• starting strength seminar october 2024
    APRIL 6
    SQUAT : 92.5x5x3
    BENCH : 70x5x3
    DEAD : 127.5x5x1

Quote Originally Posted by wd40 View Post
    MARCH 19

NOTES:
    My brilliant wife is taking the strain in the morning with the kids and is creating me time to train before work. I think she secretly likes my increasing strength. Also making me tuna sandwiches for lunch <3
    Nice one.

APRIL 12

SQUAT : 95x5x3
    PRESS : 55.5x5x3
    DEAD : 130x5x1

Notes:
    Still not enough training. Split training today with squats and press before work and dead lifts after. Press heavy but moving up pr's pleasingly.
    Back to pre reset squat and dl. Dl without a belt to see how i faired and spent lots if time on setup and rereading the chapter in ssbbt. Pleased with form mechanics which made weight feel lighter (no surprises there). Back twinge on the last rep but nothing major.

Day after the last workout was sore but i had things to do which involved lots of moderate to heavy lifting ~50kg, farmers walk/shoulder carry. By the end of the day my lower back was shot to the point of needing a few days recovery. Im sure this wasnt helped by my lp in spite of >7 days of no training.

Most of last week spent recovering with light weights and watching yt vids for form and comparing with my own vids. LP started again on monday after a good session on saturday and im resolving to 3 workouts per week and put an end to my stop/start from back tweaks. Im being especially (too?) cautious on the dead lift as thats how ive hurt myself. I think i have a tendancy to over arch my lower back and almost tilt my hips back so am working on that and taking small steps till confidence builds. Im aware im way off my previous 140.

I also figured out the app and its added chins and power cleans into the mix.

APRIL 20
    SQUAT : 85x5x3
    PRESS : 50x5x3
    DEAD : 110x5x1

APRIL 22
    SQUAT : 90x5x3
    BENCH : 65x5x3
    DEAD : 112.5x5x1
    CHIN : 10x3 bodyweight

APRIL 24
    SQUAT : 92.5x5x3
    PRESS : 52.5x5x3
    CLEAN : 40x3x5
    CHIN : 12x2, 10x1 bodyweight

There's a real lack of lubricating fluids discussed in here. Far less than expected.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivey View Post
    There's a real lack of lubricating fluids discussed in here. Far less than expected.
    I just have to share a funny family story, which comes up EVERY time WD40 is mentioned. My older cousin was visiting from California, and we were at my mom's for dinner. She asked me to look at a squeaky door hinge, and mentioned that she had some WD40 handy. My cousin treated us to a 10 minute discourse on how "WD40 is NOT a lubricant"!!!! (and, technichally, he's right, it's not, it's a water dispersant - hence the 'WD').

Quote Originally Posted by SeanThornton View Post
    I just have to share a funny family story, which comes up EVERY time WD40 is mentioned. My older cousin was visiting from California, and we were at my mom's for dinner. She asked me to look at a squeaky door hinge, and mentioned that she had some WD40 handy. My cousin treated us to a 10 minute discourse on how "WD40 is NOT a lubricant"!!!! (and, technichally, he's right, it's not, it's a water dispersant - hence the 'WD').

But did it help with the squeak?

The world will never know. He made me go out and buy some 3-in-1 oil!

Penetratrating oil = lubricant in my books. Funny how the theoretical and practical sides can be at odds with one another - I bet your cousin has really soft hands...

APRIL 27
    SQUAT : 95x5x3
    BENCH : 67.5x5x3
    DEAD : 115x5
    CHIN : 10x3 bodyweight

APRIL 29
    SQUAT : 97.5x5x3
    PRESS : 55x5x3
    CLEAN : 45x3x5
    CHIN : 10 x 3 bodyweight

MAY 3
    SQUAT : 100x5x3
    PRESS : 57.5 x 5 failed on second set on 4th rep rested and finished single rep, failed final set on 3rd
    DEAD : 117.5x5
    CHIN : 3x10 +2.5 kg

Bodyweight 76.6kg

Pleased with squats and am holding back on deadlifts.
    Press was problematic and I was fighting an urge to use legs ala push press. The last reps were beyond me and I probably should have done bench today instead.
    Chins performed a considerable time after main workout.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by wd40 View Post
    Penetratrating oil = lubricant in my books. Funny how the theoretical and practical sides can be at odds with one another - I bet your cousin has really soft hands...
    Actually, he's a pretty tough guy, does all his own home projects, hunts, fishes, gun nut, the whole bit. Before he retired from teaching, he was the guy they picked to teach the "lock down" class with trouble-makers, gang-bangers, etc. Wonderfully nice guy, just gets to be a bit of a nit for a few particular things, including this.

Which reminds me of a great quote from Iowahawk (hilarious twitter feed, if you like a few daily laughs), and I'm paraphrasing here.....
    A person can be a snob on up to 3 subjects, and that's perfectly fine. More than that, though, and you're just an asshole

So, we all have a few things we can be a nit over. Just don't make it too many things, and you're good!

Also, grats on the BW++ chins, very nice!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast