starting strength gym
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Deployment Gains

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by positronbomb View Post
    You can expect around 14 weeks of steady gains then things will start slowing down.

For a 5 rep max these would definitely be achievable for your size.

Squat around 360 to 420lbs
    Deadlift around 380 to 460lbs
    Bench around 240 to 280lbs
    Press around 180 to 230lbs
    If I end up anywhere near the low end of these numbers I will be estatic. It will be interesting to see how close I get.

Need some help with the timing of my protein supplements. I work nights, so my schedule is 1800 to 0600. I eat dinner at 1730 and I eat again at 0000. I usually workout at 0100 or 0200, depending on the workload. I take whey protein right after I lift. I’m starting to take casein protein right before I go to sleep at 0800. Should I take any more protein supplements, maybe between my meal, say at 2130?

Any help is appreciated.

Basically you want 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight divided into at least 4 to 5 (or even 6) meals.
    If it was 200 grams, into 5 meals then around 40 grams per meal.
    So you could have 3 regular meals plus a protein shake before and after you train for 5 protein meals.
    Basically eat as many small meals, evenly divided throughout the day (eg every 3 hours) to make sure you hit your protein target.

Basically you want 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight divided into at least 4 to 5 (or even 6) meals.
    If it was 200 grams, into 5 meals then around 40 grams per meal.
    So you could have 3 regular meals plus a protein shake before and after you train for 5 protein meals.
    Basically eat as many small meals, evenly divided throughout the day (eg every 3 hours) to make sure you hit your protein target.
    Thank you for the feedback. I have a feeling I’m supplementing too much. But it’s hard to eat enough ‘meals’. I could eat again at 0600 to get more protein.

1-24-19

Squat - 235 x 5 x 3
    Press - 115 x 5 x 3
    Deadlift - 255 x 5 x 1

The lifts felt good. Squat in particular felt good. Much better than last time. It felt heavier but the lift went smoother. Also on the press I was scheduled for 110 but couldn’t find 2 1/2 lb plates. So I ended up doing 115 lbs. Made all the reps.

Quote Originally Posted by a_jester65 View Post
    Thank you for the feedback. I have a feeling I’m supplementing too much. But it’s hard to eat enough ‘meals’. I could eat again at 0600 to get more protein.
    Do whatever is necessary to reach your protein target.
    If that means supplementation then that is what you should do.
    Whey is still food, just as cheese is food, if not then you can't claim that cheese is food.

Just a tip, I don't bother with casein at night anymore.
    I just mix whey with milk instead of water at night to slow down the absorption. That way I can save some money by buying whey in bulk.

Do whatever is necessary to reach your protein target.
    If that means supplementation then that is what you should do.
    Whey is still food, just as cheese is food, if not then you can't claim that cheese is food.

Just a tip, I don't bother with casein at night anymore.
    I just mix whey with milk instead of water at night to slow down the absorption. That way I can save some money by buying whey in bulk.
    I really appreciate all your feedback

1-28-19

Squat - 245 x 5 x 3
    Bench - 175 x 5 x 3
    Deadlift - 265 x 5 x 1

Tonight was a decent lift. Squats weren’t hard but I felt like my form might have been breaking down some. Really need to focus next week on form. So with bench I couldn’t find 2 1/2 pound plates around the gym. So I increased the weight by 10 pounds since last lift. I got away with it this week as I made all the reps. But I need to find more 2.5 plates. I can’t be making 10 pound jumps every time. Deadlift was heavy but not hard. The hardest part was the grip. Next week will be interesting. I’m looking forward to the next session.
    Last edited by a_jester65; 01-27-2019 at 10:16 PM.

Get a set of microplates man!

Some folks will ship fast and cheap to deployed areas. I think you're IVO Arifjan; so maybe Ali Al-Salem or Beuhring? I bet you could get your own microplates from Rogue or Microgainz out to you quick and cheap. Gotta use that deployment HF pay somehow amirite?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Bischoff View Post
    Get a set of microplates man!

Some folks will ship fast and cheap to deployed areas. I think you're IVO Arifjan; so maybe Ali Al-Salem or Beuhring? I bet you could get your own microplates from Rogue or Microgainz out to you quick and cheap. Gotta use that deployment HF pay somehow amirite?
    So last session I was bitching about not being able to find 2.5 lb plates. Well, today they were plentiful. It was like the weightlifting gods were playing a joke. But I am still seriously considering buying a set of micro plates to keep with me.
    Last edited by a_jester65; 01-29-2019 at 10:55 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast