starting strength gym
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Ddtediejm's SS Training Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by VikingCellist View Post
    Hey! I’m 53 too and saw your comment on the sheet cake article and read through your log. Maybe you should trust your instincts about keeping your weight and waistline(!) down rather than chasing PRs. That article is about and for PL and strongman competitors: big, young, strong guys on PEDs and training a lot more than we do. Also, you’re feeling that you are no longer a novice is not wrong.
    What this dude said.

You need more appropriate programming, not sheet cakes.

This is coming from a 32 year old, 245lb strongman competitor...

Thanks for checking in guys and the advice. I don't think I will eat a sheet cake a day for sure, but probably ramp up a few more calories. Definitely not go hog wild as it were. I think Monday I will push into intermediate territory as I continue this journey. I have appreciated all who have swung in and left comments and have helped me out. I am closer to 300 for my squats, and still working towards that 405 dead lift.

Squats:3x5@290-as when I break into new ground, I am thinking these can use more work, but still moving upward with the weight.
    Press:5x3@140-I read through a post somewhere where Coach Rip suggested doing 5 sets of 3 on a sticking point, so thought I would give it a try. A set of 3 does help mentally, as the weight starts to get heavy, you only have one more rep to go.
    Light Dead Lifts: hit these again, 2x5@280-trying to get that form down much better 280 feel fairly light at this point, but I still am not getting those lats activated enough to prevent the bar from swinging out around rep 3 or 4.

I am digging into PPST And The Barbell Prescription to see where I go from here. I am thinking H/L/M on a M/W/F split, but not adverse to doing the four day split either.

Either way man, you do you...

For what it's worth, I was also 300+ pounds a few years ago, starved down to around 200, and probably wouldn't be 245 if it weren't for my competitive aspirations... so I understand the mental aspect you keep mentioning. At some point you're probably going to need some more volume than just 5's, just my anecdotal experience but switching from 5's to 3's on the press won't do much unless you're upping the load... and even then...

Don't let yourself get tied down to one method either.

There's a whole world of ideas and training methodologies out there besides what you've got in those books, and finding what works best for you will require experimentation.

Thanks for the encouragement, Sir. I appreciate it. To answer your question from the article, I am currently 225, up a few pounds from when I started, but I tend to believe most of it is muscle rather than fat. I also want to state that I was not planning on eating sheet cake every day, merely upping my caloric intake to around 3000, as currently I am trying for 2600 on a daily basis. Also, at my age, I am not too concerned with "abs" or looking like Arnold did in his day, but getting that 405 dead lift up will feel pretty good to me.

starting strength coach development program
    Make sure you actually read the relevant parts in Practical Programming. Andy lays out a few examples of moving from simple novice programming to intermediate programming. Most people just jump to the program examples, not realizing that's the least useful information in those chapters outside of the novice chapter.

Remember that all of your programming wont be "intermediate" on the same day. For your upper body lifts, I've had lots of success with something like this: Intermediate Programming for the Upper Body Lifts | Nick Delgadillo

Going to triples on the press rarely works if you don't already have a big press. For your squat, change to a light day mid-week. Something like 80% of your Monday work weight for 3x5 instead of just adding weight on Wednesday again. Once things get iffy again, go to a top set of 5 plus two backoff sets at around 90% on Monday and Friday. Without gaining any weight at all, I'd fully expect a guy your size to get close to the mid-300s before needing to go to HLM provided that your form is good and you're not missing sessions.

Once you need to, change out the Friday workout to a "medium" day by using 3x5 @ 90% of your Monday top workset weight. Run it like that for a while and then when you need to transition into whatever programming template you want to.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789