• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Good to see you back at it!

4/4/19 Week 7

Squat: 115x5x3 YouTube
    Press: 75x5x3 YouTube
    Deadlift: 190x5 YouTube

I definitely underestimated how sore I would be after the last workout (first one in 3 weeks) so took an extra day off. Now I'm on Thurs/Sat/Mon schedule. Anyways, squats felt really good today. I'm still shocked how my shoulders and elbows have not been stiff after the time off. Overhead press was heavier than I remember, even after dropping 10lbs from my previous work sets a few weeks ago. Deadlift felt about the same, although watching the video I feel like my hips are too high in the start position.

4/6/19

Squat: 120x5x3 YouTube
    Bench: 75x5x3 YouTube
    Chins: BWx6,5,5

4/8/19

Squat: 125x5x3 YouTube
    Press: 80x5x3 YouTube
    Deadlift: 195x5 YouTube

I did some yard work yesterday and I got a few blisters on my hands. They bubbled up but didn't quite tear so I was able to lift this morning, thankfully. I did still have to wear gloves though, which made deadlifting very interesting. Hopefully they will heal up by Thursday.

4/12/19 Week 8

Squat: 130x5x3 YouTube
    Bench: 80x5x3 YouTube
    Chins: BWx6,6,5

I gave the blisters an extra day to heal before doing chin-ups so I'm back on my original Wed/Fri/Sun schedule. I tried to focus on keeping my wrists straight during bench but my forearms began to tilt forward a little. I think I've been used to having my wrists bent backward so hopefully I can overcome that habit.

4/14/19

Squat: 135x5x3 YouTube
    Press: 85x5x3 YouTube
    Deadlift: 200x5 YouTube

Everything felt heavy today. Minimal sleep last night due to multiple tornado warnings, kids up, and then did some house work this morning before working out. Didn't have a big dinner last night either. Today was rough so I'm looking forward to Tuesday.

4/16/19

Squat: 140x5x3 YouTube
    Bench: 85x5x3 YouTube
    Chins: BWx7,6,5

Today was redemption. Squats felt great, reps felt consistent. Bench is moving along still and chins are progressing as well. Good day.

Squats are looking nice! Good job! I'm really enjoying following your log. Love all the video. Not sure if you want unsolicited form tips, but if you're interested I have a couple of suggestions for your press and deadlift.

I will offer this one piece of unsolicited advice though. Now that you're comfortable with all the lifts, you've got to take some bigger jumps on your bench. If you had chosen your starting weights as described in the book, you would have started with a lot more weight on the bar for your bench than for your press. Your slow and steady approach has gotten you into decent working range for the squat, press, and deadlift, but the fact that you're pressing the same weight you're benching is a problem. It's not uncommon to finish LP with 100 lbs between your bench and press, and the press is usually the first lift to stall out. You're going to create a programming headache for yourself if your press stalls out and your bench still has 100 lbs of room left to grow, and your press will likely stall out earlier than it would if you were obtaining the strength and muscle building adaptation that heavier benching will produce. I'd advise taking some 10 lbs jumps on the bench, and switching to 2.5 lbs jumps on the press earlier than you think you have to so that you can get them balanced out a bit better.

Quote Originally Posted by Dillon Spencer View Post
    Squats are looking nice! Good job! I'm really enjoying following your log. Love all the video. Not sure if you want unsolicited form tips, but if you're interested I have a couple of suggestions for your press and deadlift.

I will offer this one piece of unsolicited advice though. Now that you're comfortable with all the lifts, you've got to take some bigger jumps on your bench. If you had chosen your starting weights as described in the book, you would have started with a lot more weight on the bar for your bench than for your press. Your slow and steady approach has gotten you into decent working range for the squat, press, and deadlift, but the fact that you're pressing the same weight you're benching is a problem. It's not uncommon to finish LP with 100 lbs between your bench and press, and the press is usually the first lift to stall out. You're going to create a programming headache for yourself if your press stalls out and your bench still has 100 lbs of room left to grow, and your press will likely stall out earlier than it would if you were obtaining the strength and muscle building adaptation that heavier benching will produce. I'd advise taking some 10 lbs jumps on the bench, and switching to 2.5 lbs jumps on the press earlier than you think you have to so that you can get them balanced out a bit better.
    Thanks Dillon! I'm glad you're enjoying my log. I'm open to suggestions for the press and deadlift - I have these lifts tomorrow so let me know soon. I'll take your suggestion and go to 2.5lb jumps on the press. My last set at 85 felt really heavy and I doubt I could hit 100lbs without stalling.

starting strength coach development program
    4/18/19 Week 9

Squat: 145x5x3 YouTube
    Press: 87.5x5x3 YouTube
    Deadlift: 205x5 YouTube

I'm glad I went to 2.5lb jumps on the press. They felt heavy again today and I feel like I'm struggling to balance the bar at the top. I think it's time to re-read the Chapter 3.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast