starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TimeViking's Gonna Do It For Real This Time Log

Default TimeViking's Gonna Do It For Real This Time Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello all!

I was introduced to Starting Strength at the age of 17. However I never read the book and only roughly followed the program found on the internet. In my high school gym, there was only a smith machine which I continued to use until I injured myself.(Surprise, surprise)

The last few years I have been lifting and trying various different programs making little progress in the big lifts. After I realized crappy bbing splits and really slow periodization programs were not getting me closer to my eventual goals of competing in Strongman, I decided to return to the basics and give Starting Strength a pure and unadulterated run. My maxes before starting over on SS are: 205 Bench, 240 Squat, 340 Deadlift, and 135 OHP.

Below was the last workout I tracked, after about 3 or so weeks in (I did start really light again, perhaps too light):

Squat 5/5/5 x 100 lb

Overhead Press 5/5/5 X 60 lb

Deadlift 5 X 115lb

All at a bodyweight of ~207 and height of 6'4".
    Last edited by TimeViking; 01-22-2019 at 11:27 AM.

You may indeed have started too light. Still, it is good that you returned. Now follow the damned program as outlined in the book...please read it about five times through and consult with a coach. Face to face is the best. Having done what you did earlier you should be able to lift some heavy weight in a few months.

Today's Lifts:

Squat 5/5/5 x 105 lb

Bench 5/5/5 X 85 lb

Power Clean 3/3/3/3/3 X 85 lb

Still learning how to do the power clean, but it seems to be going fairly smooth. Planning to visit a coach in Chicago eventually. Need to save some more money first.

Missed a couple workouts due to a combination of sleep loss and crazy weather here in upper Wisconsin. Luckily this happened early in the program. I know it's not a great look to miss workouts this early on, but I want to create the most honest log I possibly can.

Today's Lifts: (Jumped ahead a bit in deads)

Squat 5/5/5 X 115 lb

OHP 5/5/5 X 65 lb

Deadlift 5 X 135 lb

Rest day Diet Update:

1 Shake in Morning:

2 Cups Whole Milk
    1 Cup Oats
    4 Tbsp Peanut Butter
    1 Banana
    2 Scoops Syntha-6
    2 Tbsp Dextrose (Just using this to get rid of it)

Chicken sandwich for lunch with 3 slices deli chicken, 2 pieces of Walmart brand cheese, and some mayo.

For dinner I have about a pound of ground meat 73/27 mixed with 2 cups of cooked macaroni and mixed with a good heap of pasta sauce.

And then in the evening I have another shake. This comes in at around 4900-5000 calories. I definitely need to work to add in some fruit and veggies over time but at least I'm definitely getting the calories in. I'll add more if needed as the weights progress.

There are 3 SS coaches working out of the Chicago Strength and Conditioning gym and one or two others in Evanston. I know 4 of the 5. I'm most familiar with Karl Schudt. You won't go wrong with any of them. Make sure you get at least 200 g of protein per day as well.
    Last edited by carson; 02-05-2019 at 06:12 PM.

Todays Lifts:

Squat 5/5/5 X 125 lb

Bench 5/5/5 X 95 lb

Power Clean 3/3/3/3/3 X 105 lb

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    There are 3 SS coaches working out of the Chicago Strength and Conditioning gym and one or two others in Evanston. I know 4 of the 5. I'm most familiar with Karl Schudt. You won't go wrong with any of them. Make sure you get at least 200 g of protein per day as well.
    I'm currently stashing away some funds to take a trip down to Chicago to get everything checked out. I'm eating around 260g of protein everyday as well.

Also trying to work on those sleep gainz! Luckily I don't have many other obligations other than work so I have a lot of time to lounge around and rest.

Today's Lifts:

Squat 5/5/5 X 135 lb

OHP 5/5/5 X 75 lb

Deadlift 5 X 155 lb

Everything is feeling pretty good even with the slightly larger jumps in weight. Trying not too jump up too much, just a bit here and there where it seems appropriate.

Today’s Lifts:

Squat 5/5/5 x 145lb

Bench 5/5/5 x 100 lb

Power Clean 3/3/3/3/3 x 115

Still working on getting good sleep. Trying to take naps in afternoon for some extra rest

starting strength coach development program
    Today’s Lifts:

Squat 5/5/5 x 155 lb

Overhead Press 5/5/5 x 80 lb

Deadlift 5 x 165 lb

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast