starting strength gym
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeff C Training Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Log 2/7/2019

Bodyweight: 202

So, saw my SSC, Ryan Arnold, again. 2nd time... first time was when i first started the program on lioke 12/21 or something.

Apparently I am ready for intermediate programming; I could potentially squeeze out some more gains on smaller micro loads for the presses, but my squat also has hit a wall and needs a reset and a more intermediate scheme, and over all it just seemed to coach that I would be best to just reset this coming monday and start with a new program.

He's writing me a modified version of texas method. I think i will be deadlifting on the middle day, and not squatting that day, only squatting volume monday and intensity friday. And I will be benching all three days, monday volume, wednesday variant, Friday intensity. This is because of my back injury which we want to be careful with, and also because bench strength could use the extra development. Press will only be once a week, so focusing on bench for this cycle. I don't have the exact program yet, but I'm damn excited to start it! Also proud that i really basically completed an LP. I was only doing the program strictly for 6 weeks, but for like 3 months before that i was doing a very similar program, (pretty much greyskull LP essentially), and was riding up linear on that as well. So a bit above 4 months of total linear progress.

Anyway, with Ryan today i did press and bench. We kept it light and focused on form; i had never had live instruction on these really

The major thing my form was missing for both was keeping my wrists straight; i was letting them flop backwards. So we worked on that, and today my wrists are really sore, it hurts to type. haha.

Anyway, that's all, going to take it easy this weekend, go to the gym with the fiance and probably just do some light easy stuff. Then start my new program on monday.

I also have PPST3 on its way, so maybe i might check out some of the programming in there; but I'm inclined to do whatever coach gives me.

Glad that you got to see an SSC coach for some programming and form advice. When I saw Diego Socolinsky last weekend it was refreshing to get new programming that seems do-able and sustainable. Looking forward to life as an early intermediate and seeing more consistency for myself. Also looking forward to your new programming and watching how it goes for you.

Got my new program!

It looks like a modified version of texas method - i am supposed to take this weekend off, and then start it on Monday (or tuesday if i go Tues Thurs Sat). I am doing a big reset since i really hit a wall and also got injured. Plus, I am only squatting Mon and Fri (vol and PR), while I am benching 3x per week, (vol, variant, PR), and only pressing on middle day, simple linear LP style.

Mondays
    Squat Volume (Start at 205x5x3, add more sets over time if comfortable)
    Bench Volume (Start at 135x5x4, add extra set in once comfortable)
    Chins - 3 sets body weight

Wednesdays
    Press: 105x5x3
    Close Grip Bench 125x3x4
    Dead lift: 285x3x2 (doing triples from now on, working back up)

Fridays
    Squat Intensity: work up to top set 240x5
    Bench Intensity: work up to top set 155x5
    Chins: 3 sets weighted chins

It's a big reset, so if everything feels super light i can do 10 pounds the first time on squat and deadlift, and then 5 pounds thereafter. For Bench and Press i can start with 5 pound jumps and then change to 2 or 3 pound jumps where appropriate, and then "run it out" on intensity day to lower reps over time.

Previous PR's in the novice LP before hitting the wall - note these were all one-set PRs, for each lift i failed to complete all 3 sets at this weight. Plus, form was highly compromised and bar speed was definitely "RPE" of 10.
    Press 137x5
    Bench 195x5
    Deadlift 315x5 or 320x3x2 (discussed potential 5 rep backoff set here, but going to leave it be for now)
    Squat 265x5

I know it's a stronger reset then would be typical, but i seemed to really hit a wall, plus my coaching session showed some form issues in my wrists on the presses, so trying to focus on fixing that is causing me to have to newly adapt and that makes it a bit harder, so we decided it is better to reset a little stronger.

So freakin excited to start doing this.

Quote Originally Posted by hondotbt View Post
    Glad that you got to see an SSC coach for some programming and form advice. When I saw Diego Socolinsky last weekend it was refreshing to get new programming that seems do-able and sustainable. Looking forward to life as an early intermediate and seeing more consistency for myself. Also looking forward to your new programming and watching how it goes for you.
    Thanks man! Good luck to you

Monday 2/11/2019 log
    Weight in - 200 pounds
    Starting my modified Texas method today, while simultaneously doing a pretty hard reset.

Squat volume : 205x5x5

Bench volume : 135x5x5

Chins : bodyweight x5x3

Log
    2/13/2019

Press:
    115x5x3 - recently had another coaching session and finally really went over the press, learned to keep elbows in front of me at bottom, and to keep wrists straight. This is a reset from failure at 137 while adjusting to new form.

CGBP:
    135x5x3 - love this. Pumped to keep going. Coach prescribed 4 sets of 3 at 125, but that felt so light i went to 135 and even then, just ended up doing 5 reps. Will micro load this with 2 or 3 pound increments from the get go.

Deadlift:
    285x3x2 - felt great, back issue is totally 100% gone and didn't feel any discomfort at all, as long as i focus on staying locked in extension, and stay braced on the way down, remaining in extension, lower back feels 100% nothing.

Solid workout. Ready to get these numbers back up and start PRing every week WOO. intensity day tomorrow! If i survive this current cluster F going on at my office.

I'm fat

2/15/2019 Log
    Intensity Day

Squat:
    245x5 top set

Bench:
    175x5 top set

Weighted chins:
    Started with just body weight so no actual weight here but will add 2.5 pounds next week and just keep doing that every week, 3 sets to failure.

2/18/2019 log

This was week two of my new program, supposed to do volume day on the 18th, monday. I missed this workout due to some personal stuff that popped up, made it impossible to work out. first workout I have missed in over 4 months. Definitely the first since starting strict SS on 12/22 or whatever.

Anyway, it's wednesday the 20th now, I'm going to pick up where i left off today, i guess i just do monday's workout? I was thinking I'd do weds, Friday, Sunday, then next week do Tues Thurs Sat, then from there stay on tues thurs sat schedule.

Sorry to the SS gods for this blasphemy.

starting strength coach development program
    Wrist wraps might be helpful to reduce wrist pain on bench and pressing movements.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast