• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Stats:

Sex: Male
    Height: 6'4"
    Weight: 305 lbs

Background:

Fat but fairly active... I currently still play competitive baseball in the summers. Basically I’ve been up and down around this weight for 25 years but I’ve seen the writing on the wall in regards to excess weight and age. In 2017 I ruptured my achilles playing on turf by stopping fast running between 2nd and 3rd. Other injuries of note are a meniscus tear from basketball in my 30s that will flair up every once and a while, and golfer's elbow in my non-throwing arm that has been fairly constant for the past year. So, I’m hoping this log will show my weight reduce to a more normal level while my strength increases. Today is my 5th day without sugar or caffeine. I’ve had a bad soda habit all my life...

I’ve never trained via barbells... I have trained off and on at facility that specializes in baseball for the last couple of years. But, I’ve always stuck to dumbbells, machines, sled work, cardio and mobility. I bought a copy of SS about a year ago after Kyle Body (founder of Driveline Baseball) tweeted if you’re a pitcher and you haven’t read this book, you’re stupid...

Finally, today, after reading all of the warnings about starting too heavy, I followed the prescribed procedure and set a conservative starting work sets and trying to focus on technique. I’m setting up a couple of sessions with a past trainer to check me on such. He is not SS certified, but is the best option I currently have.

Goals:

Increase general strength while losing weight to improve performance and longevity of my baseball playing.

BTW, I’m using the SS app on IOS and really liking it thus far!

Workout 001:

Squat: 115x5x3
    Press: 75x5x3
    Deadlift: 165x5x3 (yep, brain fart here, I know I should have only done 1 set)
    Last edited by BreadTruck28; 03-03-2019 at 07:17 PM.

Awesome job man. Make sure you’re hitting your protein goal everyday.

Thanks man! Yep, tracking those macros closely via the MyFitnessPal app. It’s crazy, with the sugar out of my system I have to almost force myself to eat at times... I’m hoping it’s going to be a slow steady loss down to a reasonable weight with just making that change. I lost down to 260 last winter way too fast and put it all back on and then some quicker...

Welcome. I understand the no sugar but why no caffeine?

Good start. Have you checked the nutrition section in this forum section?

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    Welcome. I understand the no sugar but why no caffeine?

Good start. Have you checked the nutrition section in this forum section?
    Thanks. My only source of caffeine previously was soda. I haven’t used any pre-workout in the last year or so. I’m not strongly against caffeine, but I’ve always had trouble falling to sleep and over the last week that seems to be improved. I haven’t looked too much into the nutrition forum, but I will now, thanks for the advice.