starting strength gym
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: SS NLP at the Late Night Iron Gym

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Just curious. Why do you wish to reach 240 lbs? Check with the nutrition section or contact Karl Schudt. I don't think there is a problem with 240 but Karl is your height and cut back from 248 to 228 without losing strength.

Regarding chins: Be happy that you can do them. I haven't done a chin up since I was a teenager. How are you on pull ups. We have a woman about my age who can do them. I can't even do those.

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    Just curious. Why do you wish to reach 240 lbs? Check with the nutrition section or contact Karl Schudt. I don't think there is a problem with 240 but Karl is your height and cut back from 248 to 228 without losing strength.

Regarding chins: Be happy that you can do them. I haven't done a chin up since I was a teenager. How are you on pull ups. We have a woman about my age who can do them. I can't even do those.
    I'm not exactly sure about 240# to tell you the truth. Just thought I would get nice and big and strong then cut some of the fat later.

Given the difficulty of my progress lately I actually think my idea will no longer work. I think I am close to tapped out of LP gains.

Answering the first three questions, I am good on all but the eating part. I had 8+ min between squats and 7+ between on the press.

I will be emailing Robert Santana today and work the food part.

Regarding my chins, I am using a 50# band right now. Now that I fixed my elbow problem, I should be able to do better. That was a limiting me. But, I am still not great at them. My weak points are bench and chins.

Today was my day2 workout and was postponed until tomorrow.

I just want to say it was an honor to miss today's workout. Today is the last day of the season at Keystone. We talk about displaying our PR's in the gym, but we may not talk about our newly found (2 years) strength outside the gym in our day to day.

I went snowboarding with my soon to be 21 year old son, and was able to keep up with him, mostly. He has many more days on the mountain this year, I would say he had only about 10% on me. It was only my lack of cardio, and normal foot pain or I would have been toe to toe the whole day.

This reinforces why I do what I do. My youngest is 9 and I will need the strength to keep up for years to come.

What an absolute blessing it is to be able to workout hard 3 days a week for roughly an hour and to see such amazing results. I have never been stronger in all of my life.

To top it off, I also moved a sleeper couch up the stairs in my basement to my son's upstairs at his house. At this feat I totally crushed him. He was tied by the time it was over and it didn't faze me a bit, even though is was aquard and heavy.

My many thanks to everyone that works so hard to keep people like me strong! And of course, a special thanks to Coach Rip!

Back a bit late. The date and the time. Finished up at 10:30pm

Weight 221.4

Squat - 270x5x3
    Bench - 210x5x3
    PC - 127.5x3x5
    Chins - -50, 8, 8, 9

Finally feel like I am progressing chins. PR'd Bench, PC and Chins.

Started working with Robert Santana to get my diet straight. This is my biggest flaw. If I don't work at it, I just don't eat enough food and don't get enough protein.

Reset my squats from 290. That weight just kicked my butt. 270 felt good on the 2nd and third sets. The right side of my hip was hurting before I started. Now it feels fine. Interesting how that works. Kind of a mind game you have to go through to understand. Hip hurts, you think you should go easy, you push through it and it doesn't hurt when your done. Not exactly sure the science behind it. I think as I get my diet in order I'll hit 300 in no time. Will be a major milestone for me.
    Last edited by Matthew Spicka; 04-10-2019 at 07:31 AM.

Your story is inspiring and makes me wish I had found SS 30 years ago. Sigh...but I'm glad I found it 6 years ago. Keep up the good work.

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    Your story is inspiring and makes me wish I had found SS 30 years ago. Sigh...but I'm glad I found it 6 years ago. Keep up the good work.
    I would say I am pretty inspired as well. Woke up feeling amazing this morning.

Back at it late again.

Weight 220.6

Squat - 275x5x3
    Press - 152.5x5x3
    Dead - 350x5x1

Still fine tuning my diet. Squats were heavy. Press was near failure, Deads just keep going.

YouTube

Default SS NLP at the Late Night Iron Gym

Weight - 220#

Squat 280x5x3
    Bench 212.5x5x3
    PC - 130x3x5
    Chins -50 - 9, 10, 10

Am inching my way up in calories. I am on my second day of 3000. I hope it's enough for now. I don't know if I can shovel any more in. Of course I will adjust and and eat more if I need to.

Squat feeling stronger, 300 here I come. Beench is inching its way up. PC suck when I screw up my form and are easier when I do them right. Chins are inching as well.

Breckenridge is calling my name. Off to snowboarding tomorrow.
    Last edited by Matthew Spicka; 04-16-2019 at 07:18 PM.

Default SS NLP at the Late Night Iron Gym

Weight 220.4

Finished early today. Am now using a Buzz Saw pre-workout. I am still in the NLP without resorting to microplates below 1.25#.

Press - 155x5x3
    Squat - 285x5x3
    Dead - 360x5x1

Reversed my squat and press, thinking it would loosen my shoulders to help with my mobility issue. Not sure if it t worked but I think I managed to get my arm in the proper position. No shoulder pain!

Between the Buzz Saw and Pantera I'm surprised I didn't smash everthing in my garage.
    Last edited by Matthew Spicka; 04-16-2019 at 07:21 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Weight - 219#

Squat - 290
    Bench - 215
    PC - 132.5
    Chins - -50, 8,8,8

Long day, glad I was still able to work out.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast