Matthew - Strength Level

Current lifts as of 3/25/2019
    Squat 275#
    Dead 335#
    Press 145#
    Bench 202.5#
    PClean - 115#

Chin - band Assisted 7x3

Have a desk/driving sales job. A little bit of snowboarding in the winter & some hiking & biking in the summer.

Injuries include dislocated right knee from snowboarding about 3 times and some shoulder pain that I am unsure where it came from.

Day1
    Squat 5x3
    Press 5x3
    Dead 5x1

Day 2
    Squat 5x3
    Bench 5x3
    Clean 3x5
    Chin 3 sets

Last edited by Matthew Spicka; 03-25-2019 at 09:11 PM.

Squat - Reset 255x5x3 / for lack of depth.
    Press - 140x5x3
    Dead - 325x5x1

Welcome. What is your height?

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    Welcome. What is your height?
    6 ft.

DAY 3
    Squat - 260x5x4 - Still having problems with depth. Going ATG next workout.

Bench - 200x5x3

PClean - 105x3x5

Chins - 0 / too beat up. Shoulders hurt, elbows hurt.

Bands on the way to assist.

I think both shoulder and elbows hurt from flexability issues getting into the low bar position. Doing stretches everyday.
    Last edited by Matthew Spicka; 03-18-2019 at 10:04 AM.

I've had several problems with the squat over the years but the one that was perhaps the biggest was that I got into the habit of leaning too far forward. Do you video tape your lifts? If so, you may be able to determine if that is a problem or you may wish to post the video on the technique section of this forum.

I've had several problems with the squat over the years but the one that was perhaps the biggest was that I got into the habit of leaning too far forward. Do you video tape your lifts? If so, you may be able to determine if that is a problem or you may wish to post the video on the technique section of this forum.
    Good Morning Carson,
    Do you mean lean too far at the top or bottom? Are we talking about my depth problem or my shoulder elbow problem? I can stop my elbows from hurting on my work sets and it is possible I am sacrificing a bit of form to get that done. I have to bend my wrists to as well to help. I am 80% more flexible than when I started. I do have video of my work sets, but still have problems with not going low enough. If I post them I will be in trouble. Once I get a set low enough, I will post.

My depth problem was still creeping up on my last round of work sets. I am thinking of puting a small cardboard box under me and when I touch it I will know I am low enough. Either that or just go ass to grass.
    Last edited by Matthew Spicka; 03-18-2019 at 10:04 AM.

Have you posted a video on the technique section? I don't think I can tell whether the problem is at the top or the bottom without a video. However, think of your body like a teeter totter. If the chest drops 1" the hips go up 1". Chest up is the cue that usually helps me. Having a lifting partner who knows what they are doing, or a coach, or videos can help determine this.

My wife uses a box for getting the proper depth. It does seem to help. Ass to grass may cause you to lose the tightness you would need to bounce back up and may cause you to fall.

Weight 219

Squat - 265x5x3
    Press - 142.5x5x3
    Dead - 330x5x1

Still possible squat depth problems. Feels like I'm going lower but upon video review, I might not be going low enough. Video had the safety bar in the scene right at the bottom.

starting strength coach development program
    Have you posted a video on the technique section? I don't think I can tell whether the problem is at the top or the bottom without a video. However, think of your body like a teeter totter. If the chest drops 1" the hips go up 1". Chest up is the cue that usually helps me. Having a lifting partner who knows what they are doing, or a coach, or videos can help determine this.

My wife uses a box for getting the proper depth. It does seem to help. Ass to grass may cause you to lose the tightness you would need to bounce back up and may cause you to fall.
    Here is my last set today. Unfortunately the bar is in the way so I'm not sure if I'm lower. It feels lower, but my feelings don't matter. Take a look. I'll post in the forum as soon as I get a video that I know is at depth.

YouTube

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast