starting strength gym

Thread: Jon's Training Log

Default Jon's Training Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey guys,

My name is Jon and I'm a new forum member. I began starting strength February 2019, with a goal of using NLP for 6 months without switching programs. My primary motivation for training is that I'm a part-time firefighter, and I want to remain a firefighter for as long as possible. My current demographic:

Height: 5' 11"
    Weight: 234 lbs

I began SS on 2/4/19 with the following training session:

Safety Bar Squat: 195 lbs x 5, 5, 5
    OH Press: 122.5 lbs x 2, 3, 3
    Deadlift: 260 lbs x 5

My last training session from 3/7/2019:

Squat: 245 lbs x 5, 5, 5
    OH Press: 112.5 x 5, 5, 5
    Deadlift: 280 x 5

Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Take care,

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by jsylvia View Post
    Hey guys,

My name is Jon and I'm a new forum member. I began starting strength February 2019, with a goal of using NLP for 6 months without switching programs. My primary motivation for training is that I'm a part-time firefighter, and I want to remain a firefighter for as long as possible. My current demographic:

Height: 5' 11"
    Weight: 234 lbs

I began SS on 2/4/19 with the following training session:

Safety Bar Squat: 195 lbs x 5, 5, 5
    OH Press: 122.5 lbs x 2, 3, 3
    Deadlift: 260 lbs x 5

My last training session from 3/7/2019:

Squat: 245 lbs x 5, 5, 5
    OH Press: 112.5 x 5, 5, 5
    Deadlift: 280 x 5

Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Take care,

Jon
    Welcome Jon! I appreciate what you do for your community. I also can relate to starting the program in your late forties. I'm 49 and started 2/14/19. Are you not bench pressing for some reason or did you not list it because your 3/7/19 session was a OHP day?

Thanks for the welcome! Yes, I am benching. My starting bench weight last month was 157.5 lbs. My last bench session was 160 lbs x 5, 5, 5.

I checked out your training log, keep up the good work.

3/10/2019 Training:

Safety Bar Squat: 250 x 4, 5, 5
    Bench: 162.5 x 5, 5, 4
    BB Row: 145 x 5, 5, 5

4/4/2019 Training:

Safety Bar Squat: 250 x 5, 5, 5
    OH Press: 115 x 5, 5, 5
    Deadlift: 285 x 5

3/12/2019 Training:

Safety Bar Squat: 250 x 5, 202 x 5, 5, 5, 5
    Bench: 135 x 5 x 5
    Deadlift: 226 x 5

3/14/19 - 4/2/2019: On 3/12/19 I hit a huge wall while squatting - I felt like shit, and barely got 250 x 5 reps. So in following my normal pattern of behavior, I dumped my LP program and went back to my comfort zone of 5/3/1 programming. I trained all through the weeks of 3/14 - 4/2, just not using LP. After re-reading Practical Programming for Strength, reading articles on SS, and watching SS & Barbell Logic Youtube videos, I decided to re-start LP. When I get stuck again, which I know will happen soon, I'm going to try and make minor tweaks, such as adding a light/medium day, and keeping plugging away at the weight I'm stuck at. I'm trying not relapse with being a chronic program jumper, but quitting CPJ is not easy for me.... Going try and slow down and take training one day at a time.

How can you tell that your LP will last only 6 months? It may end sooner it may extend for a few more. Novice progression isn't on that kind of time table. What ends the novice progression is when you can't add 2.5 lbs. to presses for 3 sessions (more or less) and you can't add 5 lbs to deads and squats for 3 sessions (more or less). Find a Starting Strength coach and meet with them as often as you can. It may be three times per week for the duration. It may be one session a month. Or it may be something in between.

No one can tell you what your final lifting goals should be but a coach can help you reach them safely and consistently. For myself when I reach a goal and I'm still chugging along I set some new goal. E.g., I'm 72 my top singles are dead: 374; squat:267.5; Bench: 180; Press: 128. My new goals are dead: 405; Squat: 315; Bench: 200; Press: 140. Whether I make those goals or not isn't as important as I keep at it every session and don't jump around. A SS coach can help you do that.

Hi Carson,

I did throw an arbitrary number out there (6 months), just to give me a time goal to shoot for. Realistically, I should have been more conservative with 8 to 12 weeks for running LP.

My personal issue is that I feel my lift totals could be much higher than they are now. I always feel good physically running a program like 5/3/1, but I want to challenge myself more with LP and run LP out as long as I can without jumping ship when I hit a strength wall.

Hiring a strength coach is out of the question. I do not have the disposable income right now. Maybe that is something I can do in the future.

Nice job on still training at 72 and meeting your goals!

~ Jon

Thanks for the kind words. Keep up the work. If you can do so every session either 3 times per week or twice per week.

starting strength coach development program
    Hi mate,

Also a new member here, but not a beginner.
    Take it from me, dont program hop. Also dont modify anything. Start where the programmer recommends...and see it through. It might seem a little boring to do this, and it can be, but the bigger picture needs to be respected.

Trust the process. And to do that, you gotta see it through. Ive been training for 8 odd years, just coming back from a big layoff and i didnt even consider starting anywhere but from the bottom.