starting strength gym

Thread: Ed's Training Log

Default Ed's Training Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    FIRST POST

I am new to SS, but I have been listening to the Barbell Logic podcast for six months or more. I had been training with Stronglifts 5x5 since October 2017, and apart from two surgeries that sidelined me for six weeks each, I followed the plan faithfully. However, toward the end of 2018, I noticed that I had plateaued. I can chalk much of that stalling to bad diet, but I was growing increasingly frustrated with the program, especially as I got a weekly dose of Barbell Logic. Finally, starting January 1, 2019, I switched over to SS. I downloaded the app, bought the book, and hit the gym. This log will help document the journey.

A bit about me -- I am a 47 year old father and husband. I write code professionally. Before I started lifting, I was a distance runner for many years. After running two marathons in 2009, I burned out on running and became less and less disciplined until I quit running altogether sometime in the early 20-teens. Years passed and my belly grew thanks to idleness, lots of top-quality beer, and a shitty diet. I started with Stronglifts in 2016 to do something -- anything -- physical to stop my decline. I wasn't committed and had many setbacks. Then, in October 2017 I committed to strength training and hit the gym in earnest.

My current body weight is 216. At 5'10", that puts me in the obese category. Yes, a (un)healthy bulge swells out from the top of my weight belt. My PRs are as follows:
    • Deadlift 5RM = 275
    • Bench 5RM = 165
    • Squat 5RM = 270
    • Press 5RM = 125

I work out Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.

Squat - 3x5 260
    Bench - 3x5 165
    Deadlift - 1x5 245

I nailed all my sets today. I hadn't had such a successful workout in a while, so it felt like a win. My focus today was my squat form. I've read squat chapter in the blue book and watched a Barbell Logic tutorial on YouTube. With a headful of cues, I concentrated hard as I sank down. I had a lot to change -- grip, hand width on the bar, keeping the bar over the midfoot, maintaining even pressure across the whole foot, etc. The only thing I didn't lock down, I think, was my head and forward lean. I was trying to watch my descent in the mirror; therefore, my head was facing too much forward instead of toward the floor, and my torso wasn't as horizontal as it should have been. Things to remember for next time.

I felt great about my bench press and deadlift. My butt only left the bench a couple times, so I refocused on keeping that locked down. My deadlift just made me happy.

After another workout or two focusing on my squat, I'll do the same for the other lifts. I'll continue reading the book, but I'll intensely study the chapter for the given lift and the YouTube tutorials.

Today was a good day.

Squat 4/5/2 265
    Press 3x5 125
    Deadlift 1x5 250

I'm thinking about lowering my squat increment from 5 pounds to 2.5. I've got the fractional plates, so that wouldn't be a big deal. 265 is where I plateau. I've deloaded several times after failing at 265. What have I got to lose? Maybe I will deload to 262.5 next time. One thing different with my squats this time was that I focused on my head position and forward lean. I kept my head down, and guess what? I found it easier to hit depth. Actually, when I missed my first work set, I think it had a lot to do with me checking my depth in the mirror and therefore not having my head in the right place. I made my next set, though it was tough. If I had rested a little longer, I probably would have made the third set too.

With the other two lifts, I rocked them both. I'm really pleased with my pressing. Each workout feels great. Same with deadlifts.

5' 10" at 216 is nothing to worry about. I'm 5'10" at 226. Keep working and you will slim a bit as the fat turns to muscle. Don't worry about the weight. Keep it up. You may catch me with your lifts. ;-)

Before you do 2.5 lb increments, first redo the weight at least twice until you get it and move on. Sometimes we just have a bad day or a sticking point that when you get through it, you see more progress. If you do need to cut back on increases, keep it at 5 lb, but only on Monday and Friday. On Wednesday you do about 90% of Monday's weight, and maybe only 2x5. This makes We'd more of an active recovery day and you are still going up 10 lb a week instead of the 7.5 lb a week you get with the smaller increment.

I also agree with Carson - 216 isn't bad. I'd try to eat to keep that, maybe even going up to 220 or 225 while watching the waist go down. Are you tracking how much you are eating, and if so, can you post calories and macros here? You probably should be 3000+, but that's just a ballpark and things change as we age.

Squat - 2/2/2 265
    Bench - 3x5 167.5
    Deadlift - 1x5 255

Wow, people are checking out my log. Hi fellas. Thanks for your comments!

I'm going to go way, way out on a limb and suggest I missed those squat sets because of all the booze last night. I got a little wobbly and woke up feeling gross. I gotta knock that out -- drinking the night before a workout. My legs felt weak and unsteady, which is not a good feeling with a loaded bar on my back.

Apart from the squat, I was really pleased with today. I'm thrilled with the bench, especially. It was difficult and somewhat scary bringing that much weight over my face, but I pushed out the reps for another 5RM. And my deadlift felt great.

Keep up the good work. Any progress is progress.

starting strength coach development program
    Squat 3x5 265 !!!
    Press 3/4/3 127.5
    Deadlift 1x5 260

I'm spent. This was a tough workout. But I made some observations. First, being hung over has a measurable negative effect on my workouts. Shocking, right? Today, I wasn't dehydrated and nauseated and had a great workout. Second, there's a limit to how many cues I can keep in my head as I am coming up from the bottom of a squat work set. It's hard to think when your eyeballs are about to explode out of your face. I need to focus on one or two -- not seven. The main thing I tried focusing on today was keeping my torso alignment appropriately horizontal by keeping my gaze fixed on a point on the floor. Surprisingly, this helped me also focus on the master cue and everything else. When I finished with squats, I was sweating, huffing & puffing, and light-headed. I had to sit down for a few minutes before I moved on to presses.

My press was tough, but as I am in PR territory, that's not surprising. Deadlifts were easy. I think my DL plateau may be over. Last night, I watched the Barbell Logic tutorial on deadlifts and switched up my form considerably. My feet came closer together. Coming up wasn't painful because my shins were against the smooth part of the bar instead of the knurling. And focusing on the leg extension aspect rather than the back made it all come together. Good stuff.

Have a great weekend.