machine to do some type of weird reverse push up. I honestly couldn't tell you what it was called. He has the muscle tone to do what he wants..and obviously..he is a "personal trainer"and all. I also wanted to tell a young man squatting in the rack next to me, 1) they don't need a spotter, as a dude grabbing another dude by the waist as they go down doesn't look real manly, and what exactly is he going to do if the person bails on the lift, and 2) stop looking at the ceiling when you are trying to squat. Granted, they were doing the typical high bar squat, but he could have possibly been able to do a few more reps if he wasn't trying to see the sky. I also watched a young Soldier do trap bar dead lifts, where at the end when he stood up, he would pull the weight up to his waist with his arms. Quite an interesting time in the "hex plate" gym.

Squats:3x5@285, then I did 2x5@275. I am hoping the extra will help me get with the heavier weights.
    Press: 3@140-this was supposed to be 4 today, but I couldn't get the last one up. I waited 5 min. prior to lifting, and while it works for my bench, not sure if the wait is helping me push this. Probably is, but I am just salty and looking for excuses to get that weight up. 2x5@130.
    Light Dead Lift: 2x5@280. 280 was a struggle a few months back, and I am finding it rather easy to pull off the ground. Probably a bit too easy, but I am kind of focusing on activating lats and working on form with these. Soon, I will have to get my lazy butt back to trying chin ups again. Next session is Tuesday, so until then, happy lifting all!

Got my midweek training session in today, light squat day, bench and dead lift. I choked on my dead lift though, I was only able to get it off the floor 3 times instead of five. Kind of disappointed in that, as I thought I was starting to track well on it. I still want to pull 400 off the floor before much longer. Form went to crap though, as I felt the bar moving away from my thighs as I was pulling, so back was probably rounded as well. I will keep at it though, trying to get that form correct and still pull. It reminds me of back when I was trying to get 280 off the ground, then 290, etc.

Light Squat: 3x5@255
    Bench: 3@205, 2x5@195
    Dead Lift: 3@330
    Body weight today, 224.5. I don't want to get much heavier (mental thing for me) but I have started to increase my caloric intake a bit more. Not trying to stay under the 2600 I have on Myfitnesspal. I am hoping that will help with the heavier weight as well, since technically I am still not doing the program.

starting strength coach development program
    Hey! I’m 53 too and saw your comment on the sheet cake article and read through your log. Maybe you should trust your instincts about keeping your weight and waistline(!) down rather than chasing PRs. That article is about and for PL and strongman competitors: big, young, strong guys on PEDs and training a lot more than we do. Also, you’re feeling that you are no longer a novice is not wrong.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast