Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Resolution 2019 - Get Stronger

Default Workout 10 of 150 - Friday 1/11

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Workout 10 of 150 - Friday 1/11
    Quote Originally Posted by abg View Post
    I am curious, though - how do your wrists feel during and after pressing? Your hands seem cocked back really far
    I noticed that as well, but have been focusing more on the Squat, which also has bar position issues (starting to get a bit of bicep tendonitis). Wrists are fine after pressing, but the weight is still pretty light. I'm going to try tightening my wrist straps a bit - they aren't doing their job and they're letting me bend my wrists without knowing I'm doing it.

This workout
    - First "technique day" - I cut out deadlifts and chins so I could do five sets of squats at low weight and focus on form, trying different cues. I Don't think I accomplished anything by doing that.

Chins: (179.4+0)x7,6,5
    Squat: 150x5x3. Warmup sets were the same as I would have done for 165lb worksets.
    Bench: 150x5x3
    Squat Again: 105x5x5

Adam Levine on Instagram: “Workout 10 of 150 This was my first "technique day". I cut out chins and deadlifts so I could do a lot of lightweight squat sets and work…”

You mentioned the rounding in your instagram post. I am definitely not an expert, but it looks like you are bringing your chest down to feel like you are getting your back at the right angle. I think this is where the proud chest cue would I'm in. You can also try to think of keeping your shoulder blades back and pushing together for a similar effect. The end goal is to get yourself pivoting at the hips and not at the upper back. Otherwise, these look like decent squats. Keep it up!

Heya man. I've been lurking for awhile as you get yourself straightened out, and my first and chief comment is that you're doing a bang-up job at self-adjustment.

Some notes on recent reps:

1) Press. That wrist thing is real. It's also a weakness of mine: At 75% of max weight I'm a superhero; at PR weights I get a lot of wrist-cock. Things that help: a) You have already guessed this one but I'll underline it. Tighten the hell out of those straps. It should be the last thing you do before you approach the bar. Meaning: They should be so tight that you cannot possibly bear to have them on for a second longer than it takes to approach, lift, and retreat from the bar. The secret sauce is b) Creep the wraps up a bit! You should have about 3/4 of the wrap on your wrist-proper, and 1/4 (or even slightly more) on the lower hand.

2) Deadlift. The rounding you got at 240 is less than ideal, but is also less than alarming. You are observing flexion-under-tension, which is natural for less-naturally-athletic lifters, and NOT failure-by-flexion, which is unacceptable form deviation. That said, you could use a clinic on step 4 of the 5-step DL setup. In that respect you're in the company of (my estimate) 65% of all lifters everywhere. The form deficiency not related to strength: Lockout. You must lock out your deadlifts by coming to full hip extension at the top. Not hyperextension (you needn't lean *back* at the top like a doofus). But full, neutral extension. Your top position is slightly hinge forward at the hips, and therefore not fully (competition-legal, I just did a no-foolin' IPF-worthy deadlift) locked out.

3) Squat. At 150lbs you look remarkably solid. Seems the TUBOW is helping with knee lockin. Are there form deficiencies? Sure. But they are much fewer and less severe than you seem to be convinced of. Recall the (paraphrased) advice of Coach Wolf: If you're executing at a B or better, increase weight. The idea being that when your 225 squat is at a B, your 175 squat will be at A or A+ (or if you're truly uncoordinated, as you claim to be, A-). But don't keep hacking along for the A+ before moving up. Increase weight incrementally and accept that your form compliance will be on an A to B continuum where your newly executed PR is a B, and weight 0.85B will be A- or better. To paraphrase some other smart and probably dead guy, don't let your quest for the "Perfect" defeat your execution of the "Good Enough." Your 150lb squat is more than sufficiently well-performed to move on in weight. Real talk: I'd have moved forward on your 165s as well; those were a B- due to knee-slide; I'd not place them in C territory. As you stand now: I say keep your TUBOW since it seems to be helping, stay tight and solid, and move the heck forward, sir.

4) Bench. Also remarkably solid, with one notable exception: Elbow flare. Your problem at 150 is my problem at 325. Both of us do this: On descent, we tuck elbows quite nicely according to the model. On ascent, our elbows go from tuck to flare when the weight gets heavy. It's not so bad at 150 that you should deload or halt progress; but it's worth noting and working on intra-progression.

Non-lift-specific stuff:

1) Where is thy belt, good sir? Get thou a belt post-haste. You look like a guy with a torso that needs a 3-incher. Dominion makes a good one at that width. The proprioceptive reference it will give you in deadlift-tightening alone will make up for the purchase price.

2) You're not at GOMAD age by any means, but did I see that you're taking in <2700 calories currently? You've got some years on me (I'm 41) but I can't imagine doing anything more strenuous than showering and driving to work on less than 3000.

Keep getting after it, brother. Your diligence is admirable.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Levine View Post
    [B]I've set arbitrary strength goals for the year. These goals are:

6) Open the big pickle jar unassisted
    That is a lofty goal. You sure know how to set the bar high.

Default Body and Diet Stats for Week 3

Body and Diet Stats for Week 3
    Notes:
    - Got new glucometer, and it's giving results way different than what I'm used to. I'm testing it with control solution. Blood sugar stats no good again this week.
    - Starting to track total weight/LBM gain. Numbers are suspect right now (Navy Body Fat Formula isn't that accurate), but should paint a clearer picture over time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Bischoff View Post
    Where is thy belt, good sir?
    - Should arrive Monday. A custom Pioneer 4" 10mm belt. It took some time because I got a custom size between M and L to handle me now at my thinnest, and later at what I'm guessing to be my thickest. Then, I have to figure out how to use it.
    2) You're not at GOMAD age by any means, but did I see that you're taking in <2700 calories currently? You've got some years on me (I'm 41) but I can't imagine doing anything more strenuous than showering and driving to work on less than 3000.
    - I think I have the nutrition under control. I'm gaining weight using nutritive food. If I stop gaining about 1lb/week, I have OCD-level spreadsheets that will catch that and bring my macro targets up. I also might try adding more when I stall, if I'm not in danger of exceeding my goal of staying under 25%bf.
    Keep getting after it, brother. Your diligence is admirable.
    - Thank you, and thank you for the form checks as well. I haven't been watching bench and press as much as I should, focusing on the lower body lifts, but you are indeed correct.

Body Stats:
    Height: 5'9.7"
    Weight: 177.2lb (Up 2.7lb)
    Neck: 15.5" (Unchanged)
    Waist: 34" (Up 1/4")
    Body Fat (by Navy Calculator): 16.6% (Up 0.5%)
    LBM (by Navy Calculator): 148lb (Up 2lb)
    Average morning/fasting blood sugar: N/A
    Total Weight Gain on NLP: 2.7lb
    Total LBM Gain on NLP: 3lb

Diet Stats:
    Average calories/day: 2,676
    Average protien/day: 266g
    Average carbs/day: 267g
    Average fat/day: 67g
    Protien from dairy: 362g - 2.8 GOM equivalent (19%)
    Supplementation and drugs:
    - 5,000 IU of Vitamin D per day
    - 1 Flintsones multivitamin/day
    - 10mg Atorvastatin/day
    - 1 OTC Esomeprazole/2 days
    - 5g Creatine per day
    - 15tsp benefiber per day
    - 2g+ DHA and EPA per day, in the form of canned salmon

Workout 11 of 150 - Sunday 1/13 and Monday 1/14
    This workout
    - Nearly had wreck trying to get squat grip right - have to learn to handle that better (last vid on Instagram)
    - Finally got 3x5 chins, but I spread out the workout. Did chins on Sunday while coaching my son, and the rest of the workout Monday. I had a LOT of rest between chin sets - he would do warmups and three worksets before I did another set, so probably 15-20 minutes between chin sets.
    - Really need to focus on wrists on press

Chins: (179.8+4.25)=184.05x5x3
    Squat: 155x5x3
    Press : 85x5x3
    Deadlift: 245x5x1

Adam Levine on Instagram: “Workout 11 of 150 Was working on grip position on squat and keeping the weight on my back instead of my arms. Looking a bit better, but…”

Hey Adam,

Squat depth is high. Get your butt back more and your knees out quicker. You need to make space to get to depth.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Brophy View Post
    Hey Adam,

Squat depth is high. Get your butt back more and your knees out quicker. You need to make space to get to depth.
    I know. I was concentrating on grip and bar position for this workout, and let depth slide. I generally try to work on one issue at a time, and I have a lot of issues.

Some of my earlier workouts had good depth, but we're worse on other issues. It's a process. A slow, frustrating process.

It is one we all go through. Stay with it and it will come, just be careful of adding weight when form (particularly depth) isn't there. I will say from personal preference I have never been able to squat with wrist wraps on. The bar feels better and more secure without them. In my mind it should feel better with them but in practice it doesn't for me. IMO,if its a choice between hand position or working depth I'd solve for depth first.

Default Workout 12 of 150 - Wednesday 1/16

starting strength coach development program
    Workout 12 of 150 - Wednesday 1/16
    This workout
    - Didn't sleep well the night before and felt it. Low energy. Also changed my pre-workout from Sweet Tarts and Coffee to Overnight Oats. Much healthier. Much less effective - no sugar buzz.
    - Missed last rep on bench for sets 2 and 3.
    - Short workout due to early AM work meeting - only did Squat and Bench.
    - Squat weight back up to pre-reset levels. I think the time was well spent - form did improve, and 160 felt much easier than last time. Comparison video on Instagram.
    - Wore my new weightlifting belt. No idea how to use it.

Squat: 160x5x3
    Bench: 152.5x5,4,4

Adam Levine on Instagram: “Workout 12 of 150 Wore belt for the first time. Just wore it, didn't really use it - I haven't figured that out yet. Short workout due…”

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast