starting strength gym
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dad Lifts

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    SSNLP Day 6 (B)

Rearranged the stand so the plates hopefully fit better in the joist cavities.

Squat: 135 x 5 x 3
    Big plates, and now with proper weightlifting shoes! I can tell a difference. I think I got better depth this time.

YouTube

Bench: 115 x 5 x 3
    Also felt stronger. Wore a belt this time.

YouTube

Power Clean: 135 x 3 x 5
    Can tell a big difference with the shoes here. I notice that I catch with knees forward, I think butt should be back more. More of the “short-stop” position.

As for progression, I’ll keep it at 1/2 the deadlift. So +5 after I’ve added +10 to the deadlift.

YouTube
    Last edited by Sean McAnally; 01-06-2019 at 10:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean McAnally View Post
    Signed up for Squat Training Camp on 2/2 in Farmington Hills, MI with Dr. Sullivan and Chris Kurisko!
    I plan to help with this camp. It will be nice to meet you.

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    I plan to help with this camp. It will be nice to meet you.
    Great, see you there!

Tracking body composition and recovery metrics, as well as calories and macros.
    Capture.jpg

Big increase in sleep quality, driven by +1 average hour in bed (ironically, includes a late night on New Year's, and back to work after vacation)

Diet is daily average from 1/2 through 1/5

Will see how calories and macros look this week and begin making adjustments if waist measurement creeps up. I need to up my protein (will plan ahead for 1-2 protein+veggie meals a day, maybe also a protein shake), and eat less candy - better snack choices in general. If waist circumference doesn't decrease, or increases, I'll lower fat by 10g/day for a week and increase carbs by ~25g to replace the calories, and see what happens.

SSNLP Day 7 (A)

Squat: 140 x 5 x 3

Press: 90 x 5 x 3
    Last reps tough. Wonky left shoulder, I can tell the bar isn’t going up parallel. Will post a form check in the SSC forum next time.

Deadlift: 270 x 5
    Different with shoes. Easier maybe?

Chins: 2,2,2
    LAME! Adding these to Workout A. Will work up to 10-12 before adding weight.

SSNLP Day 8 (B)

Squat: 145 x 5 x 3
    These felt great, best so far.

Bench: 120 x 5 x 3
    First set was tough. Adjusted grip and got tighter on the second, better. Third was best.

A little rough today.

SSNLP Day 9 (A)

Squat: 150 x 5 x 3
    These felt good! Widened stance on the second and third sets, noticed my knees kept coming forward all the way down in the first set. They still do some, but it's less pronounced with a slightly wider stance. I think I did better with maintaining upper back tightness this time.

Press: 95 x 5 x 3
    Grip was too wide in the first set, narrowed it for sets 2 and 3. Last rep of last set was a grind. I'm getting a form check in the SSC sub-forum, just to be sure. In the second and third sets I focused on sending it behind my head, as I think I was pressing more in front (like a double kettlebell press, which is appropriate when the COM is behind the wrist/forearm). I'm not doing the Press 2.0 hip thing yet, but maybe I should start?

Deadlift: 275 x 5
    Getting used to the shoes. Greater tendency for the bar to swing out in front, so needing to keep it pulled back. But, that's a good cue to keep tight in the upper back/lats.

Chins: 3,2,2
    Progress, such as it is. This time, did them after deadlifts (instead of between warm-up and work sets of each exercise).

SSNLP Day 10 (B)

Squat: 155 x 5 x 3

Bench: 125 x 5 x 3
    Have a form check submitted in the SSC forum.

SSNLP Day 11 (A)

Squat: 160 x 5 x 3
    Continues to go smoothly.

Press: 100 x 5,4,4
    Failed last rep of second and third sets. But, this was my first time with the hip drive / Press 2.0. Wasn’t quite right the first set, then just not enough in the others (and too much lean-back?).

Guess I’ll try again on Monday?

Deadlift: 280 x 5
    Hook-grip PR! Hurts like a MF-er, but it is definitely effective.

Chins: 2,2,2
    Blech.
    Last edited by Sean McAnally; 01-16-2019 at 09:57 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Press.... Yep, try again on Monday at same weight, maybe try to get in 2 or 3 reps on a breath. Looks like you're getting big full breath on each rep possibly trying to speed that up a bit may help.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast