starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Training log:

Default My Training log:

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Decided to start posting my training logs as a novice lifter after a few months of lurking.

Male
    Weight: 173 (up from 165 as of Feb 10)
    Height: 5’3”

Began SS in earnest 2/10/2019. I did some unfocused lifting for a few months prior skipping in and out for SL 5x5, but didn’t make the sort of gains I am now.

Current lifts are as follows (3 work sets, 5 reps each)
    Squat: 150
    Deadlift (1x5): 205
    Bench: 130
    Press: 95

I signed up for a novice meet for September 28 here in VA and to focus my training on something specific. As far as a background that others are posting, I played some sports in school but was always the slowest and weakest, and had no competitive drive had had some examples that weren’t focused on fitness at all. I was a scrawny vegan in my teens and early 20s (sold out when I started hanging out with College Republicans circa 2003) started lifting at the YMCA after a girl broke up with me for another dude, and got into lifting for real a few months ago after a long hiatus of getting fat and bullshitting around on Facebook getting into political arguments.

Weights are as of 4/2/19; won’t be in the gym until at least Monday due to kids activities (Den Leader, going camping).

Much respect to you Coach Rip for coming up with this program. As soon as I learned you were from Texas there was going to no bull.

Welcome. You have come to the right place. It's good that you are starting at a relatively young age. I only started at age 66 and am delighted with my progress. I'm glad to see that you take being a Dad seriously. This is a no bs program and the results of that shows.

Thank you Mr. Carson;

Had an off day today; moved up on my lifts from last time but didn’t make any of them.:

Deadlift:
    215x1, then 215x3; went back to 185 and did a few more.

Squat:
    155x4, had to bail and put the bars on the pins on the 5th.
    155x3
    155x4

Bench:
    135x4
    135x3
    135x4

Played Manowar the entire training session today.

Squat: 155, 3x5, 160 for two more reps

Press: 100, 3x3

Skipped DL today, still recovering from last time. Did benching (135) and lat pull downs (165).

If I were you I would go see an SS coach just to see if you are actually reaching the end of you novice progression at least with DL. Having a fail on one set of DL should not discourage you. Consider trying 215 X 5 X 1 next time. If it fails go down to 200 then work your way back up. Or you may consider moving up by 5 pounds each session instead of 10. But I'm convinced that a certified SS coach is the best way for all lifters to go even if only on occasion for a form check. Keep up the good work. You will find that the only way to gain strength is to keep at it.

Training Log 4/10/2019

Squat: 160

Bench: 135
    4;4;3

DL: 215
    3 reps, backed off 10 lbs and did five reps.

Did some lat pull downs @ 165 but beyond that stick with the core programming lifts.

Fractional plates coming in the mail.

Today:
    Squat: 165, 5x3
    Press: 100, 5x3
    DL: 215, 5 reps but spaced out; 2 reps, 30 seconds until I could do the next, then two more, don’t know if this counts as a legit 5 reps.

Today: some huge bro and his small girlfriend were dominating the squat rack and DL area for instagram bullshit, which threw off my program routine. Did bench @ 135, only did 4 on my mid set. I made use of that other shitty rack they had and after warmups the joints of my him and femur were felling funny so pulled back. Did some 3/4 chins as that’s all I could muster and pushed the sled this around with 200 pounds on it.

You pushed the prowler with 200 lbs on it. Holy Cow! How far did you push it?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    You pushed the prowler with 200 lbs on it. Holy Cow! How far did you push it?
    I’m going to say 50 feet, about 8 times

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast