Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeff C Training Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    1/1/2019 log

Squat:
    185x5x3
    Went up easy, felt so nice. Honestly felt even easier than previous workout at 180. Wow! Apparently i have been going to deep so I am trying to stop at parallel but now I risk not going deep enough. Will post video if anyone is curious.

Bench:
    165x5x3
    Felt great - feel like I have really improved breathing and bracing and while the bar did start to slow a little in the last set, I still feel I have a lot of room here, though not as much as squat.

Deadlift
    245x5x1
    Went up nice but slowed on final two. Form felt good. Back has been better since re-learning form with coach Ryan. I just struggle with resetting after each rep to same hip height as initial rep , but video looked pretty good.

Accessory:
    Bodyweight pull-ups 7,6,5

Feeling great. Eating a lot. Sleep sucked last night though, after the workout, because I stupidly had strong coffee too late. Whoops.

1/3/2019 log

Squat
    190x5x3
    I was told by rip that my back was too vertical, so i tried to change that, but it felt just a bit sloppy, and i also think that it caused even more "butt wink", almost to the point where the rounding may be a problem? I'm not sure, maybe not. Here's the video. YouTube

OHP
    105x5x3
    Kinda slowed a bit at the end- may start doing 2 pound increments with micro plates

Cleans (first time) 95x1x10
    Just a bunch of singles. not sure how to do multiple reps in a row, how to reset properly between reps. here's the video YouTube

Weighted Chins -
    +32.5 pounds x 5, 4....

I rushed into the second set because Fiance was a'callin, and for the third set i just barely rested at all and did body weight for 5. Plus the bar i was using was too thick so my grip strength was giving out first. Kind of failed this particular exercise, but i introduced cleans to the routine so I'm still happy, and progress continues.

I checked my weight last might and it was like 194. I have been like 186 forever until i started this problem a couple weeks ago. so might have gained pretty quick, but then this morning it was 188. Still, it's clearly going up.

1/5/19 log

Squat
    195x5x3. Still feels good. Form was better now. Knees didn’t shoot forward coming out of hole, and back was less vertical as I finally stopped looking in the mirror

Bench:
    170x5x3 really slow on last rep all 3 sets

Dead
    255x5x1

Grip was almost lost at end. Time to switch to alternate grip for work set.

Still going up linear. Still feels good.
    Last edited by Jeff LC; 01-07-2019 at 05:50 AM. Reason: Accidentally said wrong weight for bench

1/7/19 log

Went before work today, no coffee or food... warmup took forever and it still felt sooo heavy first set, improved by final set of squats but DAMN.

Squat
    200x5x3 - YouTube
    All went up again, no problem, form felt good. I seem to have solved my issue of knees going forward to cheat out of the hole, which ended the slight lumbar flexion at the bottom, but i seem to actually be OVERextending my back now, having it too arched. And apparently my tendency is to keep my chest too high, back to vertical. I'm trying to fix that, it just feels so unnatural. my coach saw my forum post with the form check and said to just try to get my back more nuetral and tight, not extended. I feel for is still good enough to keep progressing but worried about it.

OHP
    110x5x3
    felt like this lift was starting to get heavy but I don't know, something clicked and I just felt more explosive today and feel like i have a bunch of room to keep improving. Also doing a better job of shrugging at lockout at the top.

Cleans
    105x3x5 - YouTube
    Form is all over the place. Based on video i actually am keeping arms straight until jump, so that's good, but my head is like flicking upward right before jump. So i tried to fix that, keep head down, and wouldn't you know it, i literally cleaned the bar into my chin! Teeth clanked together HARD. thankfully no damage. Anyway, i continue to try to clean this up but with no coach... i don't know.

Weighted Chins
    32.5 x 4
    30 x 4
    30 x 3

No straight pull up bar available to me, other than this one that is too slick, and too wide, so grip strength ends the sets. Plus again, no time to really take the rest i need. I find i need most rest with heavy chins, more than any other lift so far... might just be because this lift is at a more advanced weight that my weak ass squat and deadlift. Anyway... this a blatant halt in progress on this lift. This is the only one i never reset when i officially started this program "strict".. so maybe i just reset. I have gained like 8 pounds in just the 3 weeks i have been doing this and i'm 5'11 and was already 185 before. I will be disappointed if after this whole month of eating so much and working so much and squatting so much, if all my lifts just end up plateauing right where they were maxed at last time before i started the program; would feel like the whole thing was a waist almost. But i feel like my squat and dead are going to keep going past their original plateaus, and everything else will follow if i eat enough, and sleep enough, which i am.
    Last edited by Jeff LC; 01-07-2019 at 09:15 AM. Reason: added clean video

Nice consistent work Jeff. Bar speed looks very good, you have a long road of PRs in front of you. I'd highly recommend getting a belt and weightlifting shoes. Here's a true statement...
    my squat and dead are going to keep going past their original plateaus, and everything else will follow if i eat enough, and sleep enough

Quote Originally Posted by hondotbt View Post
    Nice consistent work Jeff. Bar speed looks very good, you have a long road of PRs in front of you. I'd highly recommend getting a belt and weightlifting shoes. Here's a true statement...
    Thanks! I have a belt on the way, and just bought legacy lifters yesterday so I’ll be using them for tomorrow’s workout.

I’m still not quite at my PR numbers yet so I hope the bar speed maintains as I approach them. I had PR’d 225x5 on high bar squat before starting this strict routine and learning low bar,.

my bench PR was 200 1rm, right now I’m 170x5

Ohp was 130x5, though just for one set and form got sloppy. Now just did 110x5x3

Deadlift PR was 305x3, and most recently did 255x5

So in a couple weeks I should be seeing whether new PRs are truly in the cards or not ; it has started to feel heavy so I have to admit I am a little worried that I may suddenly not hit my reps as soon as I get back to my previous plateau. That would be seriously discoursging. But I think I’m doing everything right so I believe I will overcome it.
    Last edited by Jeff LC; 01-08-2019 at 11:06 AM.

You have the gift of youth as well as the gift of having found SS. You will certainly surpass the previous PRs. Do the program as written, stay accountable here in the forum, maybe listen to BB Logic podcast and SS podcasts and I will cheer you on as you set new PRs.

1/9/2018 log
    Did another morning workout pre-work. This time chugged some coffee and ate a bowl of cereal before leaving.. it made my warmup more normal, bar didn't feel overwhelmingly heavy like it did when i went in the morning last time.

Squat
    205x5x3
    All went up without trouble again, all to depth. Only problem is form is a little shaky still. Still trying to keep back more horizontal at bottom, but my knees are a little shaky, and i also at the begeinning of the rep am sort of bending down at the hips BEFORE even bending the knees at all, like doing a goodmorning, THEN squat, which is definitely not correct. It's not to a terrible extent, but its just not ideal. Also, first time squatting with my new lifting shoes finally! Better than the squishy running shoes.

Bench
    175x5x3
    this is the first time since starting the strict program that i can finally sit back and say, "wow, this is working, i am stronger than I've ever been". I have never done 5 reps at 175 on the bench. and on the symmetric strength app i use which kind of approximates your one rep max, mine has now moved above (based on 175x5) what it was at before i started the program. Further, i could have knocked out a couple more reps on that first set i think! At least one! So, it's really, really working and that made me really happy.

Deadlift
    265x5x1
    Went up fine, but still does feel pretty heavy, which everyone else seems surprised by. I feel like as it gets heavy like this, i tend to raise my hips first and straighten my knees before actually lifting the bar off the ground... need to get a good video.

Accessory
    bodyweight dips for volume, 10, 10, 9 - i had told myself i would be keeping these lighter, just a way to get in some extra upper body volume, but i think they're too light now, don't want to really be doing more than 8 reps, so i'll start adding weight.
    Last edited by Jeff LC; 01-09-2019 at 09:00 AM.

this is the first time since starting the strict program that i can finally sit back and say, "wow, this is working, i am stronger than I've ever been". I have never done 5 reps at 175 on the bench. and on the symmetric strength app i use which kind of approximates your one rep max, mine has now moved above (based on 175x5) what it was at before i started the program. Further, i could have knocked out a couple more reps on that first set i think! At least one! So, it's really, really working and that made me really happy.
    This ++

starting strength coach development program
    1/11/19 training log

Squat
    215x5x3
    Had to skip 210 because someone apparently stole all the 2.5 pound plates from this gym. Oh well. Didn’t feel that difficult still. Technique still off. I think I am over thinking the “you’re too vertical” critique and trying to hard to get more horizontal, but it’s happening at the beginning of the descent, so I’m basically leaning over with my back before I even squat down. Have to fix that before it gets heavy.

Press
    115x5x3
    Went find, not hard, tried 2.0 form (had been doing 1.0 so far because my coach said to start with that to be careful with back issue, but back feels fine ever since correcting deadlift )

Clean
    115x3x5
    Form is all over the place, no clue what I’m doing, honestly not convinced it is even productive for me to be even doing this. May remove it from my program despite the advice against doing so. If I have no coach and can’t do it right and clean into my chin, I probably shouldn’t be doing it.

Chins
    Just a bunch at body weight. Don’t have chain today to add weight. Plus thinking of resetting the weight here from scratch anyway but maybe doing AMRAP sets from body weight instead of just 5 reps. Intermediate type of programming but my weighted chins are definitely the one lift that are intermediate coming into this program anyway

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast