starting strength gym
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Scotch and Suck Log

Default Scotch and Suck Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Well, it's been about ten years since I joined this forum. Started out as some 30 year old dude, turned into an absolute beast by 36 if I do say so myself, and then got injured and lazy and what not.

Previous numbers are

BW 205

Squat 400x2
    DL 500 x 1
    Bench I think like 265 x 1
    Press 205 x 1
    PC I don't remember but axle cleaned 235

And my absolute favorite, one arm snatch 145 x 1

Then I did some competitive strongman, a tough mudder, then got hurt, and then I got super lazy.

I'm also devastated to see that my best contribution to this forum, the Scotch and Cigar Thread, has been deleted. Oh well.

I thought it had been longer but looking at my old log I was still working out earlier this year at least a little.

Anyway, I'm going to start linear progression over again and run my own bastardization of starting strength. I definitely feel like I've earned the right to modify the program as I see fit. And if I haven't, I'm going to do it anyway.

This may be complicated by the fact that I cracked my left shin a few months ago, and while it has healed there's a big bump and I'm not so sure about the bones overall integrity. We're gonna find out.

If you remember me, or even if you don't, say hi and I'll try to be more friendly than last time I ran through here.

I don't even have a gym membership yet so I probably won't even start for a few days and I'm totally going to use 2 week passes as long as I can get away with it.

Welcome back. Do you plan to see an SS coach from time to time?

Thanks Carson. I live about four hours from the nearest coach, so probably not. I met with one very early in the coach program and honestly it didn't end up being a good investment. Never say never though.
    -

Walked about 3 and a 1/2 miles yesterday and after almost 3 months of doing basically nothing because of my shin I actually needed a nap. Did about the same distance today.

This is going to stand in as progress for the moment, like a fish on a bicycle.

12/29

10 min power stretch

12/30

1st session back. Went with my buddy who I got going on a modified starting strength. This was his 9th workout. I probably could have gone a lot harder but I more or less ended up at his weights except squat, I'm glad I took it a little easy.

Due to my left leg injury I have a big bony knot on the front of my shin now. I hit it at least once doing power cleans and I'm going to need to figure something out by modifying my technique.

BW=215 (5'11")

5 min elliptical

Squat
    bar x some
    65 x 5
    85 x 5
    105 x 5
    115 x 5 x 3 <-- easy but awful, felt stiff and creaky. Training is bullshit.

Bench
    bar x some
    65 x 5
    85 x 5
    105 x 5
    125 x 5 x 3 <-- real easy

Power Clean/Front Squat
    bar x some
    65 x 3
    85 x 3
    105 x 3
    125 x 3
    125 x 2
    And here I laughed because I did 115 work sets for squats and I'm front squatting 125. It's good, go slow.

PC
    125 x 1
    125 x 2, 125 x 1 PC, Push Press

I couldn't help myself, it wasn't even hard to push press.

Ok, that was awesome, I haven't enjoyed this tired exhilarated feeling in a long time.
    Last edited by JStrong; 12-30-2018 at 01:09 PM.

Welcome back, all the best with your training ^_^

Thanks Lorenzo, looks like you are making good progress. I'll likely fly through the weights since I've done this before, they say it should take half as long this time, I'm going to try to stay slow and steady, but we will see.

Slow and steady does it for me too, it's a life time commitment, in the end it all depends on your goals.

12/31
    Frisbee golf
    1/1
    10 min power stretch

I am still a little beat up from that first workout so I am going to go microscopically slow and join a Planet Fitness tomorrow for $11.

I can go there on off days and go easy. I'm trying to get in to a sweet private gym near my house so I don't want to pay for a real membership anywhere yet.

Anyway, I need to get in a squat rack but no rush as long as I actually lift something.

1/2

Hell yeah Planet Fitness!

Secured access to a barbell gym for Friday. Then I have a bunch of travel so I may try to sneak in a Tuesday session before I go, with some screwing around workout after that.

5 min elliptical
    DB Workout (weight is for a single DB but I use two for all exercises except rows)

Press
    10 x 10
    20 x 5
    25 x 5
    30 x 5 x 3

DB Rows
    30 x 10
    50 x 8 x 3

DB Squat
    30 x 5 x 3 <--sixty pounds was surprisingly not nothing.

DB Curls
    10 x 10 x 3

Cable Pulldowns
    35 x 10
    60 x 8 x 3

Yeah, that was just about right. Being de-trained means everything works, which is nice.

starting strength coach development program
    1/3

Frisbee golf, 18 holes, 2.5 miles-ish

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast